Los Angeles Family Friendly Hotels?

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
We are planning to go to a football game at the Rose Bowl stadium next Labor Day (September 2021), and we were looking to stay somewhere in Hollywood since we will have our 9 year old with us. Any suggestions for hotels near Hollywood Blvd.? Or is that not a family area to stay in anyway? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've lived in Los Angeles for nearly 9 years, but the first time I ever visited the city was for the Rose Bowl in 2011. My sister and I were totally clueless about where to stay, and the best advice we got from a coworker of my Dad's was "not Hollywood." I have to say, I would still concur with this advice.

Is there a specific reason you'd want to stay in Hollywood? The touristy stuff there can be seen pretty quickly, and it's not a neighborhood I would want to hang around for an extended trip. In this city, you have to drive everywhere, and traffic is a bear. If you want to avoid that, stay in Pasadena. There's plenty of shopping and eating to do in Old Town, and plenty of hotels to choose from. If you don't mind driving, one of the beach communities could be fun but pricey.

Thanks so much for your advice! I was just going to stay in Hollywood because I figured that it was in the middle of the hustle bustle like staying in midtown Manhattan, but if there is a lot to do in Pasadena that sounds like a good idea. I was worried that the area would just be only the stadium!

Where would you suggest staying? Any particular hotels?

Pasadena has some nice areas. Like a PP said, Old Town has hotels, shops, and dining. Plus you would be close to the Rose Bowl. If you decide to venture over to Hollywood, I would look into renting a car specifically for that day. Hollywood is cool and all, but once you are done with the tourist stuff, it isn't all that great (at least in my opinion, lol). But it is worth seeing if you haven't been, I just don't think it's worth staying an entire trip in that area.

Thanks so much for your advice! I was just going to stay in Hollywood because I figured that it was in the middle of the hustle bustle like staying in midtown Manhattan, but if there is a lot to do in Pasadena that sounds like a good idea. I was worried that the area would just be only the stadium!

That was our reasoning too; we ended up staying in Westwood near UCLA and although it was quiet (being winter break), it was easy enough to get to Santa Monica, Los Feliz, and Pasadena.

Are you flying in, or driving? If flying, which airport? Doing anything else besides the game? I've attended multiple games and concerts at the Rose Bowl over the years, and after getting stuck in their parking for hours trying to leave, I always tend to park somewhere in Old Town and walk in and out (there are public shuttles, but I still find walking quicker for us)...I'm not sure if any of the Pasadena hotels have their own event shuttles, but that would be kind of ideal. Just did a quick Priceline search and there is a Residence Inn on Walnut that has a pool and free breakfast.

That was our reasoning too; we ended up staying in Westwood near UCLA and although it was quiet (being winter break), it was easy enough to get to Santa Monica, Los Feliz, and Pasadena.

Are you flying in, or driving? If flying, which airport? Doing anything else besides the game? I've attended multiple games and concerts at the Rose Bowl over the years, and after getting stuck in their parking for hours trying to leave, I always tend to park somewhere in Old Town and walk in and out (there are public shuttles, but I still find walking quicker for us)...I'm not sure if any of the Pasadena hotels have their own event shuttles, but that would be kind of ideal. Just did a quick Priceline search and there is a Residence Inn on Walnut that has a pool and free breakfast.

We are flying from New Orleans into LAX. We are going to get there on Friday and stay through Monday, so other than the game, we will want to do some touristy attractions for sure. We are going to DLR for a big trip next November, so we were going to hit some LA hotspots.

We stayed at the Marriott in Santa Monica last summer. Right near the beach, shopping and directly opposite the train station.
We drove to Hollywood very easily, but only stayed for a couple of hours, it didn't hold our interest the way I had expected so we went back to the hotel and spent the afternoon wandering Venice Beach instead

We stayed at the Marriott in Santa Monica last summer. Right near the beach, shopping and directly opposite the train station.
We drove to Hollywood very easily, but only stayed for a couple of hours, it didn't hold our interest the way I had expected so we went back to the hotel and spent the afternoon wandering Venice Beach instead

Is Santa Monica near Pasadena?

Beverly Hills is closer to Santa Monica. You can take surface streets to Hollywood and also Farmers’ Market and The Grove shopping area.

Beverly Hills is also close to Century City, but that's the opposite direction of Hollywood, and heads towards Santa Monica.

We stayed in Glendale every time we went to CHLA, it's close to Hollywood but more affordable. If you want to go that route, try the Hyatt Place Glendale. Its a block from the mall. The staff there is amazing, always so friendly and go out of their way to be helpful.

There is a Courtyard and a Residence Inn very near Old Town Pasadena. Also a Westin. We've had meetings at the Courtyard and the Westin -- very nice to be able to walk to Old Town for shopping and restaurants -- and movies, too! There is also a Gold Line Metro station just across from the back of the Courtyard -- that line takes you into Downtown L.A. -- the Arts District stop is right by Little Tokyo and the Arts District where there is great food, shopping, museums, etc.

Pasadena is gorgeous and much safer than Hollywood. Tons of walking streets with shops, beautiful houses, museums, and beautiful parks. The restaurants are ample and amazing. While there you could tour the Huntington Library and Gardens.

Pasadena is gorgeous and much safer than Hollywood. Tons of walking streets with shops, beautiful houses, museums, and beautiful parks. The restaurants are ample and amazing. While there you could tour the Huntington Library and Gardens.

You suggest staying there even if we plan on doing most of the touristy stuff in LA except for the football game?

I can be in downtown LA by taking the Glendale Freeway or the 134 in 20 minutes. Very close to Universal Studios, downtown,etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!