Loving the Journey - Feb 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Love the topic!! I've never heard of "inner parent" but I'd say I'm very in touch with my inner child. :rotfl2:

The surface part is that I work with kids, mostly preschoolers, and I unapologetically enjoy coloring and PlayDoh and all those things I "have" to do.

But the deeper level is that it helps preserve my sense of wonder, which I think is so important to happiness in this world. It's about learning all the time.

As for my "inner parent" - I think I've gotten better at that over time, even without knowing it had a name. I judge myself less than I used to, and try to ask myself how I would treat someone else who was feeling like I am in a particular situation.

Last edited:
TOPIC TUESDAY:

The concept of "inner child" has been out there for quite a while, someone here mentioned their inner child last week (sorry, I've forgotten who it was) and I've been working on "inner child" stuff in my counseling sessions. I recently heard someone use the term "inner parent" and that was a new phrase to me.

Is your inner parent a positive influence or a negative one? Are they supportive or do they criticize and bring you down? How about your inner child, are they healthy and happy? How do they contribute or inhibit your progress towards living your healthiest life?

View attachment 472807
WOW

You just blew my mind.🤯

My inner child is pretty spoiled. She loves to have fun. She’s the life of the party. She loves shopping, spa days, delicious food, and hates vegetables. She LOVES Disney World and Disneyland. She hates paying bills, doing taxes, going to the doctor, and faculty meetings. She hates adulting.

My inner parent (who I never realized was there), forces my inner child to be responsible and act like an adult.

The two of them are at odds a lot. Most of the time the inner adult wins except when she doesn’t.

My inner child is always there. But my inner adult comes out more. I am very hard on myself for everything. Even the way I parent. My inner adult wins almost every battle except for my TV watching. I have been know to watch too much TV and to continue to watch shows my kids watch. Which is funny because I loved watching shows when I was younger that were not based for a kid to watch. I loved watching Lifetime movies and Diagnosis Murder. So they taste in TV has somewhat flip flopped.

So many thoughts rumbling around in my brain about inner child and inner parent. Neither has been functioning in a healthful way, that is for certain.

I've long felt that parts of me got stuck in girlhood and as things are shifting with the counseling work, what is clearest to me is the feeling of bringing those pieces forward to adulthood. My inner parent is pretty negative and criticizes poor choices but doesn't help guide toward the good, so there is definitely something I can do here to reprogram her as well.... ha, I've been parenting the child and now I need to parent the parent!

My inner child is more likely to sit on the deck with a good book rather than do the vacuuming and clean the kitchen floor. Or think cheese and crackers and a martini is a good dinner instead of the chicken and vegetables I prepared. Sometimes I indulge her, sometimes I firmly, but kindly, tell her not today. It comes down to balance-after a while not exercising and poor meal choices are not fun anymore, but always saying no isn’t realistic either.

Great topic!

Whoohoo its Wednesday and the scale is moving in the right direction

Good and big question. The child in me lost my mum at age 9 and my dad was not very able to express emotional support to be honest. He showed his love with food and treats (and I have no idea how was I skinny! The adult in me is trying how to be better, I provide my DS with all my love and support but I am not sure I am extending same to myself tbh.

Interesting question.

As a kindergarten teacher, I feel like I’m still in touch with my inner child. I like to play! I like to run around at recess. And of course, I love everything Disney. I think Disney always helps us keep in touch with our inner child. However, I don’t know that I’m really as in touch as it seems in the surface. I think my inner parent has more control. I’m always focused on the work that needs to be done, the planning and prep to make it all happen, and don’t allow myself to really relax much. However, when I do relax, I RELAX! When I do play, I PLAY! And I think that’s why I don’t it as often as I should.

This was a great topic that really got me thinking! Thanks @Oneanne!

Woohoo, it's Wednesday!

Had a bit of work drama pop up late yesterday and I've managed to stay disconnected from it, which is quite an improvement... a couple weeks ago it would have sent me in to a tail spin, but now I'm like, whatever, here we go again, let me know when you've worked it out.

I recently discovered that you should wash your face twice - once with an oil based cleanser to get the makeup/grime off and once with a creamy/milky cleanser to actually wash your skin. I started doing this last week and it's kind of amazing what a difference it makes. I'm really quite pleased with the results.

We almost had three consecutive days without rain... almost.

Woohoo - I’m flying to Florida today! Vero Beach, here I come!!! ☀

Have a great time

I recently discovered that you should wash your face twice - once with an oil based cleanser to get the makeup/grime off and once with a creamy/milky cleanser to actually wash your skin. I started doing this last week and it's kind of amazing what a difference it makes. I'm really quite pleased with the results.

This is interesting. I will have to try this.

I am home again today. I am starting to think it is an ear infection since i am getting a lot of pressure in my ear. might be going to the dr. just giving it some time to see if it goes away.

Have a great time

This is interesting. I will have to try this.
I bought the PIXI Carolyn Hirons Double Cleanse... I follow Carolyn on IG and she's the one I heard about double cleansing from. I'm happy with it and it's a pretty low price point, so double win in my book. But I think you can use any products as long as first cleanse is oil based and second is creamy/milky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts