Magic Bands coming to Disneyland???

Give me the option to use my Apple Watch in a Magic Band like fashion and I would be happy. I already use it for Apple Pay, but using it to scan for FPs and get into the park would be amazing.

That would be soooo great. But honestly, I'd be happy if they could fix it so the Disneyland and MDE apps sent push notifications right to your watch.

He has no downside. He just wants to stir the pot. Pretty clear.

Magic bands are a massive downside if you care about your privacy. Disney uses those Magic bands to get all of your personal information so they can sell it and profit from you. They sell it to you as a connivence but its really just for their profits. And you are paying them for that band so they can sell you and your info. Disney is the seller and YOU are the product. Just like the app but at least you don't have to pay for the app.

Magic bands are a massive downside if you care about your privacy. Disney uses those Magic bands to get all of your personal information so they can sell it and profit from you. They sell it to you as a connivence but its really just for their profits. And you are paying them for that band so they can sell you and your info. Disney is the seller and YOU are the product. Just like the app but at least you don't have to pay for the app.

There's no information they can get from MBs that they can't get otherwise.

Give me the option to use my Apple Watch in a Magic Band like fashion and I would be happy. I already use it for Apple Pay, but using it to scan for FPs and get into the park would be amazing.

So, not sure how useful you’ll find this, but I recently learned this trick. When we were there a couple weeks ago, one of the photopass photographers taught me a trick. Take a screenshot of the QR code for your photopass photos. Make that the watchface on your Apple Watch. Then all you have to do for photopass photos is have them scan your watch. I thought it was a pretty neat trick lol

There's no information they can get from MBs that they can't get otherwise.

They would have to pay to assemble that info but with a magic band your paying them. While wearing it, they know your every move. They know what you like to eat. What size shirt you wear. How long does it take for you to go back to your room during the day. If you like to eat after a ride and how much. They have access to all of your finances as far as the credit cards you load on it. And that is just what they publicly disclose. They, much like facebook, could very well be doing a whole lot more nefarious things than what they publicly disclose. A data mining treasure trove and the people are paying them to take it from them. People get upset when anyone even speaks ill of it. Pretty 1984 if you think about such things. Luckily it will never come to Disneyland.

I would love MBs and I don't and have never equated them with FP+. They're two entirely separate things. I sign up for loyalty programs because I want to be tracked so I have zero issue Disney having another way to track me. Heck, I've suggested Disney should track APs when they do and don't buy popcorn outside of the refill deals.

If it were implemented, one wouldn't have to use it just like one does not have to use it at WDW. It would be a choice.

I have a feeling this will be used to pay using your phone via the app, Apple Pay or Google Pay. I just got an extensive survey from Disneyland yesterday that focused mainly on mobile technology usage in the parks and they were asking me a ton of questions about mobile pay options.

I'm a little confused by this since they already use NFC/mobile payments at DLR and have for some time now. Do you mean allowing for say digital gift card usage through the DLR app or use it like a wallet like some stores have done so if you don't have Apple, Google, or Samsung Pay you can still mobile pay? Or just new scan points for the existing mobile payment options. Or are they trying to figure out if people even know you can mobile pay?

Sorry for my confusion! Just curious where they're going with the questions.

They would have to pay to assemble that info but with a magic band your paying them. While wearing it, they know your every move. They know what you like to eat. What size shirt you wear. How long does it take for you to go back to your room during the day. If you like to eat after a ride and how much. They have access to all of your finances as far as the credit cards you load on it. And that is just what they publicly disclose. They, much like facebook, could very well be doing a whole lot more nefarious things than what they publicly disclose. A data mining treasure trove and the people are paying them to take it from them. People get upset when anyone even speaks ill of it. Pretty 1984 if you think about such things. Luckily it will never come to Disneyland.
I take it you don't own a smartphone.

MBs could easily work at DLR without having to have FP+. They'd be great for MaxPass! But I think I remember that all the 'hardware' at DLR would have to be replaced to accept RFID.

Not exactly.

The main gate and handheld scanners at the attractions would have to updated to accept RFID tickets, however, the FastPass touch points can accept RFID tickets at the flip of a switch.

Credit card info is NOT stored on the magic band. All the magic band does is charge your room account and the front desk runs your card at checkout or when you hit a spending threshold. So unless you are paying solely with cash magic bands do not give them access to any financial information that they wouldn't already have by having a card on file.

In terms of knowing when you go back to your room you can also use the MDE app to open your door which would give them the same information.

Any personal information is already on file and always was before magic bands existed.

And honestly, I am not concerned that Disney knows what size shirt I wear.

You also cannot compare magic bands to Facebook. Facebook is something that people are on daily for several hours if you look at the numbers released. Facebook is crawling private messages and personal information that you aren't putting on the platform as a consumer. On top of having access to a whole wealth of information that is not held on a magic band. Magic bands technically do not store information. They simply act as receiver to your MDE. Thus, not giving Disney access to any info that they wouldn't already have aside from using cash for all transactions and choosing to not use the app.

All of this is just tinfoil hat fear mongering coming from a fundamental misunderstanding of the product. If you don't like them, good for you. Don't act rude and get a on a soapbox when you clearly have no idea how magic bands function. This has nothing to do with you "speaking ill" of it. I have 0 tolerance for people spreading misinformation and spouting personal opinions as facts. There is absolutely nothing 1984 about a magic band unless you are terrified of technology in general and I assume you must not use a cell phone.

Paranoid much?

BTW, the MB does not store your credit card info, but yes, Disney could track your every move while you are wearing it. Do you really care if they do?

When it comes to FP+ they would not even need MB's to use it at DL and DCA, they basically could do it now. As others have said a MB does not store any information, except for basically a link to your Disney account. At WDW those not staying on property still have access to FP+ by using their park ticket. No need for a MB.

I thought magic bands made everything easier. The current fast pass system could be implemented with Mb by just eliminating the need to print them, of course the app is capable of that now. As far as tracking goes I’m sure they could do that now. When and where you use your card, what you get, using the tickets for Fastpass to know what you like to ride, the hotel key registers when you go in your room already. It’s not hard for them to track you now, so mb wouldn’t really make it different in that aspect. Everything on my WDW MB is already on my Disney profile. Also MB is optional at WDW so even if it does come there is nothing that says you have to get one to enjoy the park. Only if you want the convenience that comes with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts