Looking into options for Mom/Grandma for possibility of ECV for next trip

pennylane16

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
We've been to WDW in 2013,2015,2017, so we're hoping to return next year in 2019. We're a party of 5 - myself, DH, DD, DS, and my mom. My mom is in her 60s and has rheumatoid arthritis, as well as back and knee problems. The past 3 trips she's gone without any kind of ECV and doesn't use one at home, but let's face it, WDW involves a lot more walking than usual, typically. Last trip, it was obvious she was struggling more so than in past years and she mentioned considering an ECV. She has concerns about "slowing down the group" and I'm trying to ease those worries for her so she can enjoy herself and not stress about how the ECV is affecting the group! Can anyone who has gone from doing WDW without an ECV to using one comment on the transition? What some of the differences are as far as getting around, getting on rides etc? Did you feel that things took a lot longer when using the ECV in the parks? I'm the planner for our trips and I'm trying to get a feel for how much extra time I need to build in for things like getting to fast passes on time, getting to dining reservations on time etc when someone in your party uses an ECV verses when everyone is on foot. Also any preferred brands/companies? Thanks so much for any input or advice! :-)

Speaking just in terms of the transition - since she struggled on the last trip, I would suspect that you may not have to worry about building in much extra time if you’re already used to going slow. The biggest difference I noticed when switching from being a non-user to a user is that it sped things up for our whole party. Everyone was no longer stuck at my slower pace. From the sounds of it, she’ll be able to park outside restaurants and walk to your table. That takes no extra time. Can she do the same thing for rides? If not, and if she takes the ECV through the queue, that can take longer on some rides. For example, on Toy Story Mania your party will be diverted to a separate loading area and that usually takes longer. So some of this depends on how much walking she’ll be able to do.

Tell her to please not be concerned about slowing down the rest of you. She’ll be much more comfortable and therefore happier. As a result so will all the rest of your group. Using an ECV was the best thing I ever did for my family.

Hi all,
We've been to WDW in 2013,2015,2017, so we're hoping to return next year in 2019. We're a party of 5 - myself, DH, DD, DS, and my mom. My mom is in her 60s and has rheumatoid arthritis, as well as back and knee problems. The past 3 trips she's gone without any kind of ECV and doesn't use one at home, but let's face it, WDW involves a lot more walking than usual, typically. Last trip, it was obvious she was struggling more so than in past years and she mentioned considering an ECV. She has concerns about "slowing down the group" and I'm trying to ease those worries for her so she can enjoy herself and not stress about how the ECV is affecting the group! Can anyone who has gone from doing WDW without an ECV to using one comment on the transition? What some of the differences are as far as getting around, getting on rides etc? Did you feel that things took a lot longer when using the ECV in the parks? I'm the planner for our trips and I'm trying to get a feel for how much extra time I need to build in for things like getting to fast passes on time, getting to dining reservations on time etc when someone in your party uses an ECV verses when everyone is on foot. Also any preferred brands/companies? Thanks so much for any input or advice! :-)

I think it was @mamabunny ( if it was not you I am sorry I quote you wrong) that said something like you are not slowing people down but helping because if you need an ECV or wheelchair and think you do not need one and then you have to sit out because you are too sore, too tired, and then your group will worry about you. also the ECV your group will not have to walk slower past but can walk at there past and you can keep up with them.

as far as the lines go using an ECV really does not make waits longer yes sometimes you might have to wait longer and sometimes you will get on fister

as fair as planing with someone ina ECV I would think your mom would move a lot faster with an ECV then without one but I would never plane a Disney vacation minute by minutes too many things can go wrong but like I said some rides will take longer some not it really depends on how many ECV wheelchair are in front of you ( they can only have so many on a ride at a time due to if the ride breaks down.

if she has never used an ECV have her go to her local big box store ( Walmart Target) and use one there these are much bigger then the park ones and even bigger than the off-site ones. and then if you get one off-site ( I would) take sometime to ride about the hotel and pratic with it some ( I have been told each ECV is a little different) see how it turns and and such if you do the bus practice going up a ramp making a 90 degree turn and parallel parking ( the driver will help you verbal like come to this point go back turn your wheel ok stop come forward and aim at this, ok you get the picture and some will help more. it really is not that big of a deal.

Speaking just in terms of the transition - since she struggled on the last trip, I would suspect that you may not have to worry about building in much extra time if you’re already used to going slow. The biggest difference I noticed when switching from being a non-user to a user is that it sped things up for our whole party. Everyone was no longer stuck at my slower pace. From the sounds of it, she’ll be able to park outside restaurants and walk to your table. That takes no extra time. Can she do the same thing for rides? If not, and if she takes the ECV through the queue, that can take longer on some rides. For example, on Toy Story Mania your party will be diverted to a separate loading area and that usually takes longer. So some of this depends on how much walking she’ll be able to do.

Tell her to please not be concerned about slowing down the rest of you. She’ll be much more comfortable and therefore happier. As a result so will all the rest of your group. Using an ECV was the best thing I ever did for my family.

Hi, thanks so much for your response! Yes, you're correct, she'd have no problem walking into a restaurant, etc, it's really just the attempting to speed walk through the parks for miles a day that gets her. The rides, I think it will depend -- if it were like an hour wait, I think she'd want it, but we don't really do lines that are that long. We just get there for rope drop and have our FPs. But I think she could tolerate a half hour line wait much better if she's been riding around in the ECV for the majority of the day. I wonder if there's a resource somewhere, like a list of which rides you can ride the ECV in the regular line and which ones not.

Thanks so much for your response, I think it'll be especially helpful for her to hear from someone who has been there and transitioned to doing Disney with an ECV, so thank you!!!!

I think it was @mamabunny ( if it was not you I am sorry I quote you wrong) that said something like you are not slowing people down but helping because if you need an ECV or wheelchair and think you do not need one and then you have to sit out because you are too sore, too tired, and then your group will worry about you. also the ECV your group will not have to walk slower past but can walk at there past and you can keep up with them.

as far as the lines go using an ECV really does not make waits longer yes sometimes you might have to wait longer and sometimes you will get on fister

as fair as planing with someone ina ECV I would think your mom would move a lot faster with an ECV then without one but I would never plane a Disney vacation minute by minutes too many things can go wrong but like I said some rides will take longer some not it really depends on how many ECV wheelchair are in front of you ( they can only have so many on a ride at a time due to if the ride breaks down.

if she has never used an ECV have her go to her local big box store ( Walmart Target) and use one there these are much bigger then the park ones and even bigger than the off-site ones. and then if you get one off-site ( I would) take sometime to ride about the hotel and pratic with it some ( I have been told each ECV is a little different) see how it turns and and such if you do the bus practice going up a ramp making a 90 degree turn and parallel parking ( the driver will help you verbal like come to this point go back turn your wheel ok stop come forward and aim at this, ok you get the picture and some will help more. it really is not that big of a deal.

Thanks so much for your response! That is great advice to try out the ones at local stores. And you are so right, I find myself worrying about her a lot on the trip bc I know she pushes herself, and then needs to rest at tge hotel bc she's in pain.

Since we can really only afford to go every couple of years, we like to get to the parks at RD, have our FPs scheduled, and try to squeeze in as much fun as we can. So I think it'll be much healthier, and much more comfortable for my mom with the ECV. Thanks again!

I was just like your mom in June. I'm in my 60s with RA. I practiced at Wmart and Target and actually found it was fun! At Disney World, sometimes I would take it through a long queue and sometimes I would park and walk. The bus drivers were so helpful, especially when I told them it was my first trip using an ECV. It was especially great when heading to the bus stop at the end of a long day!

ETA: If your mom's arthritis affects her hands, I really recommend an ECV in which you pull a lever towards the handle, instead of pushing one with your thumb. The thumb ones really hurt after just a bit. I rented from Buena Vista and it was great! You can find pictures online to see what kind of accelerators they use.

I was just like your mom in June. I'm in my 60s with RA. I practiced at Wmart and Target and actually found it was fun! At Disney World, sometimes I would take it through a long queue and sometimes I would park and walk. The bus drivers were so helpful, especially when I told them it was my first trip using an ECV. It was especially great when heading to the bus stop at the end of a long day!

ETA: If your mom's arthritis affects her hands, I really recommend an ECV in which you pull a lever towards the handle, instead of pushing one with your thumb. The thumb ones really hurt after just a bit. I rented from Buena Vista and it was great! You can find pictures online to see what kind of accelerators they use.

Thank you so much for your advice! That's so great to hear. I think she might initially be nervous about driving one, so practicing before is a great tip. I worry a little bit about her receiving directions while getting on the bus because she is hard of hearing and I worry about her not hearing them. Will they let me walk on with her to "translate"? (Sometimes it's helpfulh if I repeat what was said very clearly for her.) She lipreads verywell, but if they aren't facing her, she'll have trouble hearing because the hearing aids will likely pick up the bus engine background noise.

I very much so appreciate the tip about the hand break! Her hands are indeed affected by her RA. she's had RA for roughly 40 years so her hands cause her a lot of pain at times. Thank you so much for your kind advice!!

Sometimes you are slower on an ECV because you get behind people and cannot weave around them like you can on foot, depending on how crowded it is. It shouldn't slow you down too much. Communication was sometimes difficult while riding. It seemed like when I wanted to say something to a family member, they were either way ahead of me or behind me and couldn't hear me, as other people would get between us. That was frustrating for me.

Sometimes you are slower on an ECV because you get behind people and cannot weave around them like you can on foot, depending on how crowded it is. It shouldn't slow you down too much. Communication was sometimes difficult while riding. It seemed like when I wanted to say something to a family member, they were either way ahead of me or behind me and couldn't hear me, as other people would get between us. That was frustrating for me.
I feel like we always go at busier times of year because of our schedules, so I can definitely see what you mean in terms of trying to weave through the crowd.

The first year I used a ECV, I was amazed at how great I felt at the end of the evening. My family was dragging and I was ready to keep going. I know the year before I felt awful by lunch, but not that year!

The one bad thing is you have to pay such close attention to everyone around you, you can’t enjoy the sights.

Hi all,

:::waving hi to your Mom::: Tell Mom not to worry - she won't slow *you* down... you all will, however, probably have to work a bit harder to keep up with her!!!

And don't be surprised if she is ready to keep going when everyone else is ready to sit down and take a break! :)

Don't worry about the impact on planning - other than the additional time to load/unload from buses, monorails, boats, etc. she will be traveling at the same "walking speed" that you crazy bi-pedals are.

Recently, many of our folks here have had excellent service from Golds. (Look for a thread here about them; there are some recent trip reports in there)

Here's some more "beginner" advice we have collected over the years here - hope it helps your Mom! :)

If you can, practicing your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze! Having said that, do set aside the time when you first get your rental to practice at the Resort (or somewhere outside the Parks) to familiarize yourself with how it stops, turns, etc. I recommend Disney Springs or a Disney Resort, simply because you can "practice" going through shops, food service venues, there are ramps and curb cuts to practice, along with ample open space to get used to backing up (a skill that is important, and often overlooked). And last but not least - there are buses. (more about those later) :)

One of the first things you will notice about your rental is that it will (typically) have a "turtle" and a "rabbit" on the speed dial. "Turtle" speed is slowest and "Rabbit" speed is fastest - but some scooters do have a bit of "turtle" or "rabbit" beyond the indicated range, so experiment with speed control as well. Remember that Disney World does have a "speed limit" for personal mobility devices that is loosely defined as "walking speed". Obviously, some folks walk faster or slower than others, so the general rule of thumb is that you try to go about the speed that everyone around you is going, and when in doubt, slow down. :)

Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. One device, one rider. Period. (Our daughter says "One seat, one butt LOL) Do not carry infants or children on your lap, or let adults ride (either by standing on the "running board" or sitting on the armrest, etc.) The danger to yourself and others is very real.

Bring a brightly colored scarf, length of grosgrain ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit). Some folks really decorate their rentals! :)

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed at the front desk of your Disney Resort Hotel. You are not allowed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you when you park it.

You can most certainly "park and walk" - many folks here do just that. They will find a central location to park in (again, any Cast Member can point you to a good, safe spot to park in) and then you can move it to the next area when you are ready.

Don't be surprised if you park the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when you return. The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. You will typically find it quite nearby, but if you don't, just ask any CM you see, and they will help you find it.

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that you WILL at some point find yourself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest selfie to Instagram. Children, who do not yet fully grasp all of the nuances of physics, are especially prone to running out in front of an ECV; they don't realize that most ECVs can't just stop instantly. I try to build a "bubble" in front of me (if I can) by leaving a space, and adjusting my rate of travel, so that I can more easily spot those folks who look like they might pop right out in front of me.

It's true: probably the hardest thing you will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses, boats & monorails. Just FYI - IT'S NOT THAT HARD! Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. (The exception to this is at the Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds, where there are not any white painted rectangles at the internal Resort stops for all of the Loops.)

Just to ease your mind, the drivers (and captains and Monorail CMs) will all do their best to help you, and coach you with loading/unloading. They are all patient, and quite used to "newbies" - so just let them know it's your first time driving an ECV, and they will help you as best they can :)

When the ramp comes down, try to be pointed straight at the base of the ramp, and go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. Also good to know: the bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* your ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and there, the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the portable ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations. The loading/unloading procedure is actually fairly similar everywhere - you will almost always load first, and exit last.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time going up steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

ECVs run on electrically recharged batteries. So, to finish this whole thing up, let's talk for a minute about how to get the most battery life out of your rental while at WDW.

Your rental *should* be delivered with a fully-charged battery. The only time I would allow an exception for this is if it was a late-evening rental, and you weren't planning on going anywhere but to your room, and to sleep!

#1 is to make sure that the battery(s) is/are charged fully prior to leaving for the Parks every morning. Start the day with a fully charged battery, and you should be fine.

Anytime you are stopped for more than - let's just say 10 seconds (no, I'm not exaggerating) - turn off your scooter. Especially when waiting in lines, watching a show or parade, if you are stopped in a store to look at something, or if you are going on a ride, eating a meal, talking to a CM, looking at a map... turn it off! :) This is especially true for when you are riding buses, boats, or the monorail. Essentially, if you would be standing still if you were walking... turn it off. There's no negative effect to the battery for turning it on and off, and if you are Rope Drop to Kiss Goodnight, you will want to monitor your battery usage aggressively.

Don't use the headlight in the daytime. It won't give that much additional visibility, and it will drain the battery faster. Some folks don't even use the headlight at night. On my personal ECV, I have a bicycle lighting system that is self-contained and rechargeable so it doesn't pull from my ECV battery. The only time I tend to use the headlights/taillights is at night, between the Park entrance and the buses, just for an extra bit of visibility.

If you have any other questions, just ask, and we will be glad to help you with the answers! :)

The first year I used a ECV, I was amazed at how great I felt at the end of the evening. My family was dragging and I was ready to keep going. I know the year before I felt awful by lunch, but not that year!

The one bad thing is you have to pay such close attention to everyone around you, you can’t enjoy the sights.
I'm so glad to hear it made it so you were more comfortable on your trip!

:::waving hi to your Mom::: Tell Mom not to worry - she won't slow *you* down... you all will, however, probably have to work a bit harder to keep up with her!!!

And don't be surprised if she is ready to keep going when everyone else is ready to sit down and take a break! :)

Don't worry about the impact on planning - other than the additional time to load/unload from buses, monorails, boats, etc. she will be traveling at the same "walking speed" that you crazy bi-pedals are.

Recently, many of our folks here have had excellent service from Golds. (Look for a thread here about them; there are some recent trip reports in there)

Here's some more "beginner" advice we have collected over the years here - hope it helps your Mom! :)

If you can, practicing your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze! Having said that, do set aside the time when you first get your rental to practice at the Resort (or somewhere outside the Parks) to familiarize yourself with how it stops, turns, etc. I recommend Disney Springs or a Disney Resort, simply because you can "practice" going through shops, food service venues, there are ramps and curb cuts to practice, along with ample open space to get used to backing up (a skill that is important, and often overlooked). And last but not least - there are buses. (more about those later) :)

One of the first things you will notice about your rental is that it will (typically) have a "turtle" and a "rabbit" on the speed dial. "Turtle" speed is slowest and "Rabbit" speed is fastest - but some scooters do have a bit of "turtle" or "rabbit" beyond the indicated range, so experiment with speed control as well. Remember that Disney World does have a "speed limit" for personal mobility devices that is loosely defined as "walking speed". Obviously, some folks walk faster or slower than others, so the general rule of thumb is that you try to go about the speed that everyone around you is going, and when in doubt, slow down. :)

Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. One device, one rider. Period. (Our daughter says "One seat, one butt LOL) Do not carry infants or children on your lap, or let adults ride (either by standing on the "running board" or sitting on the armrest, etc.) The danger to yourself and others is very real.

Bring a brightly colored scarf, length of grosgrain ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit). Some folks really decorate their rentals! :)

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed at the front desk of your Disney Resort Hotel. You are not allowed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you when you park it.

You can most certainly "park and walk" - many folks here do just that. They will find a central location to park in (again, any Cast Member can point you to a good, safe spot to park in) and then you can move it to the next area when you are ready.

Don't be surprised if you park the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when you return. The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. You will typically find it quite nearby, but if you don't, just ask any CM you see, and they will help you find it.

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that you WILL at some point find yourself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest selfie to Instagram. Children, who do not yet fully grasp all of the nuances of physics, are especially prone to running out in front of an ECV; they don't realize that most ECVs can't just stop instantly. I try to build a "bubble" in front of me (if I can) by leaving a space, and adjusting my rate of travel, so that I can more easily spot those folks who look like they might pop right out in front of me.

It's true: probably the hardest thing you will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses, boats & monorails. Just FYI - IT'S NOT THAT HARD! Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. (The exception to this is at the Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds, where there are not any white painted rectangles at the internal Resort stops for all of the Loops.)

Just to ease your mind, the drivers (and captains and Monorail CMs) will all do their best to help you, and coach you with loading/unloading. They are all patient, and quite used to "newbies" - so just let them know it's your first time driving an ECV, and they will help you as best they can :)

When the ramp comes down, try to be pointed straight at the base of the ramp, and go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. You will always board first, and exit last. Your family can walk up the ramp and board behind you. Also good to know: the bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* your ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

You can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and there, the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the portable ramp they will use for you at the Monorail stations. The loading/unloading procedure is actually fairly similar everywhere - you will almost always load first, and exit last.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time going up steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at a 90 degree angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

ECVs run on electrically recharged batteries. So, to finish this whole thing up, let's talk for a minute about how to get the most battery life out of your rental while at WDW.

Your rental *should* be delivered with a fully-charged battery. The only time I would allow an exception for this is if it was a late-evening rental, and you weren't planning on going anywhere but to your room, and to sleep!

#1 is to make sure that the battery(s) is/are charged fully prior to leaving for the Parks every morning. Start the day with a fully charged battery, and you should be fine.

Anytime you are stopped for more than - let's just say 10 seconds (no, I'm not exaggerating) - turn off your scooter. Especially when waiting in lines, watching a show or parade, if you are stopped in a store to look at something, or if you are going on a ride, eating a meal, talking to a CM, looking at a map... turn it off! :) This is especially true for when you are riding buses, boats, or the monorail. Essentially, if you would be standing still if you were walking... turn it off. There's no negative effect to the battery for turning it on and off, and if you are Rope Drop to Kiss Goodnight, you will want to monitor your battery usage aggressively.

Don't use the headlight in the daytime. It won't give that much additional visibility, and it will drain the battery faster. Some folks don't even use the headlight at night. On my personal ECV, I have a bicycle lighting system that is self-contained and rechargeable so it doesn't pull from my ECV battery. The only time I tend to use the headlights/taillights is at night, between the Park entrance and the buses, just for an extra bit of visibility.

If you have any other questions, just ask, and we will be glad to help you with the answers! :)
Wow @mamabunny thank you so much!!!! I appreciate all the info. I think it'll take a little getting used to for her but that she'll be glad she has it so she can enjoy the trip more and not be in pain from pushing herself too much. Thank you!

She has concerns about "slowing down the group" and I'm trying to ease those worries for her so she can enjoy herself and not stress about how the ECV is affecting the group!

I had to laugh at this comment and think of DH. Now that I finally admitted I needed and started using an ECV, he has trouble keeping up with ME. After we've been at the theme park for several hours, DH is ready to go back to our villa and rest, but I want to keep going.
The tip about using an ECV with a pull lever instead of a thumb one. That's why I can't rent from Walker any more-my thumbs just got too sore. Buena Vista was great on my hands, and next time I'll be trying Gold Mobility. I hope they have the same mechanism as Buena Vista.

I had to laugh at this comment and think of DH. Now that I finally admitted I needed and started using an ECV, he has trouble keeping up with ME. After we've been at the theme park for several hours, DH is ready to go back to our villa and rest, but I want to keep going.
The tip about using an ECV with a pull lever instead of a thumb one. That's why I can't rent from Walker any more-my thumbs just got too sore. Buena Vista was great on my hands, and next time I'll be trying Gold Mobility. I hope they have the same mechanism as Buena Vista.
Thanks so much!! I'm definitely going to make sure she gets one that has the finger pull lever instead of thumb push. So great to hear how much the ECV use has improved the trip for you and made it so you feel well enough to keep on going! It's encouraging to hear this, because I think my mom will really enjoy the trip so much more with the ECV! Thanks! :)

We have found ourselves accomplishing more with a scooter. First, you don't get as tired; so, you can last a longer day at the park. Second, you have more energy to get in and out of the rides; because, you haven't been walking to get there.

For practice, you may want to consider a day at your local zoo which will rent scooters there. Most zoos have scooter rentals. This is more life like than the store scooters. She will get use to moving around a park that way and understand about people darting out at you last minute. A zoo will still be tame by comparison.

It may be helpful if someone else got the scooter in and out of the resort room. You can have her practice her scooter at the resort before heading out to a park.

It may be a good idea to surround her while she's on a scooter riding through the park. This creates a barrier to a certain degree against the people who dart out in front of you. This just depends on how bad the crowds are on a particular day. This is not necessary for ride queues.

We like to alternate shows and parades and eating with rides. Shows and such will provide a rest period. It can be taxing using a scooter to begin with at Disney. You have to really pay attention.

Getting scooters on and off the buses are the worse. It will be less stressful for her if one of you do it instead. Hopefully, she can manage getting in and out on the bus on her own accord.

Soarin' is a challenge to get to. You need to use an elevator to get on the same level as the ride. Again, it would be great if someone else took over the scooter to get the scooter in and out of the elevator. There are a few rides like Buzz Lightyear where you transfer from scooter to a wheelchair.

Be wary of the rides that have walking conveyors. Some can be slowed down and some can be stopped. Spaceship Earth has a handicap entrance. Scooters and wheelchairs are parked and you go in a special way.

Not sure how bad your mom is getting in and out of rides, but we find Test Track and Pirates of Carribean somewhat hard. It may be good to have someone behind her and someone in front of her to give her a helping hand in and out of such rides.

We believe by far that using a scooter has been more of a help. Infact without it we wouldn't be doing Disney.

We have found ourselves accomplishing more with a scooter. First, you don't get as tired; so, you can last a longer day at the park. Second, you have more energy to get in and out of the rides; because, you haven't been walking to get there.

For practice, you may want to consider a day at your local zoo which will rent scooters there. Most zoos have scooter rentals. This is more life like than the store scooters. She will get use to moving around a park that way and understand about people darting out at you last minute. A zoo will still be tame by comparison.

It may be helpful if someone else got the scooter in and out of the resort room. You can have her practice her scooter at the resort before heading out to a park.

It may be a good idea to surround her while she's on a scooter riding through the park. This creates a barrier to a certain degree against the people who dart out in front of you. This just depends on how bad the crowds are on a particular day. This is not necessary for ride queues.

We like to alternate shows and parades and eating with rides. Shows and such will provide a rest period. It can be taxing using a scooter to begin with at Disney. You have to really pay attention.

Getting scooters on and off the buses are the worse. It will be less stressful for her if one of you do it instead. Hopefully, she can manage getting in and out on the bus on her own accord.

Soarin' is a challenge to get to. You need to use an elevator to get on the same level as the ride. Again, it would be great if someone else took over the scooter to get the scooter in and out of the elevator. There are a few rides like Buzz Lightyear where you transfer from scooter to a wheelchair.

Be wary of the rides that have walking conveyors. Some can be slowed down and some can be stopped. Spaceship Earth has a handicap entrance. Scooters and wheelchairs are parked and you go in a special way.

Not sure how bad your mom is getting in and out of rides, but we find Test Track and Pirates of Carribean somewhat hard. It may be good to have someone behind her and someone in front of her to give her a helping hand in and out of such rides.

We believe by far that using a scooter has been more of a help. Infact without it we wouldn't be doing Disney.

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing all this info! And sorry for my very late reply. As far as those walking conveyor belts, I think of maybe Nemo, Ariel, happene Mansion etc, those are tough for her to walk on and get into the seat while the belt is moving.. do we have any options here? Like some can be slowed down? Thanks so much!

Nemo and Ariel are both easy to have the Cast Member slow the belt. Haunted Mansion's belt can also be stopped but sometimes it can be more difficult to get the attention of the Cast Member doing the boarding.

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing all this info! And sorry for my very late reply. As far as those walking conveyor belts, I think of maybe Nemo, Ariel, happene Mansion etc, those are tough for her to walk on and get into the seat while the belt is moving.. do we have any options here? Like some can be slowed down? Thanks so much!
2 attractions cannot be slowed or stopped--Peter Pan's Flight, and TTA-peoplemover. For Peter Pan, you may be able to be the last riders of the day and they can cycle everyone off and then ride you and your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter