Low fodmap diet

Gina Starr

DIS Veteran
I searched the boards and haven't seen anything recent about low fodmap. It's a special diet for people with ibs. If you aren't familiar it's unfortunately not as simple as gluten free or dairy free. There's a lot of random restrictions like onion and garlic. Does anyone here have any experience with eating a low fodmap diet at Disney? I know how awesome they are about allergies especially at table service but I plan on eating mostly quick service. I'm actually not even excited about the trip because I'm so worried about what I'm going to eat and not getting to eat my favorites.

While I haven't tried the diet while in Disney, I did have to be on it while trying to figure out a new allergen. Turned out to be a garlic allergy. That was over three years ago and the last allergen I've added to my long list. I like eating a QS as it's so much faster most of the time. There are a few table service places that I really too including Skippers Canteen, the Wave, Tusker House, Trail's End, and Trattoria al Forno. As for QS, there's a bunch of places I like.

Magic Kingdom: Pecos Bills
Epcot: Sunshine Seasons
Hollywood Studios: Backlot Express & ABC Commissary
Animal Kingdom: don't have a favorite here yet but I'm really looking forward to trying Satuli's Canteen next trip
Resorts: Captain Cooks, Landscapes of Flavor, Old Port Royale Food Court, and Geyser Point

Are you still at the point where you are low on all FODMAPs or have you moved on to challenges? If you can work out which ones are your worst triggers you may be able to ask for food without those and manage for a short trip. Most kitchens find it easier if you can give a list of foods you can’t have but sometimes the list of things you can eat may be shorter. If not I’d suggest thinking of a few basic things you can ask to be made for you if you get stuck. I’ve done a few different elimination diets and know other people who have too. One person (more than just FODMAP restrictions) used to have to simply ask for a plain grilled chicken breast with no seasoning and a selection of steamed vegetables (after asking which ones were available). It made for a boring meal but happy stomach when things got really tough.

I searched the boards and haven't seen anything recent about low fodmap. It's a special diet for people with ibs. If you aren't familiar it's unfortunately not as simple as gluten free or dairy free. There's a lot of random restrictions like onion and garlic. Does anyone here have any experience with eating a low fodmap diet at Disney? I know how awesome they are about allergies especially at table service but I plan on eating mostly quick service. I'm actually not even excited about the trip because I'm so worried about what I'm going to eat and not getting to eat my favorites.

If it's a really complicated issue, perhaps get a room with a kitchenette and prepare your own meals to bring into the parks?

Are you still at the point where you are low on all FODMAPs or have you moved on to challenges? If you can work out which ones are your worst triggers you may be able to ask for food without those and manage for a short trip. Most kitchens find it easier if you can give a list of foods you can’t have but sometimes the list of things you can eat may be shorter. If not I’d suggest thinking of a few basic things you can ask to be made for you if you get stuck. I’ve done a few different elimination diets and know other people who have too. One person (more than just FODMAP restrictions) used to have to simply ask for a plain grilled chicken breast with no seasoning and a selection of steamed vegetables (after asking which ones were available). It made for a boring meal but happy stomach when things got really tough.
No I haven't started elimination yet. I knew it would be hard at Disney and I want to focus 100% on it when I get home. I think I will just stick with eating as bland as possible. Thanks for the advice!

While I haven't tried the diet while in Disney, I did have to be on it while trying to figure out a new allergen. Turned out to be a garlic allergy. That was over three years ago and the last allergen I've added to my long list. I like eating a QS as it's so much faster most of the time. There are a few table service places that I really too including Skippers Canteen, the Wave, Tusker House, Trail's End, and Trattoria al Forno. As for QS, there's a bunch of places I like.

Magic Kingdom: Pecos Bills
Epcot: Sunshine Seasons
Hollywood Studios: Backlot Express & ABC Commissary
Animal Kingdom: don't have a favorite here yet but I'm really looking forward to trying Satuli's Canteen next trip
Resorts: Captain Cooks, Landscapes of Flavor, Old Port Royale Food Court, and Geyser Point
Thank you!

No I haven't started elimination yet. I knew it would be hard at Disney and I want to focus 100% on it when I get home. I think I will just stick with eating as bland as possible. Thanks for the advice!
Good luck. It’s a long journey but worth it in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!