Madonna sued for late concert times

Barclays Center in Brooklyn in indeed smaller than Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. Probably by about 2000 seats.

I looked it up For basketball, MSG seats 19,812, and Barclays Center has a capacity of 17,732. Concert capacity will obviously be lower because even with floor seats for concerts a large portion of the permanent seating area is blocked off.

Hmm, :scratchin There are decent tickets still for Cher in NYC, for her second night at under $200 before fees. And overall, Madison Square Garden is a smallish venue. I'll have to think about this.

Whereas, Celine Dion is at a much bigger venue in Brooklyn. I haven't been there yet to know the size. For me, she's only worth seeing if I could have gotten decent seats at a decent price. Decent meaning: not a good portion of my rent money. :badpc: If I can only see her via a large screen, I'd rather sit home and watch a recording of one of her live concerts. Now I wish I has seen her in Vegas. For $600, I probably could have flown out there, seen her show, and have done other stuff while in Vegas for vacation. :( Anyone know how much her Vegas show was?

I saw her in Vegas. I thought it was 2016, it was actually 2017 right at the start of her residency at Park Theater. We were lucky enough to get tickets that were fabulous (first row, left of center) and not part of the VIP experience that takes the tickets to insane prices. We paid around $270 for them if I am not mistaken, but we did get AMEX presale. At the end of the show people in the closest seats (including us) ran up to the front of the stage to touch hands with her as she left the stage. My sister got lucky. I, unfortunately, was too short and Cher couldn't reach my hand. lol. Oh well. Still had a blast! And watching my sister gloat about it was hysterical.

Barclays Center in Brooklyn in indeed smaller than Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. Probably by about 2000 seats.

I looked it up For basketball, MSG seats 19,812, and Barclays Center has a capacity of 17,732. Concert capacity will obviously be lower because even with floor seats for concerts a large portion of the permanent seating area is blocked off.

Arena setups can be really bad. Barclays Center has a really small floor space that was meant for basketball, and their hockey setup has sections that aren't used because of the visibility. Not sure if the concert setup suffers. Not quite sure why they went for lower capacity, but a lot of the new arenas aren't going for the biggest size. Cher is playing at the Chase Center in San Francisco, and it's a lower capacity than the former Oracle Arena in Oakland that's it's replacing as the home of the Warriors.

But it's not as small as the places that Madonna is playing on this tour. Those are dedicated theaters where the furthest seat is still pretty close. Arenas/stadiums generally have odd sightlines for concerts and the acoustics can be really bad.

But when I heard something about late concert times, I was thinking something like the curfew violations I remember at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. U2 went way over the 10 PM weekday concert curfew and got fined. There were a few acts that decided against it because they didn't want to deal with the curfew.

Thanks for everyone's input. I Googled, MSG has more seats, while Barclay's seats are roomier, so there is less. Yet, they also say ALL the seats are closer as the pitch/angle of the rows is steeper. A 20th row seat at Barclays is about the same as a 40th row at MSG. The one time I walked by it outside. It seemed so much larger. But, maybe that's just the food courts along the outer perimeter. So I assumed it was bigger seat-wise.

And I found this website: aviewfrommyseat.com where people in the audience have posted their exact seats & the view from their seats. There are still a few pairs of seats in the $250 - $300 range that are really GOOD! :hyper:

This is the view of one section I am looking at. According to the pic, all the way at the far end is a rather good view.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/95744/Barclays+Center/

So, Celine is back on the table!

NOW, would you choose Celine or Cher? :scratchin

I'm thinking, how many farewell tours is Cher going to do? :confused3 Whereas, Celine probably still has a decade or so, where I can still see her and her voice will hold out. On the other hand, Celine's concerts might not be of this quality later on. These are her first concerts since leaving Vegas. And her first ones alone since Rene died. So she might be putting her all into them to prove she's strong and courageous enough. (Which is the name of her tour: Courage.) And I could be missing out on a really great concert. :scratchin

Last edited:

Arena setups can be really bad. Barclays Center has a really small floor space that was meant for basketball, and their hockey setup has sections that aren't used because of the visibility. Not sure if the concert setup suffers. Not quite sure why they went for lower capacity, but a lot of the new arenas aren't going for the biggest size. Cher is playing at the Chase Center in San Francisco, and it's a lower capacity than the former Oracle Arena in Oakland that's it's replacing as the home of the Warriors.

But it's not as small as the places that Madonna is playing on this tour. Those are dedicated theaters where the furthest seat is still pretty close. Arenas/stadiums generally have odd sightlines for concerts and the acoustics can be really bad.

But when I heard something about late concert times, I was thinking something like the curfew violations I remember at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. U2 went way over the 10 PM weekday concert curfew and got fined. There were a few acts that decided against it because they didn't want to deal with the curfew.

I was really surprised that the NY Islanders moved to the Barclays Center knowing it was awkward for hockey. It was the same situation when the Arizona Coyotes first moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix and used an arena meant primarily for basketball. Eventually the Coyotes moved to a proper arena in suburban Glendale. The Islanders are currently splitting their home games between Barclays and their old arena on Long Island until their new playpen in built.

For concerts that start late and finish past a certain allotted time, the promoter may be liable for the extra costs incurred by the venue.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I personally think it's extremely rude for them to be late to their own show. I don't care if it's a saturday night or wednesday night with work the next day. No one wants to stand around wasting 2 hours of their time- could've gotten chores completed, homework done, get a head start on next day's work. As the saying goes- time is money. And if you're going to be wasting my time, i should be compensated for it. I don't mind if it's a half hour late, or it's a legitimate reason (plane issues, theatre issues, etc). But for someone like Madonna who has been doing this consistently...just start your show later! Don't tell lie to people saying it'll start at a certain time when you know you'll just come whenever you feel like it.

Fixed it for ya :) especially with Adam Levine Lambert as their frontman

Whoops! I definitely wouldn't want to see Adam Levine doing Queen songs for ANY price. :lmao:He was an absolute snooze fest during the Superbowl. Not to mention, he just doesn't have the vocal chops of Freddie or Adam Lambert.

So, Celine is back on the table!

NOW, would you choose Celine or Cher?
Cher. Older, more iconic.

Now, we are discussing seeing BOTH women! :woohoo:After doing some research, it turns out, Ticketmaster does something called, "Official Platinum" pricing, where the price of some of the best seats go up or down, according to demand. So, when I looked at the tickets the first day they were released, the prices were way up. Now, the majority are gone, but there are pockets of seats in the areas we want and the price is down - for both women. :yay:

DW persuaded me to buy tickets to see Cher in December. That's her Christmas present. Fairly good seats for $115 each.

Thanks for listing the price of your ticket. It's what made me go back and see if I could find any tickets at a reasonable price. Cher is coming in at about $200 before fees and Celine at $250. Which is approximately what we had originally hoped to spend for one concert. :thumbsup2 It's unexpectedly paying for both sets of tickets around the same time that is now the problem. :headache:

I bought Cher tickets for Philly in December for $137 (plus $24 per ticket fee!!! $7 order processing fee, and even a $4.50 print at home fee!) There was no option for tickets loaded to a device. Second from last row in the lower level, where center ice would be for hockey. The back of the next section over closer to the stage is $167 plus $29 fee. Two section over, closet to stage, is $222 plus $38 fee.

I bought Cher tickets for Philly in December for $137 (plus $24 per ticket fee!!! $7 order processing fee, and even a $4.50 print at home fee!) There was no option for tickets loaded to a device. Second from last row in the lower level, where center ice would be for hockey. The back of the next section over closer to the stage is $167 plus $29 fee. Two section over, closet to stage, is $222 plus $38 fee.

DW wanted physical tickets by mail to save as souvenirs. I think the fee was $6.50.

My second level tix had about an $18 fee each, which I think is high. The fees you mention for the lower level are ridiculous. I'm used to about a $10 fee for hockey and baseball tickets from Tickertmaster.

Whoops! I definitely wouldn't want to see Adam Levine doing Queen songs for ANY price. :lmao:He was an absolute snooze fest during the Superbowl. Not to mention, he just doesn't have the vocal chops of Freddie or Adam Lambert.

Now, we are discussing seeing BOTH women! :woohoo:After doing some research, it turns out, Ticketmaster does something called, "Official Platinum" pricing, where the price of some of the best seats go up or down, according to demand. So, when I looked at the tickets the first day they were released, the prices were way up. Now, the majority are gone, but there are pockets of seats in the areas we want and the price is down - for both women. :yay:

Thanks for listing the price of your ticket. It's what made me go back and see if I could find any tickets at a reasonable price. Cher is coming in at about $200 before fees and Celine at $250. Which is approximately what we had originally hoped to spend for one concert. :thumbsup2 It's unexpectedly paying for both sets of tickets around the same time that is now the problem. :headache:
I ordered tickets yesterday for Michael Bublé and saw some of the "Official Platinum" pricing... :scared::faint:

That's the first time I've run across different prices being labeled differently. I assume it has something to do with psychology....you're paying this super high price, but you're getting THE OFFICIAL PLATINUM TICKET!!!

I wouldn't cross the street to see Madonna, even if it was free. One of the best concerts I've ever attended was The Eagles, probably about 5 or 6 years ago. I think abut a year or so before Glenn Frey died. Start time was 8 PM and the first notes were played by 8:01. I was so impressed.

I ordered tickets yesterday for Michael Bublé and saw some of the "Official Platinum" pricing... :scared::faint:

That's the first time I've run across different prices being labeled differently. I assume it has something to do with psychology....you're paying this super high price, but you're getting THE OFFICIAL PLATINUM TICKET!!!

We got tickets for Cher at a great price. I swear, those seats weren't even available the first time I checked. Maybe they were in someone else's cart at the time I was looking? :confused3 But, they turned out to be center section, one level up and were even cheaper than the ones we were looking at along the side. :woohoo:

We are still debating on which Celine Dion tickets to get. And I've found that the price really does change per day. :badpc: The first time I looked, I thought it was odd that her Sat night concert was cheaper than her other days. :confused: I really don't want Sat night as that's when more people are out, in general, and the subways are always rerouted for construction, so there are massive delays on weekends.

There are still plenty of seats in the areas we want. So, I went back the next morning, and Ticketmaster raised the price of the 2 seats were were looking at for Sat night, as well as all the sections. Instead, her third date had the best selection.

We are squabbling and debating whether to sit along the side, one level up, rather close to Celine, but may see her mostly from the side, or again get tickets in the center, same level. I went back several hours later, and her first night, instead, has all cheaper tickets. :headache: It had seemed mostly sold out in the prices we wanted the first 2 times I had checked. AND they released new seats in a whole section that wasn't available before. I think those seats were formerly VIP and Chase Preferred Seating, now general admission.

Apparently, "Official Platinum" pricing is "randomly" changing the prices to fill in all the seats for all the shows. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how many concerts I missed seeing because I knew I didn't get seats when they were first released at the box office, and I thought there would only be scalper tickets available. Now, I'm seeing Ticketmaster is randomly dropping and raising prices on different days, (NOT resale ticket,) and I probably could have afforded decent seats after all, for concerts not sold out, had I checked weeks after they had become available. :badpc:

Last edited:
Saw Cher in Philly last night. Great show. Nile Rodgers and Chic were the opening act and they played for about 50 minutes, longer than I expected. They were good too. Cher appeared about 9:40 pm, about 45 minutes after Chic ended, and played until about 11:15 pm.

My photos turned out crappy so here's one from an online review.

Saw Cher in Philly last night. Great show. Nile Rodgers and Chic were the opening act and they played for about 50 minutes, longer than I expected. They were good too. Cher appeared about 9:40 pm, about 45 minutes after Chic ended, and played until about 11:15 pm.

My photos turned out crappy so here's one from an online review.

View attachment 457319

I saw Cher on Wed at MSG. We had great seats. I'm so happy I got to see her live. When she sang, "If I Could Turn Back Time," I thought she doesn't have to worry about it. She's still got it. :thumbsup2 She didn't phone in her performance.

The majority of my pics came out bad too, as people were stomping & tapping their foot on the platform our seats were on. So most of my pics are blurry from the vibration. I did get a decent pic of her in her thong, though. Still able to rock one at age 73. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I saw Cher on Wed at MSG. We had great seats. I'm so happy I got to see her live. When she sang, "If I Could Turn Back Time," I thought she doesn't have to worry about it. She's still got it. :thumbsup2 She didn't phone in her performance.

The majority of my pics came out bad too, as people were stomping & tapping their foot on the platform our seats were on. So most of my pics are blurry from the vibration. I did get a decent pic of her in her thong, though. Still able to rock one at age 73. :thumbsup2

Did Cher provide a 10 minute flashback monologue about turning 40 and appearing on the David Letterman show? I'm wondering if she gives the same speech at every show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter