Low-Key Proposal/Engagement Ideas?

CharleneTheDM

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

I have a rather silly question (and I've also searched previous threads on this topic as well). It kinda defeats the whole, surprise and romantic aspect of it, but my boyfriend is planning to propose to me somewhere at DLR when we visit in late September! We had picked out the ring together and I told him I would be over the moon if he proposed at my/the Happiest Place On Earth. He is game, but feels clueless.

I'm definitely the err, planner in this relationship and would love some insights/ideas to guide him/point him in the right direction!

He doesn't feel comfortable doing a "grand gesture" such as popping the question in front of the castle/crowds. And since I know, there isn't really the "surprise" aspect.

But I was wondering if ya'll could share tips as to what are some places that could still make it special (and comfortable for him)?

I had told him I booked Napa Rose Chef's Counter, if he wanted to do something more low-key. I also told him that PhotoPass spots would be great too for photographers to capture the moment but he kind of cringed :P

Also, do they still have "Just Engaged" pins at City Hall? What are some cute, couple-y things to do to celebrate?

I'd love to pass along everyone's tips, thanks in advance!

I think you need to give him more credit and leave it up to him. You need at least a bit of spontaneity. It will feel much more special, in my opinion, for both of you if you have faith in him and let him plan it. What’s the point otherwise? Congratulations.

Perhaps if you make several suggestions, when he actually proposes it will still be a surprise for you. My thoughts are:

1. The well at Snow White’s Grotto.
2. On The Mark Twain.
3. Town Square or beneath Walt’s office.
4. A secluded spot on Tom Sawyer Island.
5. As the sun begins to set on the rocks near Big Thunder.

I was thinking of taking a slow walk through the Castle, giving him "opportunities"

This might be a good spot...
View attachment 426412
It would definitely be a surprise to go all the way to France for the proposal! 😉

(This is the castle at Disneyland Paris. Ours is sadly lacking in stained glass windows.)

Seriously, though, as other posters mentioned, he should plan it. I mean. At least SOMETHING about it.

Hi! I skipped this thread because I don’t know anything about DL. However I do know a lot about shy proposals. Long story but if I hadn’t spoon fed my then boyfriend a low key proposal idea, well, those two kids in my avatar picture wouldn’t exist. If I were doing it again today, I’d just propose to him and be done with it.

I like some of the ideas listed above, especially Tom Sawyer Island. Honestly though, I’d talk to him about the whole proposal idea. If he’s really shy, proposing anywhere in public may be a bridge too far. My husband at one point took the ring with us to a restaurant in NYC but was too shy to propose there. He ended up proposing early in the morning on a park bench at our local park. I don’t think anyone around us even realized what he’d done.

On a related topic, to actually have your wedding at DL begins, I'm told by CMs, at $250,000. I've heard of -- and friends have seen -- couple that simply do it on the sly on the Mark Twain. They have a priest/JOTP/whatever accompany them and perform the ceremony on board. I believe this is likely a violation of DL policy but that's probably why they did it on the boat: security wouldn't be able to stop them. By the time they could get on board (wihtout chasing via canoe), the couple would already be married.

It starts much lower than that! If you want to do it in the park and not one of the hotels, things get more expensive, but most things don't get that high. There are some line items in the upgrade package that get up to around there though.

On a related topic, to actually have your wedding at DL begins, I'm told by CMs, at $250,000.
Not sure if you are joking or not, but just in case more people like me are not getting the joke, and thinking about getting married at DL. At DL weddings begin at $6,500 for the low-key weddings, the more upscale weddings start at $15,000
https://www.disneyweddings.com/california

For in-park venues the as-of prices are not published, but according to several websites: If you want to get married in front of the castle after dark it starts at $180,000, but morning sessions before opening hours are cheaper and start at about $65,000

Not sure if you are joking or not, but just in case more people like me are not getting the joke, and thinking about getting married at DL. At DL weddings begin at $6,500 for the low-key weddings, the more upscale weddings start at $15,000
https://www.disneyweddings.com/california

For in-park venues the as-of prices are not published, but according to several websites: If you want to get married in front of the castle after dark it starts at $180,000, but morning sessions before opening hours are cheaper and start at about $65,000
We saw that there had been a wedding one morning and I wondered what that had cost! I wouldn’t want to get up that early to get my hair and makeup done, though. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter