Magic band upgrade FRUSTRATING

I have found they go up at :43 every hour, and I had an easier time on the computer than my phone. Also helped that we got plain for the kids to decorate themselves, and my husband just wanted the Galaxy’s Edge that always seems to be available right now. Mine was the only one I really had to go crazy for but I did just grab my first choice (Dole Whip), woohoo! Good luck everyone!

I can finally tap out! I was finally able to order the Minnie Dots MagicBand and the Mickey Americana MagicBand. Not our first choices, but we liked them enough to call it quits with the annoying game. Good luck to everyone trying!

Finally got DH his AP band after 5 months of trying. It's the pirates one. It shouldn't be this difficult. Sigh.

I have found they go up at :43 every hour, and I had an easier time on the computer than my phone.
Funny you say that because yesterday I was on at :37 and couldn't get anything. Then I went on again at :43, choices had changed, but I still couldn't get anything I tried for. I was thinking, 'how many minutes could these have been up for?' Apparently, zero! There must be a lot of glitches in their ordering process because I don't think it works for most people no matter when they try.

ps it didn't change today

Last edited:
I have found they go up at :43 every hour, and I had an easier time on the computer than my phone. Also helped that we got plain for the kids to decorate themselves, and my husband just wanted the Galaxy’s Edge that always seems to be available right now. Mine was the only one I really had to go crazy for but I did just grab my first choice (Dole Whip), woohoo! Good luck everyone!
Thanks for the tip. I happened to remember you said this in the middle of the night last night (12:48) so I checked and up popped a Toy Story 4 band that my 19 yr old daughter loved...when I ran to show it to her in the middle of the night! :rotfl: snagged it and was able to checkout! The insanity we go through just for a MB cracks me up!

Funny you say that because yesterday I was on at :37 and couldn't get anything. Then I went on again at :43, choices had changed, but I still couldn't get anything I tried for. I was thinking, 'how many minutes could these have been up for?' Apparently, zero! There must be a lot of glitches in their ordering process because I don't think it works for most people no matter when they try.

ps it didn't change today

Yes they seem to sell extremely quick after they go up. It took me several hours logging on every hour until I eventually got mine. It’s insanity! I feel like Disney has got to be able to figure out a better system for this. Lol

Thanks for the tip. I happened to remember you said this in the middle of the night last night (12:48) so I checked and up popped a Toy Story 4 band that my 19 yr old daughter loved...when I ran to show it to her in the middle of the night! :rotfl: snagged it and was able to checkout! The insanity we go through just for a MB cracks me up!

Yay! I’m glad I could help! I started looking at it like a game and I was determined to win. Lol! After I figured out exactly what time they went up, I was logging on at :40 every hour and kept refreshing until they changed and eventually grabbed the one I wanted. Haha! Craziness! Disney has got to figure out something better.

Yay! I’m glad I could help! I started looking at it like a game and I was determined to win. Lol! After I figured out exactly what time they went up, I was logging on at :40 every hour and kept refreshing until they changed and eventually grabbed the one I wanted. Haha! Craziness! Disney has got to figure out something better.
Lol, it was definitely like a game! I'm almost bummed now that I can't check anymore!

Last edited:
Well, I’m super close to giving up but there are a few days left before our order has to be finalized. Yesterday, the cutest Minnie Style band came up and it was out of stock. Early this morning, the elusive Mickey Birthday band appeared and it was out of stock. This is exhausting!

I was ready to give up but nabbed a Toy Story 4 band for myself and Pirates for DH. Done and done! Now I'm not sure what to do with my free time. LOL.

The most annoying part is not being able to check out when the bands are displayed as available and continue to be displayed as available after the error occurs. I'm just trying to get the Galaxy's Edge band for my husband and son, and I'll take whatever at this point. I was going to do the Minnie dots one, but I got an error with that option at checkout. Now that one's gone, so I tried the Dory one, same thing happened, but it's still showing as available. I don't know what to do. I'm starting to hate Disney more and more for not being able to have decent IT systems. Inventory and checkout are such basic things that every business does. It's not hard to have a system that can do it correctly.

First, I am not sure how the “upgrade” works.
are these upgrade band cheaper than just buying one at the park?
are these upgrades different images than what you can buy?
I guess I don’t see why everyone is so crazy for them and imo wasting so much time trying to get them???

that said, is it possible having them sold out all the time and hard to get is a marketing ploy?
it has everyone talking and creating buzz.
if these are available at the park, I can see that as exactly why they are hard to get online.

EDIT so I googled and see the bands are a discount.
i think it’s 100% marketing that they are sold out so fast and all the time.
think about it this way, you have a family of four and secure two upgrades at the discount. Most if not all will end up paying full price for the other two vs have a sad child and/or listening to them ask over and over why sissy got one they they didn’t

Last edited:
So I’m one of the people that spent way too much time, unsuccessfully, trying to upgrade our bands. Won’t be spending any money on a band when I arrive. Faulty marketing plan, if you’re correct, IMHO. Just think it’s very poorly executed by IT. Liked the idea of getting a cute band for my sister and I but not going to be wasteful and buy another band and not use the one I’ll get on arrival. Also not going to waste any time on arrival buying and then getting it activated. Very poor taste in my mouth about all of this and so your theory on marketing just doesn’t make sense to me.

I liked it a lot better when they just had the solid color choices. It was stress free. I’ve looked no less than 50 times for the “right” combination of magic bands to appear (Haunted Mansion wallpaper and Minnie dots) and I’ve been foiled every time. I’m close to just giving up and just picking two solid color bands. Ugh!

WOO HOO!

Both Daisy and Donald today, and was able to grab them for DH and me. So happy!!!!!

:flower1::flower1::flower1:

I got Donald today too!!!!! Got Dole Whip and Donald! I've been checking every day almost every :43 for 2 weeks and finally got it! My son wanted pirates but also wanted Donald so when Donald showed up I grabbed it! And so excited for my Dole Whip! I think it was actual 5:51 pm (EST) when I checked it and got it. So frustrating but so happy I got them and it's done with!

Anyone ever seen a dumbo band come up? That’s my first choice for my AP band but don’t want to be holding out for that one if it’s not ever been available, if that’s the case I’ll go with my second choice which I’ve seen come and go more frequently.

Anyone ever seen a dumbo band come up? That’s my first choice for my AP band but don’t want to be holding out for that one if it’s not ever been available, if that’s the case I’ll go with my second choice which I’ve seen come and go more frequently.
I haven't seen Dumbo yet. I've looked a lot :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter