M&G etiquette

heather13

DIS Veteran
What are your thoughts on etiquette while standing in a long M&G line? Thinking in particular of MNSSHP long lines, some of which begin at 4 for a character that might not appear for 2-3 hours. Is it ok for people within the same group to come and go? Is it ok to eat a meal in line? Would it be bad form for a few of us to use a FP and ride something, then switch places so the others can ride?

I personally wouldn't mind if the people around us did that (unless they ended up having individual photos with each person and the character and taking up a lot of unnecessary time) but I also realize that it might be very annoying to more people than I realize.

Everyone has a different tolerance for this stuff.

-I wouldn't mind if people left to go to the bathroom and came back. People have to go to the bathroom.

-I wouldn't mind if people left to bring back food/water. People get hungry and thirsty.

-I would mind if people left to ride rides. You want to see the character, you wait to see the character. You want to ride rides? Don't see the character.

- I would REALLY REALLY mind if there were 1 or 2 people waiting and then all of a sudden 8 of their closest friends decided to join them as the line started moving.

Everyone is different, though.

You will get a lot of varied opinions on this. But in this particular situation, I think it is fine. Someone is in line as a placeholder for the family and it is extreme to expect children to wait in a 3 hour line. If someone needs a bathroom break or just goes to get a drink and comes back, no biggie to me. A child needs a distraction because they've been in line 2 hours, fine - go for a walk and look at something. But no, groups should not be able to hold places so everyone else can still do rides and things like that.

edited as this did not come across the way I intended

Last edited:
You will get a lot of varied opinions on this. But in this particular situation, I think it is fine. Someone is in line as a placeholder for the family and it is extreme to expect children to wait in a 3 hour line. However, I would object if a large group of college kids did this and each wanted a picture. A family - yes. Other types of groups - no.

This is a perfect example about how opinions vary on this!

If one of my little kids couldn't wait in a 3 hour line (at their ages right now, I wouldn't wait 3 hours for anything with them), I would choose not to meet that character and do other things they could do or enjoy instead. If they wanted to meet the character, they'd have to wait to see the character.

If some of our party wanted to do the m&g, that would be great, but I would never expect to be able to hop in the line with them just so my kids didn't have to wait. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

Last edited:

You will get a lot of varied opinions on this. But in this particular situation, I think it is fine. Someone is in line as a placeholder for the family and it is extreme to expect children to wait in a 3 hour line. However, I would object if a large group of college kids did this and each wanted a picture. A family - yes. Other types of groups - no.
Why is it OK for a family but not a group of college kids? Disney's official if unenforced policy is no line cutting. If someone, be it part of a family or some college kids, is off having a good time riding rides elsewhere instead of waiting on a three hour long M&G line then they are cutting the line when they finally decide to show up just in time to meet the characters. Just because one person was waiting in line "holding places" for a group, any group, doesn't change the fact that the rest of their party who wasn't there waiting on line are now cutting the line they didn't wait on. It doesn't matter whether it's a family, a group of college kids or a bunch of retirees, line cutting is line cutting. I agree with MickeyWaffles. Bathroom breaks or grabbing some food & then rejoining the line are fine. Going off to ride some rides while 1 or 2 members of a party "hold places" is definitely not OK.

A huge part of going to Disney unfortunately involves standing in line for experiences. I think parents should know the limits of their children and not try to do things that are going to overly tax those limits. Standing in lines can also create opportunities for learning about patience and waiting ones turn.

ETA: Bathroom breaks and grab some food are acceptable within reason.

Why is it OK for a family but not a group of college kids? Disney's official if unenforced policy is no line cutting. If someone, be it part of a family or some college kids, is off having a good time riding rides elsewhere instead of waiting on a three hour long M&G line then they are cutting the line when they finally decide to show up just in time to meet the characters. Just because one person was waiting in line "holding places" for a group, any group, doesn't change the fact that the rest of their party who wasn't there waiting on line are now cutting the line they didn't wait on. It doesn't matter whether it's a family, a group of college kids or a bunch of retirees, line cutting is line cutting. I agree with MickeyWaffles. Bathroom breaks or grabbing some food & then rejoining the line are fine. Going off to ride some rides while 1 or 2 members of a party "hold places" is definitely not OK.
Disney's official policy might be no line cutting, but 1) they won't enforce it and 2) whether they consider holding a space in line the same as line cutting is not clear.

Everyone should do what they are comfortable doing, but the truth is in these long character lines, lots of people hold places for others and nobody says a word about it.

A huge part of going to Disney unfortunately involves standing in line for experiences. I think parents should know the limits of their children and not try to do things that are going to overly tax those limits. Standing in lines can also create opportunities for learning about patience and waiting ones turn.

ETA: Bathroom breaks and grab some food are acceptable within reason.

This. And what Mickeywaffles said. Waiting in line is part of it. If you don't want to, stay home.

I wouldn't mind the line holding for a group, buuuuuutttttt if depends what happens at picture time. At a PPO breakfast, people were waiting in line for a picture of the family in front of the castle. One large extended family had ever pose in the world done. Just the kids, just the grandparents, just the parents, kids and grandparents, kids and parents, everybody, parents and grandparent, just the boys, and then just the girls. And between every pose it was like the keystone cops.....no body knew what was going on.

We have done at character connection, kids go in (click, click , click) grandparents joined, pose, click,click, parents added, pose, click,click, grandparents leave, click and we've done. I don't think we take two mins.

I don't regularly hold spots for my family, but I wouldn't see any issue with it personally. Whether it is just myself getting a picture or my whole family getting a picture, it's the same amount of time. It doesn't impact anyone behind me despite what they might think. We don't have 18 autograph books or take multiple photos with different combinations of family members. In fact, my family is incredibly shy, so they rarely even interact with any character...we usually take about 30 seconds before we are moving on.

This is entirely different than holding spots for rides whereby each person that "cuts" is absolutely increasing your wait time.

In my opinion the only time anyone should leave a line is for an emergency bathroom break.

Other than that everyone should be waiting together in line. It's not fair the others around waiting in line for say 2 hours while others are leaving to ride rides, eat, shop, etc.. Then have to come and weave through the line to get back to their party. Nothing is more annoying than waiting in a line and having someone come up behind you that wasn't in front of you to begin with saying "excuse me, my party is up there". 99% of the time I think their lying.

Wife and I waited in a 4 hour line a few years ago for Star Wars weekend. Neither of us ever left the line which was standing only. No drink, bathroom, food breaks. Unless there's an emergency or a medical condition, the average human can wait in a 1-4 hour line without leaving

So if you plan on getting in a long line, I'd take the wait time into consideration and not leave to come back out of consideration to others around you

[QUOTE="Willlyb, post: 58225082, member: 597170" Whether it is just myself getting a picture or my whole family getting a picture, it's the same amount of time. It doesn't impact anyone behind me despite what they might think. We don't have 18 autograph books or take multiple photos with different combinations of family members. In fact, my family is incredibly shy, so they rarely even interact with any character...we usually take about 30 seconds before we are moving on.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe that is true of your family, but it is not true of all families. Many do want a pic signed for each person, so thinking there are 2 ahead of you when there really are 8 makes a difference.

Maybe that is true of your family, but it is not true of all families. Many do want a pic signed for each person, so thinking there are 2 ahead of you when there really are 8 makes a difference.

Completely understand this line of thinking, and I get annoyed as well when the situation unfolds as you mention above. However, I usually just try to chill out and realize that I'm at Disney World and that I should expect some minor instances of folks being inconsiderate.

It doesn't get me near as annoyed as when people just STOP WALKING in a walkway rather than moving to the side to figure out where they are, have a discussion, make a decision, etc.

Everyone has a different tolerance for this stuff.

-I wouldn't mind if people left to go to the bathroom and came back. People have to go to the bathroom.

-I wouldn't mind if people left to bring back food/water. People get hungry and thirsty.

-I would mind if people left to ride rides. You want to see the character, you wait to see the character. You want to ride rides? Don't see the character.

- I would REALLY REALLY mind if there were 1 or 2 people waiting and then all of a sudden 8 of their closest friends decided to join them as the line started moving.

Everyone is different, though.
This post sums up my sentiments exactly.

A few years ago when we were at the Christmas Party and in line for the Dwarfs, I left the line and came back several times while DH waited. It was a very "open" line and so I didn't have that awkward "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me" through a bunch of people.

I totally agree with this, I can understand an emergency bathroom break, but anything else I would let them know it isnt cool in a calm manner. Everyone should be prepared to wait in line when they get in the line. When we brought my young nephew, we went to the bathroom and got a snack before we got in long lines. I would NEVER ever think it was okay to have others wait while I was off enjoying a ride. You make your choices, rides or waiting in line. I dont understand why its okay for a family but not for a group of adults, what is the difference? Just think how all these children are going to be when they are adults when they didnt have to follow the rules and never had to wait patiently in line.

As long as it's an outdoor queue where they can get past the line easily, I really don't care one way or the other.
None of it impacts me or my experience with the character.
I don't find the time to vary if it's 1 family member with the character or a few. But I've never seen a case where 1 teen held a spot for 20 friends, that may change my opinion but I don't think that happens often at parties.
But if Grandma stands in line while Mom and Dad takes Susie and Bobbie to ride Small World then so what. It won't matter one bit to me and Susie and Bobbie have a happier evening, Mom and Dad are less stressed.
And I'm not annoyed by Susie and Bobbie squabbling while in line because they are bored.
Just an example.

Indoor lines seem to have a different etiquette in my mind. I do not believe it's acceptable to come/go in those cases. But the party characters (hard to meet ones) are not indoors so it's not really a case where they come to play in this situation.

Unlike a single file line where each person in line is to be accommodated individually, a line for a character meet and greet is actually a placeholder for a group, as long as that group stays together when it comes time for the greeting and photos. Much the same way a line at a restaurant would work. If you go to a restaurant that does not take reservations or hand out buzzers, one person from each group must hold the place in line. When the one person in line makes his/her way to the podium, it is time for that group to be seated and the rest of his/her group can then rejoin them and head to the table. This way, the line might have 15 people in it instead of 60. It serves no purpose for all 60 people to form the line. The line gets too big and is inefficient and I've never seen an argument that suggests that at a restaurant, every man, woman, child and grandparent must stand in line accompanying the one person who is holding their place.

The only thing that matters (although it seems that some element of human nature can't seem to adapt to this), is the number of groups and people who are legitimately ahead of you, and how much time it will take you to get to the front of the line. You can try to crunch the math all you want, but the honest truth behind all of this is that if there are 25 groups ahead of your family totaling 100 people, your wait time will be exactly the same if all 100 people must wait in line without splitting up or if only 25 placeholders are in front of you with the other 75 people close by but out of line. And if you are the 101st person in the scenario where everyone must stay in line, then you are 50-75 yards away from the front with a view of nothing. If you are the 26th person in line, you are only 15 or so yards away from the front and have a view of the action, which in and of itself is a positive. All of this works as long as groups participate in the M&G as one group. You can't have one person save the place of more than one group. And it doesn't matter if the group has two people in it or eight, or if the group is a family with kids or a group of college kids. Math is math irrespective of the demographics.

Just consider this scenario. Your family arrives at a M&G line and there are nine people in front of you. The first person in line walks back to you and says: "Just to let you know, my group has six people in it. They are right over there, and when it is my turn, they will all join me at the M&G". The second person in line walks back to you and says: "I am in line holding a place for myself and my husband. He is right over there. He will join me when it is our turn." And so on, all the way through the nine individuals who are in front of you. You do the math and count that there are 47 people in front of your family. You could do one of the following two things. You could tell the rest of your family to get out of the line and go hang out nearby. Get a drink. Go to the bathroom. Buy an Olaf stuffed doll. Whatever. Or you could stomp your foot and demand that everyone in line in front of you reassemble their groups in line, pushing your place in line 30 yards further back into who knows where. What possible purpose would be served by doing the latter? You aren't going to see the characters any sooner. You aren't changing anyone's place in line. And you are preventing the 38 people who were not in line (as well as the rest of your family) from relaxing and enjoying the next 20 minutes while they wait. And you are denying WDW some revenue that could be generated by having people spend money instead of waiting in a line. Simply put, having everyone wait in line is the height of inefficiency all the way around. And this is not anything new. When people wait in line to check in to a hotel, one person stands in line and checks in while the rest of the family hangs out in the lobby. No one insists that a four year old be made to wait in a hotel check-in line. Ever. When people go to the movies, one person gets in line to buy tickets for the whole family. Perhaps another family member gets in line to buy popcorn. There is no social injustice in not insisting the the entire family weave through the velvet ropes to buy the tickets (or wait in line to use the self-serve kiosk.) One person acting for the group is perfectly normal, acceptable, and most importantly, efficient.

As long as it's an outdoor queue where they can get past the line easily, I really don't care one way or the other.
None of it impacts me or my experience with the character.
I don't find the time to vary if it's 1 family member with the character or a few.
Exactly right. As long as the queue is outdoors where the rest of the group can easily see when their placeholder is nearing the front and can easily rejoin the placeholder without have to push past other people, this works perfectly. Indoor queues where pressing past others would be required is an entirely different story.

I don't think there's even enough space for every single person that plans to meet the character to remain in the lines in some cases. Some of those lines are in tight quarters. If some groups didn't utilize place holders those lines would grow to totally unmanageable sizes. It's almost like Disney plans for this to happen (thinking of where they put Jack Skellington, for example)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter