Madonna sued for late concert times

Seems like a ridiculous thing to sue about. Next will they claim tickets are too expensive? LOL. It gets to be a game with people showing up later knowing the main act won't start right at the beginning. Then the performer starts later since they don't want anyone else arriving once they take the stage.
:sad2: For Pete's sake, what difference could it possibly make at an arena show with thousands of people and none of them sitting in their seats anyway? I'm not a concert-goer but I find this kind of humorous because as these diva artists age (and Cher and Madonna are themselves senior citizens now) they should be at least slightly in touch with the fact that their fan base has aged too and sensibilities change. Performing a show for a bunch of grumpy old people who are no longer accustomed to pulling all-nighters should require the artist to adapt.

In another article I read that Madonna's "let them eat cake" response was "A Queen is never late." I think she stole that from Julie Andrews' character in the Princess Diaries.

:sad2: For Pete's sake, what difference could it possibly make at an arena show with thousands of people and none of them sitting in their seats anyway? I'm not a concert-goer but I find this kind of humorous because as these diva artists age (and Cher and Madonna are themselves senior citizens now) they should be at least slightly in touch with the fact that their fan base has aged too and sensibilities change. Performing a show for a bunch of grumpy old people who are no longer accustomed to pulling all-nighters should require the artist to adapt.

I got curious and looked it up. This tour is booked only for smallish theaters. It’s also a lot of shows in the same place, like 10 in LA, 3 in Philly, and 7 in Miami Beach. Here’s the Fillmore Miami Beach:

fillmoremiamibeach.venueimage3.jpg

If these geezers were really in touch with their fan base the shows would now start at 4:30 pm, just like the senior's dinner specials at Denny's! :rotfl2:

I never went, but I remember back in the 70's, some top rock bands like the Rolling Stones actually had a few double header shows. Such as a 3 pm matinee and 9 pm evening show.

Last time we saw Britney Spears she actually had a clock on the video board with the time she would be on stage and it was pretty accurate within a few minutes.

Usually when we go to a concert we will ask a security guy what the schedule is and they usually have the times that are pretty accurate, not sure if it applies to Madonna

You guys are making me very VERY glad I mostly see underground artists. The last one I saw the concert was 20$ and the VIP experience was 50$ so I got to play board games with the band and beer pong with the singer. XD

The most I'd ever paid for a show was 100$ a ticket but that was fifth row to Nick Cave. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, (maybe even his VIP package if he does one) but hubs looked at Iron Maiden tickets this past summer and it was 300$ for the lawn seats so we both just said NOPE.

I'd be pissed too if the artist appeared hours late. Especially since you need to check your cell phones. How does that work? It must be a hassle with 10,000+ fans trying to reclaim them after the show.

She isn't the first one to have started it. Comedian, Dave Chappelle, started it back in 2016. Once it was established that it worked for him, some others followed afterward. People check their cell phones into numbered pouches and get a ticket stub that they turn in at the end of the event, just like people do at coat check. If one needs to look at their phone earlier, they hand in their ticket stub, get their phone back. Then before re-entering the concert/performance, they check the phone again. I would think there are different booths to check the phones, near all the different entrances to the seats.

That stinks since it sounds like this has been ongoing. She was known for professionalism and terrific shows. Even as she watered down her own dance moves (understandable), she still put on a good show. I remember reading somewhere that her ex-husband, Guy Ritchie, said that Madonna told him she was having trouble keeping up with the younger dancers in the show. Ritchie said "maybe you should stop trying to do that". Madge didn't it take it that well.

Is Cher appearing at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly in December? Maybe I should go too. Never saw her before.

I saw Madonna twice, in 1990 (Blonde Ambition) and 1993 (Girlie Show). As far as I remember, both shows started "on time," about 30 to 45 minutes after the opening act was finished. But then I lost interest in her music by the mid 1990's.

I'd be pissed too if the artist appeared hours late. Especially since you need to check your cell phones. How does that work? It must be a hassle with 10,000+ fans trying to reclaim them after the show.

Yes. Cher will be at the Core States-First Union-Wachovia-Wells Fargo Center on December 6.

A little late, like 15/30 minutes, OK, cut the performers some slack. Hours late then yes I hope this person gets their money back and some punitive damages, this just shows no respect for their fans/customers.

Even as she watered down her own dance moves (understandable), she still put on a good show. I remember reading somewhere that her ex-husband, Guy Ritchie, said that Madonna told him she was having trouble keeping up with the younger dancers in the show. Ritchie said "maybe you should stop trying to do that". Madge didn't it take it that well.

Meh, there's a different standard for the male performers. Mick Jagger had reportedly slowed down in his movements even before his heart operation. Paul McCartney is missing 3 other Beatles & his wife onstage with him. Yet, he's still successfully out there and no one expects him to perform at the same level. The Beach Boys had made a comeback a couple decades ago, after a long time away, and I, personally thought it was a bit creepy that nearly 50 year old guys were singing about young, 20-ish "California Girls." :scared: But, their fans who grew up with them still loved them.

Meanwhile, for female stars: Tina Turner had said in an Oprah interview that she was retiring after her blood pressure meds made her gain weight, and she no longer had the energy to do the level of energetic performance her fans would expect of her. She showed up for the premiere of the Broadway show about her, a couple nights ago, came on stage, talked for a minute and didn't sing at all. :(

Cher, as a PP joked, is on her 8th(?) Farewell Tour, as a woman her age isn't expected to still be out there - and in the skimpy outfits she's able to pull off. So, she keeps performing and "retiring." (Although she finally didn't call this one that. Supposedly, after she saw the Broadway show of her life and the successful reaction it has been getting, she wanted to do her own songs again. If people want to see her - or the other "her" on Broadway, she's going to perform.)

So, throwing shade at Madonna for aging & slowing down? What other female performers her age are still out there with NEW rock/pop songs? Aging is a ***** for everyone.

Many
other singers & bands are late performing their shows. TMZ mentions it once in a while. Madonna is news this time because someone's trying to sue her. :rolleyes: (I'm not saying she should be late. Just that she's not the only one.)

It seems really arrogant of performers who do this regularly.

I don't ever recall being at a show that started obnoxiously late. I was at a show at a small theater a couple of weeks ago and the performer was pretty prompt, which was appreciated as it was a work night, lol.

I haven't followed this story very closely but maybe someone suing will make Madonna take notice? Er, probably not, on second thought. She is a diva.

I was actually surprised how reasonable some of the Cher tickets were. They're in the second level of the arena, 6th row of about 16. The cheapest nosebleed seats were $67.50. (All prices before fees.) There were still some in the lower level in the $200 to $300 range, plus various VIP packages starting about $500.

The $115 seats will be fine. It's not like it's a lifelong dream to see her, and I'm sure there will be video screens to see closeups.
And BTW, I saw both Madonna (1993) and Cher (2016). Loved both concerts. Both ladies can put on a spectacular show. But if I could only chose to see one again, Cher for the win.
Is Cher appearing at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly in December? Maybe I should go too. Never saw her before.

Hmm, :scratchin There are decent tickets still for Cher in NYC, for her second night at under $200 before fees. And overall, Madison Square Garden is a smallish venue. I'll have to think about this.

Whereas, Celine Dion is at a much bigger venue in Brooklyn. I haven't been there yet to know the size. For me, she's only worth seeing if I could have gotten decent seats at a decent price. Decent meaning: not a good portion of my rent money. :badpc: If I can only see her via a large screen, I'd rather sit home and watch a recording of one of her live concerts. Now I wish I has seen her in Vegas. For $600, I probably could have flown out there, seen her show, and have done other stuff while in Vegas for vacation. :( Anyone know how much her Vegas show was?

Last edited:
Hmm, :scratchin There are decent tickets still for Cher in NYC, for her second night at under $200 before fees. And overall, Madison Square Garden is a smallish venue. I'll have to think about this.

Whereas, Celine Dion is at a much bigger venue in Brooklyn. I haven't been there yet to know the size. For me, she's only worth seeing if I could have gotten decent seats at a decent price. Decent meaning: not a good portion of my rent money. :badpc: If I can only see her via a large screen, I'd rather sit home and watch a recording of one of her live concerts. Now I wish I has seen her in Vegas. For $600, I probably could have flown out there, seen her show, and have done other stuff while in Vegas for vacation. :( Anyone know how much her Vegas show was?

Being a sports and facilities nut, I'm pretty sure that Barclays Center is smaller than MSG. A lot of these newer arenas were intentionally built smaller to make them more "intimate".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!