Luggage Recommendations??

Lover_of_Disney

Mouseketeer
During our previous vacations we have had horrible luck with luggage!! Our bags have been torn apart by the airlines and once our luggage was spilled out on the loading area IN THE RAIN!!!

We would like to invest in a practical luggage set. Anyone have any recommendations??

We usually pack our 35mm, digital and video cameras as well as our lap top. Our vacations are at least 10 days so we need something that offers excellent organization. We will also be traveling with a young infant for our next vacation!

Wow, you pack all of that in your checked luggage? I greatly fear damage to my laptop and would never be able to rest comfortably if it was in my checked bag. So I bought a backpack made by Targus (the line is called Rakgear) that holds the laptop securely and has lots of room for adapters, cables, and generally whatever else you want to put on. It's not any bigger than a regular backpack either. This doesn't exactly answer your question, but as for general luggage, I'm a big Samsonite fan!

I read on these boards about some one who had camera equipment stolen out of thier checked in bag. So maybe you should carry on anything of great value. As for luggage "L.L.Bean "makes the best stuff and they offer your complete money back at any time for any reason.

I researched all different kinds of luggage for about 6 months before I bought anything. I went to a variety of different stores, looked through catalogs (including LLBean and Lands End). I looked at American Tourister, Atlantic, Samsonite, Travelpro, lots of others.

The absolute best luggage I found that was somewhat affordable was Paragon luggage also called Pathfinder luggage. Here is their website:

Pathfinder Luggage

I would recommend going with either the Presidental II or the Presidential Pro (you can go with the others if you can afford the higher prices ones). The TX2 and the Avenger are made from lighter weight fabric, so you may want to avoid those.

I have about 6 pieces of this luggage, travel about 3 times a year (Disney and other places) and this is just the BEST luggage. I bought each piece one at a time over the last couple of years, so I could afford to have as many pieces as I do.

It is a little pricey, but I am usually able to get it on sale at my local department store (Filenes), and sometimes can even also use a 50% coupon.

So if you don't need something immediately, you can wait for sales and get this luggage at a fairly reasonable prices.

I think I've paided between $130-$180 (per piece) for a variety of different sizes - the small carryon up to the largest suitcase they make (29"), which is too large for us since the airlines started cracking down on luggage weight. I use our 2-26" cases for almost every trip. I've even bought this luggage for family members in the past. I

Maybe you can tell, I really love this luggage - I don't have any reason for recommending it other than I love this luggage (I don't sell it or have any financial interest in this company).

Hope this helps!!

Anything I can't afford to lose is in my carry-on. I WOULD NOT pack any camera equipment, PC, etc. In fact, they recommend that you NOT pack your 35mm film because of the luggage x-ray machines.

Our family uses duffle bags that you can get at Target for about $25-30 each. They are manageable in size and you can squeeze/conform them into just about any rental car trunk.

We tie colorful ribbons on the handle (not too long) and take the shoulder straps off once at the airport (they will ask you to do this).

Never had a problem and never had anything damaged!!!

My big Christmas present this year was a set of Atlantic Infinity 5.0 luggage. There are 4 pieces and they fit one inside the other. That's a big plus since we will be taking a 7-night cruise this summer and it will save on closet space once we unpack.

The amount of space inside the bags is amazing and there is a zipper that you can undo to expand the bag another 2-1/2 inches (great for all those souvenirs). Each bag also has a separate hamper area and a retractable, recessed, covered handle as well as high-quality skate wheels.

If you are considering an online purchase, .eBags.com has Atlantic as well other luggage with free shipping right now. Or you can use the coupon code 8694696 to get 20% off your entire order. Either way, there will be no sales tax. ;) And you can compare the features of a variety of luggage right on their site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter