Mac & Cheese for a crowd

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
I am making Mac & Cheese for a birthday party. 2 full catering trays. Would like to make ahead of time but afraid of it drying out. Any suggestions to prevent that??

Honestly, I don't think the texture or flavor of a re-heated pasta dish is ever quite right. For what you're doing I'd consider making the cheese sauce and cooking the macaroni ahead of time but not combining them in advance. (Keep the pasta on the firm side and toss it in a little oil to keep it from sticking together during storage.) Combine them and put them in the oven just before serving. Presumably you'd need to heat the whole thing up anyway so that part wouldn't take any extra time or effort.

How about baking it where it forms a crust? You know, the kind with breadcrumbs? It will be a bit dry by design at the crust, but I thought that it was supposed to lock in the moisture so that it doesn't dry out.

My experience with mac and cheese made from scratch is that the cheese tends to harden once it gets cold unless it's some sort of milk-based sauce like Velveeta.

My friend makes mac and cheese for a crowd in the crock pot.... she has a large family and has a couple giant crock pots... You could borrow a couple if you went this route... It works out pretty good, she will add in some melted Velveeta if it starts to look like it is drying out... and it seems to work... it taste pretty good...

May just make a little more cheese sauce than the recipe calls for.

There are recipes for mac & cheese? Who knew? I just wing it and it turns out well each time. lol

I like this idea FAR more than using velveeta. It would work well, I'd think, too.

LOL. Recipe is simple.
Make a rue.
Add WHOLE milk or HALF AND HALF.
Grate the SHARPEST brick cheddar cheese you can find, melt it in the rue. Real Macaroni and Cheese is not made with Velveeta
Prepare the Macaroni.
Bake.

Here’s what I do:
Make cheese sauce- your preference. I make mine like TV guy does.
Cook pasta slightly undercooked.
Combine, cover and refrigerate.
When ready to serve:
Take out of refrigerator and let come to room temp.
Bake covered until hot.
Uncover and add buttered bread crumbs.
Bake till golden.

I’ve never had a problem doing it this way.

LOL. Recipe is simple.
Make a rue.
Grate the SHARPEST brick cheddar cheese you can find, melt it in the rue. Real Macaroni and Cheese is not made with Velveeta
Prepare the Macaroni.
Bake.
I was kidding about a recipe.

This is how I make it. There are no specific quantities of anything used. Always turns out tasting good. The only thing different is that I put seasoned breadcrumbs on top before I bake it.

I was kidding about a recipe.

This is how I make it. There are no specific quantities of anything used. Always turns out tasting good. The only thing different is that I put seasoned breadcrumbs on top before I bake it.
I put more shredded cheddar on top.

You can get the consistency and texture right again by adding some milk and then reheating. Not a ton, just stir in some until it gets nice and creamy again.

Do you have a smoker? If so, I have an amazing recipe for smoked mac and cheese. It does take two hours to smoke, but all you have to do is throw everything in the pans, throw them on the smoker, stir every 15-20 minutes, and it's done. You do not have to cook the noodles before hand.

I make the roux, add the cheeses I want, add salt and pepper, mustard powder, hot sauce, then pour over the noodles and bake. I add more half and half/cream at the end, top with more cheese and broil.

I make a little extra sauce. Combine with pasta but I don’t bake it until we are ready to eat it. Keep it tightly sealed before baking

Do you mean a roux

LOL. Recipe is simple.
Make a rue.
Prepare the Macaroni.
Bake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter