Magic Key questions

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at hopefully purchasing a Magic Key sometime in the future, likely when I can go more on weekdays than weekends. I have a couple of questions though...

1. If I were to start with an Inspire key while I'm still doing weekends, can I downgrade to a different level pass when I renew, or does it have to stay the same?

2. Is there a discount for renewal like there is with WDW AP's? (I've had a WDW AP for many years, but have recently rediscovered my love of DL and have added on DVC points at Grand Cali :) )

3. It looks like Believe and Enchant are both available to out of state?

Of course, by the time I'm ready to purchase one, they'll probably have changed the names and restrictions.

Thanks!

I'm looking at hopefully purchasing a Magic Key sometime in the future, likely when I can go more on weekdays than weekends. I have a couple of questions though...

1. If I were to start with an Inspire key while I'm still doing weekends, can I downgrade to a different level pass when I renew, or does it have to stay the same? At renewal, you can downgrade (I did this this time!)

2. Is there a discount for renewal like there is with WDW AP's? (I've had a WDW AP for many years, but have recently rediscovered my love of DL and have added on DVC points at Grand Cali :) ) Not currently.

3. It looks like Believe and Enchant are both available to out of state? Correct, only Imagine is restricted.

Of course, by the time I'm ready to purchase one, they'll probably have changed the names and restrictions.

Thanks!

I’m not sure if this happened at WDW, but at DLR, the MKs have only been available for new purchase briefly a few times since COVID re-opening. So you may want to think about buying now but not activating it until you are ready to start using it. If you wait, they may have stopped all MK sales and you will be out of luck. Numerous posts about this will let you know how the sales have gone in the past few years, but suffice it to say that many people missed out.

1. If I were to start with an Inspire key while I'm still doing weekends, can I downgrade to a different level pass when I renew, or does it have to stay the same?

2. Is there a discount for renewal like there is with WDW AP's? (I've had a WDW AP for many years, but have recently rediscovered my love of DL and have added on DVC points at Grand Cali :) )

3. It looks like Believe and Enchant are both available to out of state?

Thanks!

You can downgrade at renewal IF it is available - otherwise stay at the same level at renewal

$20 for DVC member. $20!!!!! Welcome home to VGC -- points going to kill you compared to WDW, but SO worth it.

Yes, both Believe and Enchant are unrestricted to location.

You can downgrade at renewal IF it is available - otherwise stay at the same level at renewal

$20 for DVC member. $20!!!!! Welcome home to VGC -- points going to kill you compared to WDW, but SO worth it.

According to other posts, in order to receive the $20 off, you need to purchase your MK in person.

I’m not sure if this happened at WDW, but at DLR, the MKs have only been available for new purchase briefly a few times since COVID re-opening. So you may want to think about buying now but not activating it until you are ready to start using it. If you wait, they may have stopped all MK sales and you will be out of luck. Numerous posts about this will let you know how the sales have gone in the past few years, but suffice it to say that many people missed out.
Yes, I've been watching this. Right now I'd still need Inspire, so I haven't done it b/c just getting a couple of park hoppers for the days I'll be there works out to be less $.

I added on one 50 point contract in 2022 and just grabbed another one that's in ROFR right now. Lol.

According to other posts, in order to receive the $20 off, you need to purchase your MK in person.
I saw that info when I did my search earlier. Good to know.

Last edited:
@mathgeek - remember you have 1 year to activate the pass. Expiration of the pass valid is 1 year from 1st day of use. So if you're looking to buy no matter what, may want to consider this as long as pass is available (who knows when it'll turn off)

@mathgeek - remember you have 1 year to activate the pass. Expiration of the pass valid is 1 year from 1st day of use. So if you're looking to buy no matter what, may want to consider this as long as pass is available (who knows when it'll turn off)
Thanks. I had seen that info. But I don't think my next trip will be until June 2025. So I'll keep watch after this June for the next round of pass sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter