Lots of Disneyland Paris Questions!

DanM3

Earning My Ears
Hi.

I am considering booking a surprise 4 night trip to Disneyland Paris for my wife and then 15 month old daughter in August 2018. It is myself and my wife's 30th birthdays in 2018 so wanted to do something to mark the occasion. However we have been to Disney world 3 times and Disneyland California once and I am worried that DLP will be disappointing in comparison - how does it really compare?
I understand that my daughter will not remember this trip(it's more for my wife), but has anybody been with an infant that could offer advice? Will she be able to go in some rides such as Peter Pan and it's a small world? Do they also offer rider swap on other rides? Also I'm thinking of staying at Santa Fe (due to budget), I'm guessing it's best to stay on site? I know this is a basic hotel but as long as it's clean that's fine. Sorry for asking so many questions!

I haven't been to DLP yet so I can't give you a true comparison, but I will say we're aware ahead of time that DLP will be different than DL and WDW, but that is exactly why we are going. We want to experience Disney differently than we have here in the states and with the cultural differences. Going in with those expectations I don't expect to be disappointed in any way. If I wanted to experience Disneyland California, I'd go to California. Lol Know what I mean?

I think anytime you go in expecting to be disappointed, you will be.

I know plenty of others will post and give you comparisons between the parks so you can truly decide if it's what you want to experience or not.

Hi.

I am considering booking a surprise 4 night trip to Disneyland Paris for my wife and then 15 month old daughter in August 2018. It is myself and my wife's 30th birthdays in 2018 so wanted to do something to mark the occasion. However we have been to Disney world 3 times and Disneyland California once and I am worried that DLP will be disappointing in comparison - how does it really compare?
I understand that my daughter will not remember this trip(it's more for my wife), but has anybody been with an infant that could offer advice? Will she be able to go in some rides such as Peter Pan and it's a small world? Do they also offer rider swap on other rides? Also I'm thinking of staying at Santa Fe (due to budget), I'm guessing it's best to stay on site? I know this is a basic hotel but as long as it's clean that's fine. Sorry for asking so many questions!

I can't help you with the baby stuff, but I stayed at Santa Fe and it was perfect for my needs. Cheap, clean, and on site. It was nice to be able to walk to the parks if I wanted or take the bus if I didn't. It's definitely not up to the same standard as either of the WDW parks, but they are in the process of improving them and I still thought it was a very worthwhile trip.

As a regular Disneyland California and Disneyland Paris visitor, I say to you what I say to everyone. Disneyland Paris is what I call Frenchified Disney. It is an American style theme park with the cultural and social aspects of France and central Europe.

Many USA visitors have a negative view of Disneyland Paris as they expect it to be Magic Kingdom scooped up and transported to France. It is not, it is its own unique park with its own unique experiences and aspects.

Go with an open mind to experience a something familiar yet very different. Dont expect the same level of food, customer service, guest behaviour, park appearance etc as the American parks.

Disneyland Paris has rides and experiences that are not in the USA parks. The Castle is different, it has a dragon underneath. Ratatouille is a completely unique ride not in any other park. Indiana Jones is a roller coaster, Pirates of The Caribbean has a very different themed queuing area to Disneyland California.

I have stayed at Santa Fe. While it is budget and based on an American Motel, its Disney budget. I have stayed at Motel 6 and other motels in LA. I would say Santa Fe compares more to Comfort Inn than to Motel 6.

Yes it is best to stay onsite. Santa Fe is at most a 20 minute walk from the park entrance and there are frequent shuttle buses. I did walk to the parks but took the bus back when I stayed at Santa Fe.

Onsite hotels give all hotel guests access to EMH.

Also a few things to remember when pricing Disneyland Paris
Prices for Disneyland Paris listed on the official website are for park tickets and hotel package. You get park hopper tickets for both your arrival day and your departure.
You can book your package through ANY country website, not just the website for your local country.
For example I am from Ireland and for my last visit in February 2016 I book through the French website.
Each country website has different deals and offers so do your research and stay away from the USA Disneyland Paris website as that is notoriously more expensive than the European Disneyland Paris websites

I hate to be negative but I would be cautious about this trip. Remember DLP isn't going anywhere!

I think it'll be tough with a 15 month old. I remember having a little kid and it was tough enough at home. I can imagine the images in your head, but remember the nappies, buggy, Calpol, toys etc etc

There is a lot of walking, queuing and it'll be busy at that time of year. I went in July with my 5 and 3 year old and they really liked it, but I can't say they really appreciated it. The 3 year old already has hazy memories! Disney is geared towards older kids, teens and adults. But look if you are Disney addicts and your kid is chilled out and sleeping, you
will surely have a good time. Just Don't go with any illusion that it'll be magical for her. Go onto the website and check height restrictions but I think the ride line up will be very limited for a 15 month old. Some 'kid' rides are quite scary for kids - like Snow White for sure and possibly Pinnochio

Also, are you sure surprising your wife is a good idea? With a young un you should probably talk it through and think about it together. My wife likes Disney but has been the primary carer so I doubt she would have been happy to go back then and we would have needed a lot of talking but that's just us!

As an adult, I would say that DLP, broadly, would be disappointing if you expect WDW. It is far smaller. The technology is way behind and the attraction line up inferior. The weather is worse and my wife missed the upbeat Americans! On the other hand the theming and atmosphere is the best in any Disney park and there are some amazing attractions. It is Disney after all. And actually, with a 15 month old the smallness of DLP will be an advantage. It is more manageable.

Remember Santa Fe doesn't have a pool. Not much of a retreat! I would have thought with a kid you'd want to be able to go back and relax as staying at the park all day would be hard. I think Cheyenne is the better budget hotel although also doesn't have a pool. Staying onsite is good as it will eliminate commuting to the parks and you have EMH, which I suspect you'll be able to take advantage of with a young kid! Hope that is helpful.

Last edited:
I keep linking this article to WDW visitors on the fence about going to DLP for the first time:
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/should-you-visit-disneyland-paris/
It is really well written and I think it nailed the topic. It should help you set the right expectations. And on the same blog there are a lot of useful planning tips.

I would strongly suggest to book the Cheyenne, it is usually the same price or just a few Euro more, but the theming is so much better and 5 minutes shorter walk to the parks.

I would also recommend the Cheyenne. It is more recently refurbished and has usb sockets, a kettle in the room and if you go for the standard room with the single bed it will have more room for a cot. There is also a laundry on site. It's layout is also easier to navigate and the walk past the lake and through the village is delightful.
Yes there is rider swap on some atttractions. Have a look at the official website under "Help", "Guest services", "Visiting Disneyland Paris with children" for more information.
If your priorities are to explore the parks and watch the parades and shows rather than riding lots of attractions you'll have a great time. The Counter Service options are not as good as America, but there are some great buffet options which will be good with a little one.

My husband and I frequent WDW and Disneyland in Cali. We did our first DLP trip back in May and had a great time. It wasn't too busy when we were there, so 2 days was plenty for us. The comparison posts I read before going were mostly negative. I honestly feel as if you go with an open mind and realize it's not going to be what you're used to in the American parks, you'll have a great time! There are parts of DLP We didn't like as much, but there are many things we actually liked better! We stayed at Newport Bay the entire time we were in France. We also did 2 days in Paris and getting to and from the city was pretty easy. Also, as previously posted, definitely compare prices on the different country's sites. We booked on the UK site and saved almost 50% in comparison to the US site.

Thank you all for the replies. I am under not illusions that it's no going to be easy with our daughter but our focus will be shows, parades and character meets and generally the walking to round be enjoying the atmosphere. We visited Disneyland California when my wife was pregnant so that was our focus then. Although it's a surprise my wife has told me she wants to go next year - so I'm not too concerned, but I might talk it through first. I think I have my expectations set right, I'm not expecting WDW or DL but I'm excited to see the French take on it. In fact I've watched a few videos and it looks great.
I have looked at the hotels and hotel Cheyenne is only £40 more and i like the theming. However I read in another thread that Sequoia Lodge is very similar the Disneyland California's grand Californian hotel, how accurate is that? As we love that hotel. It's about £120 more than Cheyenne. Thanks for the tip about comparing different countries sites, I have compared sites but the uk site is cheapest at the minute. Thanks again for all the info.

However I read in another thread that Sequoia Lodge is very similar the Disneyland California's grand Californian hotel, how accurate is that? As we love that hotel. It's about £120 more than Cheyenne.

I have stayed at Sequoia Lodge and been to the bar / lobby / shops area of Grand Californian. The two are very alike themeing wise. Just check which rooms in Sequoia Lodge you are pricing. There are 2 levels of standard rooms. The more expensive standard rooms are located in the main building, while the cheaper standard rooms are located in lodges, buildings separate from the main hotel building. Also the swimming pool in Sequoia Lodge is not in the main building either.

Sequoia Lodge is a shorter walk to the park than Cheyenne

I imagine that the rooms at the Sequoia are not to the same size or standard as the Californian. It's a while since they were refurbished now. They are fine and comfortable, but not quite at the american standard. I would stay there if the pool is important to you. Also the restaurants, bar and shop are nicer than the Cheyenne.

However I read in another thread that Sequoia Lodge is very similar the Disneyland California's grand Californian hotel, how accurate is that? As we love that hotel. It's about £120 more than Cheyenne.

The general feeling fo the resort is similar, but the Gand Cali is a true deluxe hotel, the Sequoia lodge is a moderate. Inside the Sequoia is missing the arts and crafts that make the Grand Cali so nice to explore. It's my favorite moderate but not as beautiful as the GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!