Lurkers - come on out

Have you tried hypnosis with him? ;)
LOLOL! Everything short of it. To be fair, he did go with me on my birthday back in 2011. Unfortunately, my birthday is March 9, in the midst of spring break, so it was packed -- not a great first Disney experience for him. Less than a year later, I was in Los Angeles for work and since he manages my work, he was there with me and because it was a stressful trip, he surprised me by taking me to Disneyland for a day. But that was it for him, he won't go back unless, maybe, if we go with people who will do rides with me because he is not much into it. Which is surprising to me as he is a real big kid at heart. So, I decided to go at it alone. I have been there, easily, 20 times since 1980, but it will be my first alone at Disney. Being an introvert, this can be good or not so good. Because I am an introvert, I can go a long time without people interaction and, in fact, that is how I recharge. But Disney is also all about sharing with loved ones, so I may miss that aspect of it. Either way, I am very excited about going and I will have a blast. I will be doing MK and EPCOT, so the toughest part, though, may be the Canada Pavilion. My partner/husband is originally from Montreal, so I will REALLY feel him not being there with me.
:smickey:

Last edited:
I am curious what, specifically, he doesn't like about Disney? Is it mainly the crowds, or something else? Generally I have found that if people don't like it, it's for some reason that, at least to a degree, can be mitigated. Like my ex thought it was all "baby stuff" but we did a trip and went to some really nice restaurants, and focused more on shows than attractions, and the opinion changed.

I am curious what, specifically, he doesn't like about Disney? Is it mainly the crowds, or something else? Generally I have found that if people don't like it, it's for some reason that, at least to a degree, can be mitigated. Like my ex thought it was all "baby stuff" but we did a trip and went to some really nice restaurants, and focused more on shows than attractions, and the opinion changed.

Let's say the crowd did not help, but he is not generally into amusement parks, although he recognizes Disney World is much more than that. He does appreciate how the place is run and how the experience can be really appealing to some, but is not into going on rides much. Unfortunately, he did not heed my warning and, to please me, went on Space Mountain. This was one of the rides I would have preferred he NOT go on with me and told him so. To make matters worse, he had a sinus infection all through our visit. On Mission Space, I spent most of the ride trying to make sure he was not going to pass out (and we only did the green side!). I got to know the infirmary at both EPCOT and MK well as we scouted for sinus meds. Since I recently went through a sinus infection myself, I realized then just how much he loves me having dealt with several days of it at WDW while trying to be a trooper. I would not have made it!

That said, he liked EPCOT way more than MK. Of course, being originally from Montreal, I was eager to get him to the Canada Pavilion. This was park of my marketing to get him enthused! He loved the 360 film and how the Pavilion was laid out, with Quebec City landmarks. And since he is half French, I enticed him by reserving dinner in France. He loved it (and the wine). For my birthday, we reserved at Tokyo Dining (I love Sushi). He did like these experiences. And one of the highlights for him was seeing the MSEP at the MK. I actually saw tears in his eyes watching the parade! When he found out it is leaving MK right before I get there, knowing how much I love it, he was deeply saddened for me. I am grateful he got to experience it. I sometimes find him in the kitchen playing the MSEP song on our Amazon ECHO. But that is as far as it goes. I cannot even get him to watch a Disney animated film with me. He loses interest. Since I have every Disney blu ray available, I just watch them on my own. I learned that I can have a thoroughly fulfilling, loving relationship with someone who is just an incredible partner and yet not always have to share everything.

So, in his case, he does not see Disney as a kids only place, and he fully appreciates my love for it. It is just not his thing. If we were going with other people who'd get on the rides with me, he may go, but not just the two of us. He'll get on the Walt Disney World Railroad or the Jungle Cruise, but he refused to go on the Norway ride (now Frozen) because he heard it had a drop. The Pirates of the Caribbean was OK, but once was enough for him while I would have gone a few more times. He did like the Haunted Mansion (who wouldn't? LOL) and did go on it a few times between WDW and DL. But again, it is not an experience he needs to repeat whereas I could move into the park anytime and live there for the rest of my life! Just for kicks, every so often I say, "Are you sure you don't want to come with me? You can still come with me...." I get a quick "No." LOL. Instead, he is going up to Montreal this week to see family for a week. I'm staying behind and then I go to Disney.
:tigger:

Thanks! I am actually an introvert, which means I can be alone for long periods of time without being lonely. I would prefer my partner was going with me, but he is not into Disney and going to WDW once was enough for him, so he would not budge no matter how much I begged. I love Disney and figured I rather go alone than not at all, so I am doing it. I'll definitely check out the meet up thread.

pluto:

Sounds like you've tried everything you could to get him interested. As you said, some people just aren't into it (which I don't fully understand). I enjoyed perusing your blog about visiting solo. It's something I've never done but really want to plan a trip. I actually was thinking of an impromptu trip this week until I noticed the weather reports.

Sounds like you've tried everything you could to get him interested. As you said, some people just aren't into it (which I don't fully understand). I enjoyed perusing your blog about visiting solo. It's something I've never done but really want to plan a trip. I actually was thinking of an impromptu trip this week until I noticed the weather reports.
Yeah, I have come to accept that my partner is never going to be a Disney fan...as much as he accepts the fact that I am crazy about Disney. Ironically, I think it is one of the things he loves about me and it thrilled him when I told him I wanted to go alone. He knows it is a leap for me, but he is happy I get to go (and he doesn't). LOL. This will be my fist solo trip, so it was a leap but I slowly started getting excited. The more I researched, the more comfortable I got with the solo idea. If I had never been there before I think it may be terrifying, but having been there so many times, I know the place front and backwards and know exactly what I am getting into. Because I am going alone, I also am doing things that I have never done before when going with others, such as dinner at the Cinderella's Royal Table.

Thanks for your comment about my blog. I have gotten comments from people saying I really helped them make the decision to go alone. That is wonderful to hear. Needless to say, I will write about every single experience when I am there.

My last trip, my friend was having anxiety issues so I spent a good amount of time alone in the parks. I thought it would be weird but I actually ended up enjoying it. While I love to share my experiences with someone else (friends or whatever), going alone gave me a different outlook on it and it was comfortable doing it alone as well. I am an introvert as well (tho more outgoing with people than I used to be but I don't normally strike up conversations with strangers). @Alfredo68 I bet you will still have an awesome time.

My last trip, my friend was having anxiety issues so I spent a good amount of time alone in the parks. I thought it would be weird but I actually ended up enjoying it. While I love to share my experiences with someone else (friends or whatever), going alone gave me a different outlook on it and it was comfortable doing it alone as well. I am an introvert as well (tho more outgoing with people than I used to be but I don't normally strike up conversations with strangers). @Alfredo68 I bet you will still have an awesome time.

Thank you @njchris, I think it will be great. I am really excited. I tend to be OK around people, but the interaction wears me out. The grocery store is possibly the biggest torture for me, though I just came back from the post office to mail stuff for my work and got back worn out. I hate the post office! Being alone at Disney will not have a lot of people interaction, as odd as that sounds, but you probably know what I mean. One-on-one I tend to do great, so I will probably strike conversations with Cast Members, which is harder to do when you're with other people. I used to live in FL, so going to Disney was something we did regularly. I went with family, with friends, on dates (the best way to find out if you're compatible!), with my school on Junior Grad, you name it...except alone (though with the school I was pretty much alone because I did not have many friends). This will really be a new experience. I do wish my partner was going, but since he won't, it will be fine. He is pretty much the only person I can be with that I feel as good as I do when I am alone.

Another good thing about going alone as an introvert is that some of the rides allow you alone time for a good 15minutes or so, like the Haunted Mansion. Once in the Doom Buggy, one is alone. I love it. Other rides are a bit more communal, like It's A Small World or The Pirates of the Caribbean, but I'll manage. And I can ride a ride as many times as I want without anyone complaining. I would enjoy meeting up with people from DIS, but only if it was for short times. Although, what can I say, I won't know how it all unfolds until i actually walk into the park on October 24. I may freeze and go, "What have I done?!" LOL.

Yeah, I have come to accept that my partner is never going to be a Disney fan...as much as he accepts the fact that I am crazy about Disney. Ironically, I think it is one of the things he loves about me and it thrilled him when I told him I wanted to go alone. He knows it is a leap for me, but he is happy I get to go (and he doesn't). LOL. This will be my fist solo trip, so it was a leap but I slowly started getting excited. The more I researched, the more comfortable I got with the solo idea. If I had never been there before I think it may be terrifying, but having been there so many times, I know the place front and backwards and know exactly what I am getting into. Because I am going alone, I also am doing things that I have never done before when going with others, such as dinner at the Cinderella's Royal Table.

Thanks for your comment about my blog. I have gotten comments from people saying I really helped them make the decision to go alone. That is wonderful to hear. Needless to say, I will write about every single experience when I am there.

Looking forward to seeing the blog after you next trip and planning my own solo trip. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Although, what can I say, I won't know how it all unfolds until i actually walk into the park on October 24. I may freeze and go, "What have I done?!" LOL.

Naaaaaaaaah. I think you'll be fine. But if you get really lonesome, there are other DISers there when you will be, as I recall... and hey, we'll all be here madly jealous you're there, and more than happy to help keep you entertained by begging you for trip reports!

@njchris , you will be in good company if you meet up with me and my partner one day in the parks. She is pretty introverted too.

I, however, am not! I have a feeling @Jonas_Swe and I have that in common. LOL.

@njchris , you will be in good company if you meet up with me and my partner one day in the parks. She is pretty introverted too.

I, however, am not! I have a feeling @Jonas_Swe and I have that in common. LOL.

Love it!! Do we wear any special something to let each other know we're part of the DIS? I wish there was a special pin we could all get to wear and recognize each other. Aside from all the pins on my lanyard that I'll have to trade with CM's! LOL.

White gardenias in our lapels! Lol. Actually I believe the typical DIS symbol has been a lime green Mickey head. We could do a rainbow one!

White gardenias in our lapels! Lol. Actually I believe the typical DIS symbol has been a lime green Mickey head. We could do a rainbow one!
And gardenias are my favorite flower too! (lots of them here in Atlanta). I do like the idea of the lime green Mickey head (lime green being my partner's favorite color). Where do I get one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter