Looking to give Cast Members gifts

tiffanynikiel

Earning My Ears
Hi All! A friend of mine & I are looking to give gifts away to cast members. We are making the items and before we spend a ton of money on the supplies & time making things I want to make sure that cast members are not only allowed to take gifts. We are looking at making some Mickey head shaped popsockets & maybe put a decal on a reusable cup. would this be ok or no? TIA

Welcome to the Dis! Your thoughts are very kind but this is not a time for CMs to accept physical gifts from guests, regardless of Disney's policies. The best thing you can do for a CM is fill out a comment card describing your experiences. They have them at Guest Relations inside City Hall on Main St. USA.

Welcome to the Dis! Your thoughts are very kind but this is not a time for CMs to accept physical gifts from guests, regardless of Disney's policies. The best thing you can do for a CM is fill out a comment card describing your experiences. They have them at Guest Relations inside City Hall on Main St. USA.
We are going after covid as we have family vacations that were pushed back due to the pandemic. We are looking to do this in a year or possibly later than that.

I second Micca's suggestion, leave them a compliment at Guest Services, that helps their career as Disney uses these in their evaluations. They are probably more grateful for the comment than for a gift.

The positive feedback is extremely valuable to CMs and the best way to show they are appreciated. Please take the time to fill out comments in person or online. Make a note in your phone with names, times, and places so you can remember later.

If you really want to do some Disney crafting, why not make some things that you will use while there and carry some extras? If someone says they like your popsocket, you can give them one and make their day :)

Please remember that Cast Members are working and they have no where to put anything you give them. If you do a search here you will find that it is suggested that you not give them items. They would definitely prefer to have you leave a compliment for them that will remain on their permanent record.

I am going to move this to the Disney Tips Board.

Just seconding what every one else has said. Complimenting CMs at guest services or via email or Cast Compliment on Twitter is the best gift you can give. I manage a frontline staff and even before COVID they would try to refuse any gifts offered and would usually throw away anything given to them by visitors as most were uncomfortable with accepting gifts from strangers. I imagine in a post COVID world that feeling will be even more widespread.

The best thing you can do for a CM is fill out a comment card describing your experiences. They have them at Guest Relations inside City Hall on Main St. USA.
Tried this over a YEAR ago and the CM never heard Jack Squat from anyone.

Tried this over a YEAR ago and the CM never heard Jack Squat from anyone.
I suppose something could slip through the cracks, but I know a CM who has said he hears about comments about him. He did say there is a delay of several weeks from when the comment was made to being notified that he had received positive feedback.

I suppose something could slip through the cracks, but I know a CM who has said he hears about comments about him. He did say there is a delay of several weeks from when the comment was made to being notified that he had received positive feedback.
Several weeks??? How many weeks in over a year and still waiting???

Last edited:
I have given compliments to multiple cast members and not only did they not get anything but they did not move forward in the company. Like I stated this is a random act of kindness....I would be giving this to a cast member that may just be standing their saying "Hi" to myself and my group.

If a cast member goes above & beyond of course I would write out a compliment for them. But this is going to not only be after Covid but a random act of kindness! at this point kinda sorry I even asked my question as it is just being torn down!

If a cast member goes above & beyond of course I would write out a compliment for them. But this is going to not only be after Covid but a random act of kindness! at this point kinda sorry I even asked my question as it is just being torn down!

OP, it is up to you to decide if you want to make something to give away. I have no clue what they can and cannot accept, but my only suggestion is to make the item as small and as flat as possible. This way, it might be able to be secreted away easily into a pocket of their uniform without being bulky.

A pop socket might be something manageable, but a reusable cup would be hard for them to hold onto while doing their jobs. Not all CMs have a close place where they are allowed to place their items while actually working.

While it's a very nice gesture, I agree with others that you might find many castmembers hesitant to take gifts from parkgoers. Even a year or two from now I think many people are going to have covid in their minds....even if we have made huge strides.

If you decide to give the gifts, I would phrase the offer in a way where the castmember can easily refuse the gift without there being awkwardness. Maybe something along the lines of "I don't know if you are allowed to accept gifts but if so here is yada yada yada. If not, I understand it's against the rules". That way someone who isn't opposed can accept and someone who has reservations has an out without feeling like they are offending you. I'm sure you don't want someone to accept the gift if it makes them uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Please don’t give a CM a physical gift. They mighty accept and thank but they honestly don’t want homemade items from strangers. Posting a CM comment on Twitter- have seen positive feedback the times we have done by pictures saying thanks!

It is a nice thought but simple thing is please don’t. You don’t know when COVID-19 is going to be over. Sadly it would probably end up in garbage.

Please don’t give a CM a physical gift. They mighty accept and thank but they honestly don’t want homemade items from strangers. Posting a CM comment on Twitter- have seen positive feedback the times we have done by pictures saying thanks!

It is a nice thought but simple thing is please don’t. You don’t know when COVID-19 is going to be over. Sadly it would probably end up in garbage.

Totally agree!
Most of that stuff ends up in the trash.

I have given compliments to multiple cast members and not only did they not get anything but they did not move forward in the company. Like I stated this is a random act of kindness....I would be giving this to a cast member that may just be standing their saying "Hi" to myself and my group.

How do you know CM never heard anything? Assume it was a friend if yours? They aren’t going to move forward at Disney just based on compliments- yes it looks good in employee record but how they do their job and other things factor heavily on promotions.

There are always threads like these with well meaning people asking about giving gifts to CM or even fellow guests. Linked two below.

You asked the question and don’t like the answers you are getting. People are being honest and trying to help you so you don’t feel awkward when CM says no or refuses.

Giving used clothes out at Disney as pixie dust

https://www.disboards.com/threads/enriching-our-vacation-through-spreading-pixie-dust-ideas.3459513/
Another I want to pixie dust people thread (Scary doll)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/pixie-dusting-adults.3277421/
A smile and thank you is free and best pixie dust thing that will make you feel just as good as handing out expensive homemade gifts.

Last edited:
We are going after covid as we have family vacations that were pushed back due to the pandemic. We are looking to do this in a year or possibly later than that.

Covid is going to have a long-term impact on the parks operations. They will try to limit unnecessary CM and guest common contact touch points as much as possible, likely long term. Not too much will change on that front a year from now.

I would not spend any money on this or put any time into doing this. I am a former CM. There is nowhere to put things (you can’t just leave your post to go backstage to drop it off) and not all costumes have pockets. It just really sometimes is not helpful to be keeping track of another thing while on the clock. Many guests do this and lots of those trinkets end up getting lost, tossed, or forgotten in a pocket after a long day and put through the laundry.

As a former CM, a smile and sincere thank you really means a lot. That can totally change a tough day. Cast compliments are great too.

You seem to be offended that people are answering the question this way, but you asked if they are allowed to accept gifts and if that would be ok. Yes, they used to be able to and no, they are not allowed to right now (and that policy probably won’t change back anytime in the near future - probably never again.)

And really, most CMs would just prefer a cast compliment or a sincere thank you and a smile. That is what is most appreciated.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!