Magic Band "Unlink" Question

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
I don't think it is possible but I am wondering if a magic band can be unlinked from one user and linked to another?
Our under 3yo gets one but they don't use them so I was wondering if I can use it instead by linking it to my username instead of hers.

I had a google but came up with not much info, thought I'd ask here.
Seems silly that you can't share them around with family.

Nope. The ones that come with your resort stay will already be attached to the people on your resort stay via MDE. Once attached to a person they can never be reassigned.

You cannot reassign MBs but you can switch the puck out from one band to another. My daughter purchased a limited edition MB in the park this past April. She didn’t want to deal with registering a new MB, so she got a CM in one of the stores to swap out the puck from her purple MB with the yellow one that was in the new MB.

You cannot reassign MBs but you can switch the puck out from one band to another. My daughter purchased a limited edition MB in the park this past April. She didn’t want to deal with registering a new MB, so she got a CM in one of the stores to swap out the puck from her purple MB with the yellow one that was in the new MB.

Ok thanks, that’s interesting
I’m sure I can do that myself

OP, I don't thinik that would solve your problem. The identifying information stays with the "puck" part of the Magic Band. Marionnette's daughter wanted to walk around with a different "bracelet" (for lack of a better word) part of the Magic Band. She had her old puck taken out and put into the new bracelet.

If you remove the puck from your three-year-old's Magic Band, that puck will still contain the identifying information for the three-year-old. So, for example, you couldn't use that puck to make Fastpasses if no park admission ticket is linked to your three-year-old in My Disney Experience. If you put that puck in a new bracelet and you wear it, the My Disney Experience system will think you are the three-year-old.

I believe you could use the puck, in its existing bracelet or a different bracelet, to open the door to your room if the three-year-old is on your hotel resie.

OP, I don't thinik that would solve your problem. The identifying information stays with the "puck" part of the Magic Band. Marionnette's daughter wanted to walk around with a different "bracelet" (for lack of a better word) part of the Magic Band. She had her old puck taken out and put into the new bracelet.

If you remove the puck from your three-year-old's Magic Band, that puck will still contain the identifying information for the three-year-old. So, for example, you couldn't use that puck to make Fastpasses if no park admission ticket is linked to your three-year-old in My Disney Experience. If you put that puck in a new bracelet and you wear it, the My Disney Experience system will think you are the three-year-old.

I believe you could use the puck, in its existing bracelet or a different bracelet, to open the door to your room if the three-year-old is on your hotel resie.
This is true. I was responding to the PP’s question about the MBs purchased in the parks. Those pucks are unassigned. The free MBs that come from making a hotel reservation are pre-assigned and, as I stated, cannot be reassigned to another person.

Just an FYI for the future - it’s really simple to register a new magic band, it takes about 30 seconds to do it in the MDE app or through the website! Probably less time than it takes to swap out pucks!

Just an FYI for the future - it’s really simple to register a new magic band, it takes about 30 seconds to do it in the MDE app or through the website! Probably less time than it takes to swap out pucks!
Yes. I’m aware of how to do this. She didn’t want to take that route because she really didn’t want multiple MBs in her MDE.

Yes. I’m aware of how to do this. She didn’t want to take that route because she really didn’t want multiple MBs in her MDE.
If it wasn't in her MDE, she wouldn't have been able to use it for anything, because MDE didn't know any of her info.

If it wasn't in her MDE, she wouldn't have been able to use it for anything, because MDE didn't know any of her info.
Let me ‘splain.

She had a purple MB. A MB that she got *free* with her resort stay. It was already linked to her in MDE.

She purchased a limited edition MB while in the parks. That MB’s puck was not registered to anyone.

She had the purple puck from the *free* MB removed from that band and replaced the yellow, unregistered puck in the limited edition MB with the purple puck that is registered to her in MDE.

She could then wear the limited edition band and use it for her own purposes.

The yellow puck from the limited edition MB remains unregistered. Anyone could use it by registering it in their own MDE.

Our under 3yo gets one but they don't use them so I was wondering if I can use it instead by linking it to my username instead of hers.

If you just want to use her bracelet part of the band then changing the puck out will be just fine.

But are you sure the 2 year old doesn’t want to wear one? Plenty of little kids do wear them and want to wear them.

If you just want to use her bracelet part of the band then changing the puck out will be just fine.

But are you sure the 2 year old doesn’t want to wear one? Plenty of little kids do wear them and want to wear them.
She’s 10 months old not 2, so I’m sure she won’t want it LOL
I was more thinking of this as being a way of getting the cheaper $10
Bands. I can put my puck into her band.

Question ??? If you have Magic Bands that are active you can use them on any trip? Is That right?

Question ??? If you have Magic Bands that are active you can use them on any trip? Is That right?
Yes

It will work for short range stuff (tickets/door entry/FP). The long range stuff, the battery might be dead if it's older than a couple years.

Ok Thank You
And just for specificity, you can use one of your old ones. You can't bring an old one of yours to give to cousin billy or whomever might not have one.

Specificity probably unnecessary, but I've seen a lot of strange things over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!