Magic Kingdom (1st visit)

travelgirl71

Earning My Ears
We (9 year old daughter, DH, and myself) will be going to MK for the 1st time this Saturday. Our 1st FP is at 1:00 in tomorrow land. I seriously doubt that we will get there earlier than 11:00. What would you do first - just wonder along Mainstreet and take it all in?

If a miracle happens and we get there early morning, where should we head first?

Thanks!

We (9 year old daughter, DH, and myself) will be going to MK for the 1st time this Saturday. Our 1st FP is at 1:00 in tomorrow land. I seriously doubt that we will get there earlier than 11:00. What would you do first - just wonder along Mainstreet and take it all in?

If a miracle happens and we get there early morning, where should we head first?

Thanks!

Show your daughter the planning video (online at Disney website) and see what appeals to her most. Make your plan off what she wants to do.

There are attractions that usually have short lines (like people mover, country bears, etc.) that you could knock out, or you could just enjoy the atmosphere and hang out, but if this is your first time I’d do some rides. I know you said that you’re not getting there til 11 but if this is your only day there I’d get there at opening. MK is the park most beneficial to rope drop and it really takes 2-3 days to see and do everything there at a normal (not running around) pace. It’s pretty well packed with attractions. Also it’ll be cooler in the morning. However you do it you’ll have fun.

Slow and steady will serve you better than frenzied and bouncing all over like a ping-pong ball. Enjoy all that you can, but enjoy!

Go with the flow, don't feel compelled to cram stuff in. The best parts of trips are sometimes spontaneous.

When I first went to Disney (I was 12, I think) I didn't take it all in, instead I ran to the haunted mansion and I totally regret not savoring main street for the first time. There's nothing like it.
My (very) stubborn Dad took me while we were in the area, and he loved taking in main street.
However, as someone said above I would just go with the flow.

Assuming you have a smartphone, get the app installed. Check the wait times. (You can try doing that now.). Also spend a little bit of time looking at a map so you’re familiar with the layout.

This way, when you get there, you can offer your daughter a choice between going on a ride or taking in the atmosphere.

At this instant (9:38 EDT), Buzz Lightyear is only 10 minutes. That would be an excellent first choice if you get there early and it has a similar wait time.

I think it depends on how much time you plan to spend at MK. Just the one day? If so, then you may want to get a jump on things. The heat is on here in Florida already, so by 11am it's going to be pretty warm!!! You combine that with a Holiday weekend and I think you need to use your time wisely. Taking it all in is great, but for a first visit at that age, rides would have been more important to my kids. I would follow the above advice and be ready to ask your daughter what she wants to do by giving her a couple of choices. You can definitely play it by ear, but know ahead of time what your options might look like! Have a magical time!

I think it depends on how much time you plan to spend at MK. Just the one day? If so, then you may want to get a jump on things. The heat is on here in Florida already, so by 11am it's going to be pretty warm!!! You combine that with a Holiday weekend and I think you need to use your time wisely. Taking it all in is great, but for a first visit at that age, rides would have been more important to my kids. I would follow the above advice and be ready to ask your daughter what she wants to do by giving her a couple of choices. You can definitely play it by ear, but know ahead of time what your options might look like! Have a magical time!

Agree entirely. I’m all for “take it all” in as a (mostly) adult but me as an excited 9 year old? Yeah right....

You may enjoy just going into the shops and galleries along main street. Or some attractions tend to have short waits all day, like Mickey's Philharmagic, the Carousel of Progress, the Hall of Presidents, the Enchanted Tiki Room, or the Country Bear Jamboree. I love all of them! You might want to get a Mickey bar from an ice cream cart. There's always something to do. I never wait more than 20 minutes for rides or 30 minutes at most and keep myself busy all day!

Thanks for the responses!!!! We will also be going back to MK on our last day in Disney so we will have 2 days in that park. I like the idea of feeling the magic and then going to rides with a short wait. We will probably get there earlier than I anticipate because the 9 year old will more than likely get up early due to excitement.

Thanks again!!!

The Mickey & Minnie M&G is at Town Hall Theater immediately when you enter MK (to the right). They are currently in celebration outfits and it’s rare that they are meeting together; I also find it awkward to fit in this meet and greet since you have to double back to the entrance and that can waste time in the middle of your day if you are on the other side of the park. If the wait is less than 30-40min, then I’d do this as soon as you enter.

Definitely savor walking down Main st and taking in all the details and pics of the castle. The “shops” along the left side is really just one long huge store in the inside, I prefer to get to the attractions and save shopping time for later in day when we need an AC break.

Before doing your FP, take a ride on Peoplemover since it’ll give you a nice ride and tour around Tomorrowland. There is rarely more than a 5-10min wait to load, and it’s about a 10min ride so allow about 30min before your FP to be safe.

I think it all depends on what all of your interests are, particularly your kid's.
Is she more interested in rides or meeting characters?
Are you guys interested in seeing a parade (or planning on staying late to see the fireworks)?
Do you guys have any particular favorite Disney movies or characters?
(That can help to narrow down your options, by picking attractions based on movies/characters you love vs. avoiding attractions you might not care for.)

Do you have a preference for the type of rides you go on (ex. roller coasters like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, easy-going rides like the carousel, etc.)?

(Personally, I'd probably rope drop the coasters and get fastpasses for some of my other favorite rides.)

My daughter says she wants to ride coasters but we (the parents) not so much. We are all about the easy going rides. I will get out the official guide and make a note of the rides we all will enjoy.

I know she will enjoy meeting characters. I purchased her the jr. encyclopedia of characters for signatures but it may be too big to carry around.

We have a Fastpass for space mountain but after watching that video on YouTube, I know we will not be doing it :)

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Update.... we got in MK and just had a moment to be. It was great!!!! Our first FP was for Jungle Cruise so we slowly walked that direction. We then did Pirates waiting about 30 minutes and had lunch in the area.

Our next FP was in Tomorrowland so we walked to that area. We spent a lot of time in that area. My daughter loved the people mover.

The FP guided which areas we visited and when but we definitely took our time. Thanks for the help!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter