Loved SSR!

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
We loved the pool, room, location - pretty much everything! Only had a few concerns:

Check-in: It took almost 1 hour on Wed. morn (July 13) - way too long! Not enough CMs working at all! Much different than cash resorts where I've never waited longer than 10 mins. despite very long lines at resorts such as AKL & Caribbean Beach.

Door lock broke: Had a major problem with our lock - couldn't get into our rooms one night at 10:30 while carrying my 31lb. DD2. Had to go back in car, drive to Carriage house and have CM drive over to let us in. Next morning we had a major miscommunication regarding the engineer coming to fix it (we lost 2.5 hours waiting for him) - resort sent us Mickey balloons, signed card, golden Mickey ears and SSR metal paperweight for our trouble - very nice surprise indeed!

Artist Palette - Didn't care for it as the food selections leave something to be desired, can't wait until they add a restaurant!

Housekeeping - Our room wasn't ready until 4:00 pm Wed. afternoon, yet housekeeping was knocking on our door early Sat. morn for a full clean since they are scheduled for day 4. They need to reschedule the housecleaning schedule in our opinion as trash/towel service should come first for those of us staying more than 10 days, with a full clean sometime in between. We didn't care for sleeping on the same sheets for more than 8 nights (used extra sheets on pull-out bed). Didn't think we could ask for more sheets without being charged, and didn't know if we were allowed to wash the sheets. With three of us sleeping in one bed (DH, DD2 & me), clean sheets would have been nice.

Basically, we had a fabulous trip. The resort is lovely! We had great fun talking with a CM who also showed us where the Caroussel & Grandstand buildings are going (we actually watched them digging last week!), with a racetrack themed pool and possible restaurant. He said the restaurant is the hardest thing to work out the details for, but he said it's coming soon!

Would be glad to answer any questions as we were there for 12 days and loved every minute of it - my DH is already busy planning our next trip (I've created a DVC monster!)

Tiger :earsgirl:

Tiger926 said:
They need to reschedule the housecleaning schedule in our opinion as trash/towel service should come first for those of us staying more than 10 days, with a full clean sometime in between. We didn't care for sleeping on the same sheets for more than 8 nights (used extra sheets on pull-out bed). Didn't think we could ask for more sheets without being charged, and didn't know if we were allowed to wash the sheets. With three of us sleeping in one bed (DH, DD2 & me), clean sheets would have been nice.

Thanks for the nice report!

BTW, you can change the room cleaning schedule any way that you want. You just need to ask during check-in. You don't pay anything extra unless you request services beyond those provided for your trip length, but you can change the scheduled service days at no cost. This applies to all DVC resorts.

And, yes, you are welcome to clean the sheets yourself if you wish. :)

Thanks so much for the info! I knew one of you DVC experts would have the answer.

Tiger

I think Magic Your Way is backing up the lines at check in some too, so not sure its DVC related or not. (the staff at SSR shouldn't be "new" anymore - so hopefully this will be corrected soon).

AP seems to have lovers and non-lovers. We have stopped in there on other trips and it always seems empty. I am actually kinda looking forward to having something quick onsite versus a sit down menu. With small children, the wait at a traditional restaurant can be awful after a day at the parks, so its a catch-22 often.

Glad you had a wonderful trip other than those things!

Laura

Tiger926, thanks for the report. You mentioned a racetrack themed pool. Can you expand on that? I mean, do you know if it will be a small quiet pool or a second large pool?
I own at SSR but will not get there till May of 2006. Again, thanks for sharing the information.

Tiger926 said:
Basically, we had a fabulous trip. The resort is lovely! We had great fun talking with a CM who also showed us where the Caroussel & Grandstand buildings are going (we actually watched them digging last week!), with a racetrack themed pool and possible restaurant. He said the restaurant is the hardest thing to work out the details for, but he said it's coming soon!

Tiger :earsgirl:

Wow, those are two interesting pieces of information. We all speculated, but another themed pool and sit-down restaurant sound more realistic based on this.

I'm pretty disappointed that DVC hasn't released any details yet. They are starting construction work, so clearly there is a plan in place. Even if they haven't finalized details on a restaurant, they could always list the area as "TBD" on any published maps.

I tried searching the Orange County public records site about a week ago, but wasn't able to turn up anything new. There were drawings on file dated as recently as July '05, but they all related to The Paddock buildings--nothing beyond that.

Maybe the next issue of Vacation Magic... :confused3

With all the gripes and comments here, you would think it would have been high priority to release this info. I can only assume that since they haven't, they aren't getting feedback for "lost sales" that indicates this is an issue.

Sometimes it does seem like they take forever to see the light at WDW in general.

Tiger926 said:
/QUOTE]

I haven't been following the SSR threads too closely so I may be out of touch... Are the carrousel and grandstand buildings the new villa buildings at SSR; the ones to be built after the paddocks? How many are there in that section? Also, I'm very curious about the new pool and possible restaurant. Is there any more info on these?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter