Magic Bands

I ordered two sets (cancelled & rebooked). Both were shipped. Both arrived in about a week. There was a note on the MB page saying they would be available at the front desk, but then i got the shipping notification and they arrived via USPS (I'm in NC).

I ordered two sets (cancelled & rebooked). Both were shipped. Both arrived in about a week. There was a note on the MB page saying they would be available at the front desk, but then i got the shipping notification and they arrived via USPS (I'm in NC).
Well I put in for an order for our bands. I would like to order some decals to go on them, but with the Covid situation we may be in the position of having to cancel the day before.

I ordered one upgrade to get them right away.
I ordered decals from magic your band they are taking longer to get here than the bands.

I'm a newbie, so apologies for what might be a dumb question... I had booked a couple months ago, ordered and recieved magic bands. (I booked resort separately from park tickets).

Then I had to cancel my original room reservation (originally it was under a group rate) and rebooked for the exact same dates because I found a better rate.

Do you happen to know if the MBs I originally received will still work? I did not get the complimentary ones.

Now I'm worried they won't work.

I'm a newbie, so apologies for what might be a dumb question... I had booked a couple months ago, ordered and recieved magic bands. (I booked resort separately from park tickets).

Then I had to cancel my original room reservation (originally it was under a group rate) and rebooked for the exact same dates because I found a better rate.

Do you happen to know if the MBs I originally received will still work? I did not get the complimentary ones.

Yes, they will work

Magic Bands are NOT associated with a specific resort reservation. NOTHING is stored on the bands. They are merely "keys" that allow access to your MDE account. EVERYTHING is stored in that account. You can have multiple Magic Bands - all of which will work and are interchangeable.

Changing a resort reservation will not affect the bands in any way. Baring damage to the band or Disney changing the underlying technology, the bands will work forever for everything that matters (room access, park entry, purchases, FP, ADR, etc.).

Steve

I have a few questions about Magic Bands that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

We are going in 34 days (YAY!!!) and we just selected our magic bands. We are going with another family who live in another state. They made the resort reservation but we each bought our own tickets.
  • Will our magic bands be shipped to us?
  • If so, when should we expect to receive them and where will they be shipped -- our address or the other family's address?
  • If not, how do we go about getting them? We arrive before the other family and plan to go to the parks before checking into the hotel.
TIA

They should be mailed to the resort holders address I believe. I bought tix before making a resort reservation earlier this year and was sent the cards pretty quickly. Once I made resort reservations later on and linked them, I was able to select the bands. After that, they came in the mail in a week. Worst case the front desk should provide them. But going to parks before check in, maybe guest relations at the park can provide them. Probably just have to provide reservation # at gate entry using MDE. Just make sure everything is linked.

They should be mailed to the resort holders address I believe. I bought tix before making a resort reservation earlier this year and was sent the cards pretty quickly. Once I made resort reservations later on and linked them, I was able to select the bands. After that, they came in the mail in a week. Worst case the front desk should provide them. But going to parks before check in, maybe guest relations at the park can provide them. Probably just have to provide reservation # at gate entry using MDE. Just make sure everything is linked.

So are you saying that the tickets/cards will also be mailed to the other family's address?

So are you saying that the tickets/cards will also be mailed to the other family's address?

If you guys are all on 1 reservation and linked in MDE, then whoever's name is on the resort reservation should get the MB shipped to them. It is easy to go look at your MDE account and see, or for the person who's name is on the reservation to look at their MDE. It should give them the option to order magic bands. I would talk to your friend about it.

Purchased on their own, I think tickets/cards are mailed to the buyer. If a resort reservation is later linked in MDE, I would then think they’d be mailed to the resort holder. My cards shipped immediately to me after purchase and before I had linked them to my resort in MDE. Once they were linked, I was able to select MB. A week later the bands were delivered.

It’s been 5 years since we’ve been to Disneyworld😢. Been out of the loop cuz it was depressing to keep up when we weren’t going. That said, are the bands still free when booked at a resort or do you have to buy them? Can we use old bands from 5 years ago or do they expire?

You get free Magic bands when you book a reservation at a Disney hotel. The band does have a battery that can't be replaced and certain functions require the battery to be working. I would toss bands that are 5+ years old and use the new ones they send you to avoid issues when on vacation.

I have a November trip planned and in MDE it says I have to pick mine up from the front desk. I was hoping it would be mailed.

I have a few questions about Magic Bands that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

We are going in 34 days (YAY!!!) and we just selected our magic bands. We are going with another family who live in another state. They made the resort reservation but we each bought our own tickets.
  • Will our magic bands be shipped to us?
  • If so, when should we expect to receive them and where will they be shipped -- our address or the other family's address?
  • If not, how do we go about getting them? We arrive before the other family and plan to go to the parks before checking into the hotel.
TIA
To expand on what others have said... It sounds like you and another family booked a ROOM ONLY reservation, and purchased separate tickets... Similar to our trip in November (my wife, our son and I have annual passes, and our friend from South Carolina purchased her own), so I can use us as an example...

MagicBands for a resort reservation are mailed to the LEAD GUEST on the reservation, however when submitting the order you will get prompted to confirm or change the ship to address. Bands for all guests on the reservation will be sent to the single address. So in our case, I select the bands for all four of us, confirmed my ship to address, so all for bands, including our friend's, will come to my house (there is no option to split and ship our friends to her, and ours to us).

When purchasing tickets, if you select to have them shipped (rather than will call pickup at the parks), they will be mailed to the guest purchasing them. So in our case, our friend purchased her tickets and the plastic card was shipped to her. If I recall correctly, they have shipping options of Will Call (Pickup at park or guest services at WDW), USPS (7-10 days), both of which are free, or you can pay for express shipping.

As for the timing.... Tickets are usually shipped within a day or two from the order being completed/paid for. They usually take 7-10 business days if you select USPS. As for MagicBands currently they can take up to a week for to process (but usually its 2 or 3 business days), then they ship them out. The lead guest will see a notification in the My Disney Experience web site saying they shipped and the USPS tracking number. They may also get an email (but its not consistent). Unfortunately I've never seen notification of bands shipping in the app on my phone. In the past, when only free bands were available, Magicbands didn't process until 30 days to check-in, and shipped about 27 to 25 days to check in for arrival at your home about a week or two before check in. That changed (last year I think?) when they started including graphic bands you can pay to upgrade to, and then they started processing once you select your bands, and pay if you selected any upgraded bands.

If you arrive before your family who has your bands, bring and use your plastic card/ticket (each person has their own and would need it!) until the family member with the band arrives. The cards can be used anywhere you need to "TAP" your band or card (think to check in at Magical Express at the airport, Theme Park Entry, to pay/charge purchases to room, with photopass photographers to link your photos, room entry, pool entry, etc). The only thing you will lack using the card is "long range RFID" that the bands have, and the cards don't. This is only an issue to get ride photos on Pirates, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, and any other rides that "auto link" your PhotoPass photos, or if you have Be Our Guest reservations for breakfast or lunch (where its quick serve and pre-covid they brought your food to your table).

The other option is, if you have the option to change the Ship To for the band order... ship them to the people who will arrive first. Have the later arrival people use their card until they meet up with the early arrival... Again I'll use us... The 3 of us are arriving early and heading to the parks. We will have our friend's band with us, she will use her plastic ticket to enter the park and meet up with us, where I'll give her her band.

It’s been 5 years since we’ve been to Disneyworld😢. Been out of the loop cuz it was depressing to keep up when we weren’t going. That said, are the bands still free when booked at a resort or do you have to buy them? Can we use old bands from 5 years ago or do they expire?
MagicBands are RFID transmitters. And there are actually two transmitters inside.

The one for short range, used when you “tap” the band (think room key, park entry, fastpass, photo pass, payment, etc), will continue to work until/unless Disney changes technology.

The second RFID transmitter is used for long range features, or any time you don’t need to tap your band (think auto linking of ride photo/video in Tower of Terror or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, finding you with food at Be Our Guest Breakfast/Lunch, etc). The Long Range is powered by a battery which is believed to last only about two years, with no way to test the battery (other than maybe riding one of the rides and seeing if your photos autolink or not??). So keep this in mind if you wish to reuse older bands.

There is no problem with using OLDER bands if you remember they will only work for "tapping." I often use older graphic designed bands (because I like their look or effects) on my wrist for tapping. Since the ICON (aka center puck) on the NEW 2.0 Bands is removeable, I often keep the ICON of a new solid color (cheapest I find) band in my pocket, park bag, or on in Magic Keeper hanging on my bag or belt loop for long range. For example I have a MK45th Anniversary Tiki Room limited edition band (2016 so its battery for long range is dead) that makes cool effects and sounds at the "tap styles" so when I visit the Magic Kingdom, I wear that band on my wrist, and I have the icon from a recently purchased solid band in a magic keeper hanging on my bag. I tap with the Tiki band, and the other covers the long range so I don't miss ride photos. I have a Limited Edition Pandora/Avatar band (2017) for Animal Kingdom that I do the same with (Limited band on my wrist to tap with, and puck from recent solid in magic keeper hanging on my bag).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!