Losts of questions....

firen'ice

I am Canadian, eh!
My Mom and I want to go (I'm 25+) in late August or 1st week in September....

What's the weather like then? really hot???

How many days do we need to "do the parks" I say 2 days for every park at WDW, three days for EPCOT, is it about the same? or is it more like three days for both parks

Am I going to be royaly disapointed after being at WDW so many times?

Any thoughts on hotels? I prefer onsite.

What about passes?

Any onther tips?

You will be royally disappointed if you don't research it well. Be aware that Disneyland Resort is in the middle of a suburban area surrounded by businesses and homes. It is not like entering WDW property where everything is green with curving roadways and landscaped medians. It is much nicer on the streets immeadiatly around DL but with in a couple blocks you could be in anytown USA.
For a First timer you will need at least 3 full days. 2 at Disneyland and 1 at DCA. Four full days would be nice so you can park hop and have time at Downtown Disney. 5 Days would be wonderful as then you could enjoy your Disney Hotel. More is great if you can do it. :)
There are only 3 Disney hotels here. The Paradise Pier Hotel is a High rise that Disney Purchased from Someone else and spiffed up. It is an decent place with an awesome view of DCA on one side.
The Disneyland hotel is three high rises towers that are not the most wonderful looking but the rooms are large ( similar or larger than the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Contemporary) and are decorated similar to the Grand Floridian but a bit more casual and with lots of Disney Refrences. The acerage is large here with lots of gardens, three pools (one with a Neverland theme) and a nice assortment of restaurants.
The Grand Californian is the most expensive and most like the newr resorts at WDW.. It was designed by the architect who did the WL and AKL and it is beautiful. It is located against DCA (they say inside but its just next to it) and has its' own private entrance. We could get intot he park from out room in one minute. The rooms are smaller than the other two hotels though but are decorated nicely.
You can get park hopper tickets here just like in WDW.
The weather can be beautiful (mid 70's-80's) and sometimes hot ( and dry, not like in Florida).
Disneyland resort is fun but it is way different than a trip to WDW. I love comparing the attractions and how they differe. I love trying all the restaurants on both coasts. Both areas have pros and cons and you can relish them all.

That is a tough one as well as tastes vary so much....
The Blue Bayou in Disneyland is the best for atmosphere. The food is decent though not spectacular. This is where you can get the infamous Monty Christo Sandwich.
Other places with decent food and good atmosphere in Disneyland are. The Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe Redd Rockets Pizza Port (Pasta is good and atmosphere is okay, Pizza is dissapointing.)
At DCA I love the food at Avalon Cove ( Charachter meals )
The Soap Opera Bistro has a somewhat upscale menue that I don't care for but the dining is on sets from famous Soap Operas ( also not to my liking).
The Winery is very upscale for Dinner
At the at The Grand Californian Hotel the Napa Rose is very upscale ( I haven't tried it yet). The Storyteller Cafe ( Not a character meal even though it sounds like it should be) has good food and a nice atmosphere.
At Disneyland Hotel Goffy's kitchen has a good buffet with lots of Characters. Hook's Point was excellent with a nice feel to it.
I haven't tried any of the places at the Paradise Pier. PCH Grill has gotten great reviews until recently when reports are the quality has slipped.

Blue Bayou for atmosphere.
Storytellers for casual and relaxing dining any meal.

They are the resturaunts that get my repeat business.

Oh, and in terms of comparison...they are two totally separate experiences. WDW is expansive. DLR is an intimate resort - especially if you stay on site.

Just brace yourself for Sleeping Beauty's Castle. It is diminutive in comparison to Cinderellas.

Congratulations on your upcoming DL trip!

I completely agree with the above posts, particularly daannzzz first post. If you do your research and go there not expecting another WDW, you will probably enjoy your visit very much.

I just wanted to add that at DL, it is not as much of a "must" to stay onsite as it is at WDW. There are some very reasonably priced hotels in the immediate area (walking distance or short shuttle trip). However, if I could afford to, I would stay at the Grand Californian each trip!

Also, keep in mind that discounts are harder to come by at DL. People seem to be having luck on sites like Expedia and Travelocity.

As far as restaurants go, Disneyland only has two sit-down restaurants, and Blue Bayou has a spectacular atmosphere.

At GC, I also really liked Storyteller's Cafe. The corn chowder is to die for! We had a breakfast buffet and dinner off the menu (they have a dinner buffet too) and loved both meals.

We also had some really great meals in DD, Naples and Y Arriba Y Arriba were two of our favorites.

I think on the top of the page there are restaurant reviews from DISers.

Happy planning!

I have always gone to Disneyland about once a year--living in California--it's kind of a given!

We were able to go to Orlando for the first time last November. We really enjoyed being able to "compare" everything to DL. I like both places--they are just very different. I think daannzz did a great job in his posts going over that.

As far as hotels--we have stayed at Grand Californian--it's great! It was really nice being so close to the parks and Downtown Disney. We will be staying at Disneyland hotel in a few weeks for 2 nights. I'm looking forward to seeing which one we like best.

We have also stayed off-site:
Orange Hilton Suites--This was awhile ago--I think it used to be an Embassy Suites (looks just like one)--It was quite a distance from DL--the rooms were needing alittle refurbishment at that time--I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Anaheim Sheraton--we will be staying here again for one night (thanks to Sheraton points) on our upcoming trip. We stayed here about 7 years ago--I liked it--the rooms are huge (500 sq.ft.) I don't think it's exactly walking distance--but, they do have there own shuttle.

I would look into staying at one of the Disney properties if I were you. Others really like the Candy Cane Inn, Westcoast Anaheim, Best Westerns, and the Fairfield Inn.

As far as tickets (hoppers):
If you plan on starting your vacation on/or before Sept. 3rd--look into buying specially priced "adult hoppers at the child's price". You can purchase these thru the Disney Store, AAA, or online at www.Disney.com. You just need to use your first day on or before Sept. 3rd.
A 4 day hopper is $111--a 3 day hopper is $90--it's a great price!
Hope this helps!
Have a great trip!
Sue:)

Having never been to WDW I am always taken a back with the "Will I be disapointed" comments/questions. Why would you be disapointed, you'll be at Disney??

First off, don't set yourself up for disapointment by comparing the two becuase there is no comparison. Disneyland Resort, is as was stated in the middle of Anaheim, not in is own little "community" like WDW.

Second, do your homework. Buy a guidebook, research on here and other Disneyland site's.

If you have the time take it. You will need at least 3 days, if you can take more, even better. Minimum, you'll need 2 days at DL, 1 day at DCA. If you have more days you can "hop" between the parks. If you are going for more then 4 days get an AP (I believe they are only $4 more then an adult 4 day hopper).

If you can afford it, I would stay at Grand Californian, if you are on a budget and still want to stay on site, then Paradise Pier. The Disneyland hotel cost wise is in between. But with the numerous hotels boardering DLR there is no need to stay on site, other then wanting to. Many of the hotel on Harbor Blvd. are actually a shorter walk to DL then the DL hotel.

We went toward the end of August last year and it was HOT. Remember to take breaks and with everythign within walking distance it makes it so much easier to do so. And most of all HAVE FUN!

There's no way around it -- for the time frame you are looking at coming it'll be blazing hot (but still quite a few degrees cooler than if you were to continue east towards the desert area, where I live!!).

Plan for breaks during the heat of the day, either to return to your hotel for a swim or for a nice cool nap in your air conditioned room.

And plan on taking and drinking plenty of water while in the parks.

to coin an old phrase..."it's a dry heat"

90's here in Anaheim is WAY different than 90's in a humid part of the country like Florida. Florida smells like an aquarium because of all of the humidity. I've never been anywhere else where my camera lens fogs up when I leave room! Even in our hottest months (august-september) it ain't that bad. Just like ivanova says, bring a lot of water and stay in the shade!

Roy

I am also enough of a weenie that I carry a little $6 fan I bought at WDW (and can hang around my neck), along with extra batteries.

I may look like an idiot standing there in line with a fan blowing in my face, but y'know what? I'd look a lot more stupid laying face down passed out on the pavement....

:D

I have been to both and in regards to hotels, I find that wdw has nicer hotels which I seem able to get better deals on. Especially when it comes to the suites (with kitchen and microwave). You just can't beat the Indiana Jones ride

One place I love to eat when I go down is the character lunch/dinner in DCA at Avalon Cove. The food is great, lots of characters, and I love dining on the outdoor pier. One note on the characters, they have Ariel there, also Chip & Dale, Pluto, Goofy and Minnie Mouse. The onion soup was to die for as well as the Lobster Cobster Salad. Have a Disney Day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!