Magic vs Dream vs Fantasy!!!

Yes we are definitely going to try this! I am not a sams club member, a target red card member, OR have any BJ's near us :( so we are taking advantage of every discount we can!

Target you can do the debt card version and buy the gift cards online.

So if nothing else do that.

I've been on wonder 3 weeks, fantasy 1 week, dream 1 week. Unless you already decide this is an one and done, I would start with the Dream. Usually for the cost and similar location, its the most expensive. Once your hooked, then you can the other ships. Like alot people say, usually the one you like most is the one your currently on or just left. Now for rapunzel, do magic.

Nov 30. Then Nov 12. They are all fun. Its Disney.

I've been on wonder 3 weeks, fantasy 1 week, dream 1 week. Unless you already decide this is an one and done, I would start with the Dream. Usually for the cost and similar location, its the most expensive. Once your hooked, then you can the other ships. Like alot people say, usually the one you like most is the one your currently on or just left. Now for rapunzel, do magic.

Nov 30. Then Nov 12. They are all fun. Its Disney.
Ugh that's just it, we are WDW people for sure but I can see us getting hooked on cruises too. So it's not like I'll NEVER go on another Disney cruise either. Half of me wants to go big and do the Dream for the extra stuff and the bigger feel and newness but half of me is like ok this is our first cruise lets do the small ship and take it easy and low key.

Ugh that's just it, we are WDW people for sure but I can see us getting hooked on cruises too. So it's not like I'll NEVER go on another Disney cruise either. Half of me wants to go big and do the Dream for the extra stuff and the bigger feel and newness but half of me is like ok this is our first cruise lets do the small ship and take it easy and low key.

Once you realize there is too much to do for only a 4 night trip, you will be back. Cruises and parks are so different. It all trips will be as busy or not, depending on what you make of it. I can say for me, I do too much. I always need to take a vacation from a completed cruise. For some reason I try to try a 11pm movie in the theater 3 out of 7 night trip. This is after always up by 6am every morning and basically never going back to the room. I am interested in the magic to finish up all the ships.

I've been on the Fantasy once and the Magic twice. Fantasy was our first cruise. After going on the Magic I have no desire to go back to the bigger boats. I love the more intimate feel of the Magic and found the food was better on that ship as well (though both Magic cruises were in Europe, so that may factor in). Just walking one end of the Fantasy to the other felt long and the MDRs were huge compared to the Magic. The Rapunzel dinner show (which was new for us our last sailing) is fantastic and was one of the highlights for my daughter. We've also ran into more random characters roaming the Magic then we did on our Fantasy trip, which is just fun for the kids too!

A few of the things on The Dream have me swaying that way. Vanellope's for one!!! Also the Aqua Duck vs the Dunk because my daughter will not be tall enough for the Dunk. Better food also gets me as we are huge Disney foodies and eating is our favorite part of the vaca haha. I love the idea of the Rapunzel dinner except we have never done character dining and tbh I like to EAT at eating time, rather than watch or interact. I'm weird like that but I wouldn't be too horribly hurt if we missed the Rapunzel dinner show.

Vanellope's is a pay at the counter like Ample Hills at the Boardwalk, and not inexpensive. Magic does have a water slide that is very popular, if she pulls herself a good start, crosses her arms and lays all the way back, she will fly. Since the re-imagining the Magic is now our favorite ship, we have sailed all ships multiple times. We always focus on the classic ship itineraries to see what matches our schedule because we enjoy the Magic and Wonder far more than the Dream and Fantasy. When we sail out of Miami we fly into FLL and shuttle to the port in the morning, MSP to FLL has most always been cheaper for us if it is not around the boat show.

I would not add Vanellope's in as a selling feature personally because it costs more and it isn't cheap.

I did LOVE the shawarma station on the Magic as well as the build a bowl station (both on the pool deck, and neither were on the Fantasy/Dream).

The AquaDuck is the only thing that would make me slightly lean toward the bigger ship, but not enough to be a huge factor.

You can't go wrong anyway, they are all excellent.

I got your answer, and this is based on being first cruise. Read no more. If this cruise is either a Caribbean or Bahamian, I would go with the Dream. Magic goes to more unique location and ventures out of the gulf.

Seriously you wont have time worrying about the little things since the cruise is so short. If deciding to chase characters and buy the onboard picture package, that will be all your time. So this is your choice.

Magic nov 12 for rapunzel. Or dream nov 30 for the newer bigger ship, and aqua duck. Nov is basically hurricane free, and dec is kinda cold to swim at castway. I been 2nd week of December, ocean water is pretty freezing.

I would say go magic for your little girl and i love rapunzel myself. But if you know you will go again and this is a gulf cruise, do the dream. I wouldnt worry about the too many people cause like the park, its always too many people. And during school season, its not that bad. Just don't do a friday to Monday cruise and you will be ok.

I just did a 4 night with a 3 night, will probably never go on anything unless is 6 or more nights. I believe 7 nights is the sweet spot especially if you have to spend that much extra to get to the port. If not move to Orlando?

Once you realize there is too much to do for only a 4 night trip, you will be back. Cruises and parks are so different. It all trips will be as busy or not, depending on what you make of it. I can say for me, I do too much. I always need to take a vacation from a completed cruise. For some reason I try to try a 11pm movie in the theater 3 out of 7 night trip. This is after always up by 6am every morning and basically never going back to the room. I am interested in the magic to finish up all the ships.
This is would be us!!!

I got your answer, and this is based on being first cruise. Read no more. If this cruise is either a Caribbean or Bahamian, I would go with the Dream. Magic goes to more unique location and ventures out of the gulf.

Seriously you wont have time worrying about the little things since the cruise is so short. If deciding to chase characters and buy the onboard picture package, that will be all your time. So this is your choice.

Magic nov 12 for rapunzel. Or dream nov 30 for the newer bigger ship, and aqua duck. Nov is basically hurricane free, and dec is kinda cold to swim at castway. I been 2nd week of December, ocean water is pretty freezing.

I would say go magic for your little girl and i love rapunzel myself. But if you know you will go again and this is a gulf cruise, do the dream. I wouldnt worry about the too many people cause like the park, its always too many people. And during school season, its not that bad. Just don't do a friday to Monday cruise and you will be ok.

I just did a 4 night with a 3 night, will probably never go on anything unless is 6 or more nights. I believe 7 nights is the sweet spot especially if you have to spend that much extra to get to the port. If not move to Orlando?
Lol the dream and the fantasy are the only 2 that are non Friday-Monday. After talking with my husband we are leaning towards halloween on the fantasy.

It's very personal but I preferred the Dream (bigger) to the Wonder (smaller)... I felt that the elevators on the Wonder were very tiny and most public areas felt more "cramped". On the Dream, we felt that we had more space and there were more things to do.

I do believe that the experience is a little bit nicer in the classic ship dining rooms...

But I'd definitely go for the Dream or the Fantasy.

I thought you decided on December 2020 4 night Magic stateroom 1079?

I thought the same thing. ;)

I am partial to the Magic. For my first sailing after a five-year health hiatus, I was considering a three night Dream Cruise with two stops at Castaway Cay. (I love Castaway Cay). I realized three nights is like getting on the boat and before you know it, you’re off. And with no sea days, there would be little time to enjoy the expensive ship. And then there is the ship. The Dream and Fantasy just aren’t my cup of tea. I find things I complain about - and yet none of the ships are that different. But I do like the coziness of the smaller ships. It might be that I spent 25 nights straight on the Magic (you would have loved the price).

I notice you stay at the price-friendly WDW resorts and mention pricing. Let that be your guide. Spending more isn’t going to make your first cruise significantly better. Get the room with the upper berth for your daughter. It costs nothing and will be something fun she can do while she’s young.

Take a good look at airfare to the MCO, MIA, and FLL + ground transportation. Early December can be great cost-wise. If you like an air carrier and price is close, go with one you know and trust. Some of the budget ones probably have earned their poor reputations.

There are plenty of hotels near the Orlando airport with free shuttles. Renting a car one way to the port usually does not have the added one-way surcharge and offer a ride to the ship from the rental office. I sailed DCL out of Miami and took a shuttle from FLL. It was a shorter ride than MCO to Port Canaveral.

Your food (and cabin) are going to be about the same on any of the ships. Only one restaurant serves a different menu on one night.

Will your daughter use the kids clubs? That might be something that varies from the smaller to bigger ships. I don’t travel with kids, so I’m out of that loop. Outdoor be a deciding factor.

Does any one cruise / ship call out to you more? Go with your gut. Hope you pick one you like.

And then let us know what you chose. :). There’s nothing like vicarious travel (and planning). I’m already reading the menu for next November’s Magic Cruise.

Last edited:
Just got off of the four night Halloween cruise on the Dream. While we enjoyed it, the Magic is the ship for us. Love the size. Love the less crowded feel. Love everything about it.

Whichever you choose, you’ll have a great time.

I would not add Vanellope's in as a selling feature personally because it costs more and it isn't cheap
On the other hand, it does offer high quality desserts on a cruise line that typically serves lackluster desserts in the MDR & on the pool deck, so...

I think Cabanas lunch buffet desserts have a nice selection & are often tasty, but those aren't available at dinner and Vanellopes really kicks it up a notch. It's not cheap, but it's not silly expensive, either. It's priced in line with the other upcharge food items onboard, like smoothies at the adult clubs and popcorn & soda at the movie theater.

I pick cruises by port. Really, nowhere in the Bahama's or Caribbean super interest me, but I'd pick best ports (do any stop at Key West, I'd like that one).

I've only been on the Magic, and upcoming on the Wonder. The only thing that interests me about the Dream is the Beauty and the Beast show. Nothing about the Fantasy excites me.

I've done both Halloween and Merrytime on the Magic and haven't felt overwhelmed with crowds (and one of them was over Thanksgiving), which is NOT what I've heard with the larger ships.

The Fantasy called to us just because it's massive and we MIGHT not be able to cruise again just because we like our Disney World vacas and would probably pick them over a cruise for budget reasons, and also I found out the Fantasy doesn't usually do the 4 night Bahamian route? So it is kind of rare to get it? Something about the Dream being dry docked. But really our decision was based on October vs December. Halloween vs Christmas. With only 4 nights we plan on spending a LOT of time on the ship so the Halloween activities really are what caught my eye. That and the October trip is further from Christmas so it gives us a bit of a "break" after vacation to prepare for the holidays! I am sure being our first cruise ever, either ship would've really impressed us! There is just so much to know and learn that I am hoping someday to cruise again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter