Magic band icon autopsy

Jacquaman

Earning My Ears
Good evening, DISers!
We are looking forward to our first trip to WDW using magic bands. However, I hate things on my wrists. And something attached to my belt seems to much like the office.

Does anyone have an inoperative icon that I use as a test subject? I’ve got idea for a new holder, but I’ll need to sacrifice an icon to the cause.

I’ll gladly pick up the shipping

I just can’t part with any of mine since I’ve decorated them...but please post your findings here! Will be cool to see and hear how it works out.

I’ve seen the Keeper and the Sliders. Still not quite there. Both suffer from the design of the Icon itself. If I can get to the components inside, maybe I can alter the package for my needs.

You mean like cut open the puck and re engineer it? I've seen tear downs of the old version but not the new version. Been looking around and can't find one.

For the old style it was more like a dissection vs a tear down where you could put it back together.

Also wondering how you would could improve on the new thin puck design.

Last edited:
Also if you show up at a reader with something that literally looks hacked together I wonder if you may get a visit from security thinking you created something to maybe clone someone else's band. ;)

You mean like cut open the puck and re engineer it? I've seen tear downs of the old version but not the new version. Been looking around and can't find one.

For the old style it was more like a dissection vs a tear down where you could put it back together.

Also wondering how you would could improve on the new thin puck design.
Yes, exactly that.
Anything can be improved. ;)
I’m just looking for a different form factor. I don’t like watches, bracelets, necklaces, earrings and this like on my person. I barely tolerate my glasses.

Also if you show up at a reader with something that literally looks hacked together I wonder if you may get a visit from security thinking you created something to maybe clone someone else's band. ;)
I might. But a check on the transaction will confirm it’s a match.

What everitis it won’t have a pile of loose wire and IC cards hanging out. That’s suspicious looking 10 for 10.

Yes, exactly that.
Anything can be improved. ;)
I’m just looking for a different form factor. I don’t like watches, bracelets, necklaces, earrings and this like on my person. I barely tolerate my glasses.
I might. But a check on the transaction will confirm it’s a match.

What everitis it won’t have a pile of loose wire and IC cards hanging out. That’s suspicious looking 10 for 10.

So not this? :)

452bf208bf901322968557227b8f6efe.jpg

But even if the transaction goes through it still doesn't mean you didn't hack the system and clone a puck. :rolleyes1

So here are the guts of one I bought on eBay. It took some doing to get open as the case is stout and molded in place.

So it’s the battery that takes up the most space. And that’s soldered in place. It is conceivable that it could be replaced with a smaller batter that won’t last as long. Then it could be reduced from the size of 4 quarters to maybe just over two. The diameter is fixed by the looping antenna at the edge of the board.

So it could be made smaller with a different battery and thinner case.

I still don’t have any alternative carry/presentation method that avoids wrist bands.

Attachments

• 609B5846-1AAB-4B41-88E5-FD759FEEA19D.jpeg
    609B5846-1AAB-4B41-88E5-FD759FEEA19D.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1B077FA4-6120-4038-9AD6-6C86A7702EF2.jpeg
    1B077FA4-6120-4038-9AD6-6C86A7702EF2.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter