lots of disability issues

Belle72

Mouseketeer
My sister would love to go to WDW. She is 30 but has been in a wheelchair since age 14. Her health has been getting worse lately and it has been her dream to go to Disney. She cannot move her legs and has limited mobility in her arms. Additionally her joints are contracted in her knees and hips so that she cannot bend her knees. This means that her legs do not bend at a 45 degree angle. She is only 5 feet tall and her legs are very short but they will stick out a bit more than a usual person in a wheelchair because they cannot bend fully.

She fits in the wheelchair lifts in the vans we take to doctor appointments- does this mean she will fit in the buses w/ wheelchair lifts at Disney? Are they standardized? What about the monorails? I'm also concerned about her ability to get into a plane. Any info would be great.

Are there stations to fill oxygen tanks at WDW? She needs to be on oxygen at times due to lung probs.

I would love suggestions on good hotels to stay considering our situation.

attractions, no problem..My DS has a long chair, and has always been accomodated. As for oxygen, there is no place on property..but, you can arrange with a home medical company to have the oxygen replenished. Have fun! It will be magic for both of you!!! ;)

As for hotels, I would suggest staying at one of the three monorail resorts, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, or Contemporary. It makes transportation that much easier. Buses are standard, and they do a great job of accomodating chairs and visitors. Staff at all parks is awesome. They are willing to do whatever it takes to make your trip special.

Poly 94
Poly 97
GF 00

The monorails have a car that fits wheelchairs. The doors on the other cars are too narrow, but the CMs will put up a small ramp for you and open an extra part of the door to get the wheelchair on the monorail. The only bad part is the MK and Epcot monorail stations have a rather steep ramp to get up from ground floor to where you board the monorail.
Quite a few things in each park are set up so someone can enjoy them without getting out of the wheelchair. She will be able to go to all the shows and quite a few rides. There is a link on the main DIS menu page that tells which rides are accessible while in the wheelchair. I can't get the page open right now, but will try later.
For the oxygen question, here are the phone numbers/web pages for some medical equipment places.
Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
Also lists respiratory equipment

You might also want to contact: RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS (407) 939-7807. This is the WDW phone number for assistance in getting equipment/service you need to enjoy your vacation.¢

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Sue, I thought I have seen an elevator at the monorail station at the TTC. I'm not positive, but I would think there should be one.

There may be one, Judith, but whe I took my mom in a WC back in '99 we asked for the elevator and were told to use the steep ramp.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

They may have added one, but there wasn't one before. It certainly is worth it to ask, since the ramp is quite steep.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Here's the link I promised to add.
If you follow it and scroll allllll the way down, you will find a list of rides/attractions in each park that can be enjoyed without getting out of the wheelchair. Those rides are also marked with a little wheelchair symbol on the park maps so you can tell at a glance which ones will be accessible.
The link also indicates which rides are "mainstream access" which means wheelchair users wait in the general line with everyone else. On some of those, you may be pulled off for boarding to an accessible spot, but most of the wait will be in the regular line.
Have fun.n

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

My husband just said he didn't think there was an elevator at the TTC - just the long, steep ramps. My mistake!

I would REALLY encourage you to bring your sister!! There will be rides & attractions she won't be able to do of course, but you know what? The magic of being at Disney will make the whole group happy... When I go, there are many rides I can't do, even some of the rides that I could get on, I can't because of other issues.. but I am so happy to be at Disney I don't care if I go on the rides or not!!! That is the truth!! The bus drivers are awesome.... your sister will have no problems getting on and off the busses... the bus drivers are ALL trained in getting wheelchairs on and off and it only takes a short time... They have two seats that fold up to accomodate wheelchairs, so in your sisters case they could raise both seats & have plenty of room for her legs.... As for Plane travel, that may be more difficult, will she be able to fit into a regular seat? There's not much legroom as you probably know on a plane...

Hope this helps!! I say bring her to Disney!!!

When you get seat assignments for the plane, try to get the bulkhead seats. They are at the front of the plane, just behind first class. There is usually a wall there. They have a little extra leg room and would be much easier to get in and out of. You also would not have to worry about someone reclining their seat in front of you.
The disadvantage is that you have to put your carry on bags in the overhead bins because there is no seat in front of you to put your bags under..

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter