M&G etiquette

I've honestly never given this any thought before this thread, but that's ridiculous. So you're saying one should give up any notion whatsoever of knowing how long the line is?
Yep. Crazy huh? Since you will eventually get a chance to meet this character, you should just stand in line and not complain when one person is holding a place in the line for their 8 closest friends. And if the next person in line is only holding it for their 5 member family, you lucked out.

Yep. Crazy huh? Since you will eventually get a chance to meet this character, you should just stand in line and not complain when one person is holding a place in the line for their 8 closest friends. And if the next person in line is only holding it for their 5 member family, you lucked out.

And apparently 25 out of the 30 people in front of me are going to do this? Wow!

This is not how I meant to come across at all. I agree with most everyone on here. I think that someone holding a place for your small party (like a family - define how you will) so that small children can eat, go to the bathroom, sit on a bench, etc and not stand in a 3 hour line is ok. Like others, I don't feel that this ends up lengthening the line as you likely will take the same time with characters. The problem I would have is with a bunch of adults (or college kids as my example, or any other type of group that fits here) or those who could more easily stand in line going off and doing rides while not having to wait in line and then all want their own pictures.
Elderly parents/grandparents could go sit and then come back in line as well to see their grandchildren interact with the character. There are many people who cannot stand in a long line due to medical issues, medicine they are on, or what not. Some younger folk may just have a bad case of plantar fasciitis right before their trip. Wouldn't expect them to miss Jack Sparrow as a result! And small children get especially unruly when they are bored. I don't fault these people for not being able to stand in a line and yet still want to see a character. Those that can do the line should. Those that can't, let's give them grace. Those who take advantage, tell them no. That's all.
I think you failed to see my point.

You are deciding that for whatever reason kids=fine but anyone else=not fine. WDW is a place for everyone. To hammer more in the point I picked up on your comment of "I would object if a large group of college kids did this and each wanted a picture." If a family with multiple kids did what you described and each wanted a picture seems like you'd be ok with that but college aged kids nope, other adults nope. Perhaps it's because you seem to give off the impression that acceptability is only given to kids because they are kids. And my point is at a place like WDW age shouldn't be a discriminating factor. Not to mention it isn't only the college aged kids or the adults for that matter that go off and ride rides while someone else stays in line. I'm fairly certain there's been parents who do that for their children too.

Time to give it up I'm afraid. I am with you on this but there is a significant group that logic does not apply. Fundamentally, their view is illogical but they hang on to the notion "this is what I believe is the correct behavior and I am going to allow the behavior of those that fail to meet my definition of good behavior upset me", even though that behavior does nothing to effect their ultimate objective (the meet and greet). It's not about being in line longer to them, it's all about other people's behavior doesn't meet their standards of behavior. Maybe we should just worry about our own behavior and move on.
You have captured it perfectly. If people let other people's behavior upset them, there is no way for them to allow logic to guide their behavior.

Since you will eventually get a chance to meet this character, you should just stand in line and not complain when one person is holding a place in the line for their 8 closest friends.
Not "eventually". You will have your chance to meet the characters at exactly the same time as if all of those 8 friends had been in line, (as well as every other person), causing the line to swell to a quarter mile long. If you don't understand that, then of course none of this makes sense. Disney obviously understands the way it works and you need look no further than what they did to the "line" at the revamped Dumbo ride. Maybe we should insist that Disney scrap that concept and all go back to waiting single file in a line. After all, waiting in a line is the American way, no? I suppose someone will try to make the argument that what they did at Dumbo is different. But alas, it is not. You walk in. They ask you your group size. At that time you walk in it is estimated that your wait time is 30 minutes. They give you a marker telling you to come back in half an hour and in the meantime, you can do whatever you want. In half an hour, your group reassembles and you get on the ride. Wow! If you want, you can enter the tent, refuse to take advantage of the "go play" procedure, form your own line and then watch groups reassemble and walk past you to ride. Are you being cheated?

Last edited:
Not "eventually". You will have your chance to meet the characters at exactly the same time as if all of those 8 friends had been in line, (as well as every other person), causing the line to swell to a quarter mile long. If you don't understand that, then of course none of this makes sense. Disney obviously understands the way it works and you need look no further than what they did to the "line" at the revamped Dumbo ride. Maybe we should insist that Disney scrap that concept and all go back to waiting single file in a line. After all, waiting in a line is the American way, no?

It's not just about the wait time. It's about the perceived lack of fairness. If you choose to meet the character and sacrifice by standing in the line the whole time, you can get miffed when someone gets to have the same character meeting as you without putting the same effort in. Granted, real life is that way all the time when some with little to no effort get rewarded while those that work hard seem to struggle, but at Disney, you hate to see real life problems creep into your magic.

It's not just about the wait time. It's about the perceived lack of fairness. If you choose to meet the character and sacrifice by standing in the line the whole time, you can get miffed when someone gets to have the same character meeting as you without putting the same effort in.
But this is only true if others can avail themselves of an opportunity that is not available to you. But such is not the case. Everyone can participate in the process just as they do at Dumbo. If your group uses a placeholder, and my group uses a placeholder, and the group behind me uses a placeholder, and so on and so on all the way down the line, who is getting cheated?

We were at epcot once for evening EMH. That was when they gave bracelets for those eligible to stay. We went to get on Spaceship Earth and people without bracelets were swarming the line. CMs were just letting them go. We were not happy because we 1) took the time to get our bracelets, and 2) paid to stay at the resort to get the privilege of EMH. My husband told a CM about it and he acted all concerned like he was going to report it but I'm sure he didn't bother. Bottom line is Disney will look the other way as much as possible. Same for the line holding situation. Simply too many different scenarios. With that said, I am typically a rule follower. We were in a long line to see the nemo show at AK. The line extended down a walkway. I was so thirsty and would have love to have left my husband and son to get a drink from a cart but I didn't. I think it would have been ok but I just didn't feel right so I waited. That's just me. If someone else had done it I probably wouldn't have cared.

Not "eventually". You will have your chance to meet the characters at exactly the same time as if all of those 8 friends had been in line, (as well as every other person), causing the line to swell to a quarter mile long. If you don't understand that, then of course none of this makes sense. Disney obviously understands the way it works and you need look no further than what they did to the "line" at the revamped Dumbo ride. Maybe we should insist that Disney scrap that concept and all go back to waiting single file in a line. After all, waiting in a line is the American way, no? I suppose someone will try to make the argument that what they did at Dumbo is different. But alas, it is not. You walk in. They ask you your group size. At that time you walk in it is estimated that your wait time is 30 minutes. They give you a marker telling you to come back in half an hour and in the meantime, you can do whatever you want. In half an hour, your group reassembles and you get on the ride. Wow! If you want, you can enter the tent, refuse to take advantage of the "go play" procedure, form your own line and then watch groups reassemble and walk past you to ride. Are you being cheated?
Except for a character line, no one estimates a wait time correctly because no one has a clue how many people are actually in line.

We seem to be talking/posting about apples and oranges.

No, the wait isn't any longer if 70 people are all in line or only 10, each holding the spot for 6 others. The problem comes when some sees the line with 10, and waits. Then every couple of minutes 6 more people walk up and join the line. Now, the wait for 10 has become the wait for 16, 22, 28 and so on.

That is fine if every single person is holding a place for 6 more. And every single line works that way. Otherwise, when you get in line, you have no idea how long the wait is.

And it doesn't matter that the character will see every person in line. If, when I enter the line, I believe the wait is for 10 people and it ends up be for 30 or 40 or 50 or even, 70, I wasted my time. Time that, during a party, I paid a pretty penny for.

I think you failed to see my point.

You are deciding that for whatever reason kids=fine but anyone else=not fine. WDW is a place for everyone. To hammer more in the point I picked up on your comment of "I would object if a large group of college kids did this and each wanted a picture." If a family with multiple kids did what you described and each wanted a picture seems like you'd be ok with that but college aged kids nope, other adults nope. Perhaps it's because you seem to give off the impression that acceptability is only given to kids because they are kids. And my point is at a place like WDW age shouldn't be a discriminating factor. Not to mention it isn't only the college aged kids or the adults for that matter that go off and ride rides while someone else stays in line. I'm fairly certain there's been parents who do that for their children too.

But the fact of the matter is that age IS a discriminating factor! Would you expect a five year old to behave the same as a twenty year old while getting stitches? When approached by a stranger? When left alone in the dark? No. But suddenly in a three hour line, a kid is supposed to be able to behave and react exactly as an adult? Of course not. That is called being unreasonable. And if some people have miraculously trained their children and think they need to stand in line, well bully for them. They do not control the behavior and parenting strategies of everyone else in the park, and if they want to let other's behavior affect their own enjoyment, that is entirely their prerogative.

I would say that the same goes for the individual who has a DAS pass which is not useable during party M&Gs.

Some people will always look for a reason to be upset at someone else, even if the affects on them are minimal or non-existent. It's a weird sort of jealousy where someone else is "getting something extra" and yet that "something extra" is equally available to them, they simply choose not to avail themselves of it out of some sense of self-righteousness. I would liken it to a buffet where some people think two trips to get food is acceptable and are mad that anyone else goes up for thirds. This despite the fact that the buffet is constantly being restocked.

But this is only true if others can avail themselves of an opportunity that is not available to you. But such is not the case. Everyone can participate in the process just as they do at Dumbo. If your group uses a placeholder, and my group uses a placeholder, and the group behind me uses a placeholder, and so on and so on all the way down the line, who is getting cheated?
The person that can't use a placeholder because they are a single person.

It's about the perceived lack of fairness. If you choose

That is the point...

1) The lack of fairness is only perceived, not real
2) It is your choice to be miffed, I choose not to be miffed

Think about a waiting list at a restaurant that does not take reservations. It does not matter if the list is made up of groups of 2 or groups of 4 or more. The wait time will be the same for you, even though some are waiting in the bar, some are in the restroom, and some may be outside smoking. You still get your table at the same time even though everyone is not waiting in front of the check in podium in a single file line.

Everyone who can't tell how long the line is. Your logic holds if everyone in the line would be there regardless of how long the wait is. But there are plenty of things I would wait behind five people for that I wouldn't wait behind fifty people for. I don't think there's something inherently virtuous about waiting in line. I rather dislike it actually which is why I want some notion of how long I'll have to do it. It's like with restaurants who take down your party on the waitlist and call you when your table's ready. I think that's awesome. No one has to wait in line, yet at any moment you can get a notion of how many people are ahead of you and when you might be seated. Is that notion spot on? No, it's not. But it's never off by a factor of ten and frankly if it's off by a factor of even two the restaurant's waitlist system is broken.

I don't understand the logic of those who say it's the same wait time? Are you just figuring one group photo for each family? What if each family wants each member to have an individual photo? We haven't done character greets for a few years so I'm curious as to why it couldn't end up making the lines much longer if each child gets an alone picture?

I don't understand the logic of those who say it's the same wait time? Are you just figuring one group photo for each family? What if each family wants each member to have an individual photo? We haven't done character greets for a few years so I'm curious as to why it couldn't end up making the lines much longer if each child gets an alone picture?

Others will correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the character handlers have a responsibility to keep each group within a specific time frame. There is a maximum amount of time a group, whether 2 or 10 will be allowed at a character meet and greet.

But the fact of the matter is that age IS a discriminating factor! Would you expect a five year old to behave the same as a twenty year old while getting stitches? When approached by a stranger? When left alone in the dark? No. But suddenly in a three hour line, a kid is supposed to be able to behave and react exactly as an adult? Of course not. That is called being unreasonable. And if some people have miraculously trained their children and think they need to stand in line, well bully for them. They do not control the behavior and parenting strategies of everyone else in the park, and if they want to let other's behavior affect their own enjoyment, that is entirely their prerogative.

I would say that the same goes for the individual who has a DAS pass which is not useable during party M&Gs.

Some people will always look for a reason to be upset at someone else, even if the affects on them are minimal or non-existent. It's a weird sort of jealousy where someone else is "getting something extra" and yet that "something extra" is equally available to them, they simply choose not to avail themselves of it out of some sense of self-righteousness. I would liken it to a buffet where some people think two trips to get food is acceptable and are mad that anyone else goes up for thirds. This despite the fact that the buffet is constantly being restocked.
Hmm..we'll agree to disagree on the discriminating factor. I personally don't look at people and take it upon myself to figure out "hmm you're acceptable to be a place holder but no you you're not".

I'm a fairly healthy 29 year old. Now would I personally wait in a line for several hours for a M&G (party or no party)? Probably not at this point in my life however here's a snippet of my most recent trip:

9/8= 18,447 steps (@ Universal; was arrival day)
9/9= 21,109 steps ( @ WDW)
9/12= 30,987 steps (@ WDW)
9/13= 24,960 steps (@ WDW)
9/14= 18,698 steps (@ WDW)
9/15=21,752 steps (@ WDW)
9/16=19,818 steps (@ Universal)
9/17=20,049 steps (@ Universal)
9/18=14,220 steps (was departure day)

Because I appear to be healthy and I'm an adult I'm being judged differently than a child (according to the other poster) despite the fact that I was def. putting my feet through the ringer and have the blisters to prove it (I mean how would you know that some "younger folk got plantar fasciitis" before their trip?).

But if a family had a kid and someone acted as a placeholder somehow it's all fine and dandy because hey they're kids (and it sorta came off from the other poster like M&Gs were more meant for the kids, I guess, due to their comment about college aged kids each wanting a picture) even though no one knows the circumstances. My point was about removing the judgement and age discrimination at a place at WDW which is meant for those of all ages. There aren't age limits on M&Gs (and other aspects of lines/queues) as a rule from Disney so why put a judgemental spin on them?

And behaving is interesting to bring up.

The rest of your comments to be honest wasn't what I was talking about at least in direct relation to my response to the other poster.

Others will correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the character handlers have a responsibility to keep each group within a specific time frame. There is a maximum amount of time a group, whether 2 or 10 will be allowed at a character meet and greet.
From my understanding yes they are supposed to try and keep interactions to a certain time frame but I have heard enough stories on the DIS to see that there are times where that time frame gets stretched or where traveling parties felt rushed after groups ahead of them seemed to get a more leisurely pace through the character interaction (that does appear to be M&Gs in general not necessarily party ones).

Hmm..we'll agree to disagree on the discriminating factor. I personally don't look at people and take it upon myself to figure out "hmm you're acceptable to be a place holder but no you you're not".

I'm a fairly healthy 29 year old. Now would I personally wait in a line for several hours for a M&G (party or no party)? Probably not at this point in my life however here's a snippet of my most recent trip:

9/8= 18,447 steps (@ Universal; was arrival day)
9/9= 21,109 steps ( @ WDW)
9/12= 30,987 steps (@ WDW)
9/13= 24,960 steps (@ WDW)
9/14= 18,698 steps (@ WDW)
9/15=21,752 steps (@ WDW)
9/16=19,818 steps (@ Universal)
9/17=20,049 steps (@ Universal)
9/18=14,220 steps (was departure day)

Because I appear to be healthy and I'm an adult I'm being judged differently than a child (according to the other poster) despite the fact that I was def. putting my feet through the ringer and have the blisters to prove it (I mean how would you know that some "younger folk got plantar fasciitis" before their trip?).

But if a family had a kid and someone acted as a placeholder somehow it's all fine and dandy because hey they're kids (and it sorta came off from the other poster like M&Gs were more meant for the kids, I guess, due to their comment about college aged kids each wanting a picture) even though no one knows the circumstances. My point was about removing the judgement and age discrimination at a place at WDW which is meant for those of all ages. There aren't age limits on M&Gs (and other aspects of lines/queues) as a rule from Disney so why put a judgemental spin on them?

And behaving is interesting to bring up.

The rest of your comments to be honest wasn't what I was talking about at least in direct relation to my response to the other poster.

Exactly. I think you're missing your own point. Just remove your own judgements from the situation and not worry about what the people in front of you are doing and thread is solved.

I suppose they have a guide line but I've never seen a handler shoo a family away from a character or otherwise inform them their allotted time is over.

I think WDW should take a page out of Disneyland's "handbook" and just relax a little. I remember reading one of these threads right before we went on our honeymoon to WDW (first time visitors!) back in 2009 and getting the same feeling of dread for our vacation. Everyone is grumpy about something, someone is annoyed by everything and I'm going to have to worry about someone making a comment to me or ruining my day because they think I'm cutting in line if heaven
Change the bold to The Dis Posters and you've nailed it. WDW Offically doesn't have issues with it really. Not in my eyes at least. Some folks here, heavens yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter