Magic vs Wonder

ajgardner

DIS Veteran
We have been on the Disney Fantasy 3 times and Dream twice, loved them but old like to explore something a little new. We are looking at the classic ships, is there a big difference between them that would make you choose one of the classics over the other? I know Frozen is on Wonder and Tangled is on Magic (we actually like the movie Tangled better, but I’m sure both shows are great) and they have slightly different themed restaurants. We aren’t too concerned about itinerary because our focus is usually the ship. Our kids will be 13 and 17 and do enjoy going to the clubs. Any huge reason to choose one classic over the other?

We have been on the Disney Fantasy 3 times and Dream twice, loved them but old like to explore something a little new. We are looking at the classic ships, is there a big difference between them that would make you choose one of the classics over the other? I know Frozen is on Wonder and Tangled is on Magic (we actually like the movie Tangled better, but I’m sure both shows are great) and they have slightly different themed restaurants. We aren’t too concerned about itinerary because our focus is usually the ship. Our kids will be 13 and 17 and do enjoy going to the clubs. Any huge reason to choose one classic over the other?
Basically the ships are identical. That said, different specific areas have different names on each ship, but they are the same type of area (Keys vs Cadillac Lounge - piano bars; O'Gills vs Crown and Fin - pubs; Fathoms vs Azure - show lounge).

Decor is a bit different (different colors, themeing).

Magic - atrium
magic 2016 1610 P1090031 Stitch 1500.jpg
Wonder - atrium
wonder 2016.png

Biggest difference I can think of is I believe the Aqua Dunk is only on the Magic. (Sort of fun drop plunge, but I usually had water over my face when swinging out over the side.)

We’ve sailed on both ships. I would go back on either in a hearthbeat. The Magic has a more experienced crew. The only time we’ve had bad service in the MDRs was on Wonder. They seem a bit more disorganized. That being said, I would choose itinerary over that small concern.

We’ve sailed on both ships. I would go back on either in a hearthbeat. The Magic has a more experienced crew. The only time we’ve had bad service in the MDRs was on Wonder. They seem a bit more disorganized. That being said, I would choose itinerary over that small concern.
In my experience, time was the Wonder crew was "less experienced". Back in the day that the Wonder did the 3 & 4 night cruises, they got the bulk of the newbies. Now that she's pretty much running longer cruises, I find not much difference between the crew on any of the ships.

They are both fabulous. I would choose whichever one had the itinerary I wanted. I did like Tiana's on the Wonder better than Rapunzel's on the Magic, but I wouldn't let that sway me either way.

We've sailed on both and didn't notice a lot of difference between the two ships. The Wonder in 2016 was looking a little ... shabby (i.e. chipped paint, stained / frayed carpets, faded curtains and just generally a fair amount of wear and tear), but I'm pretty sure it's had a major update since then.

Otherwise, the two ships seemed pretty much identical, subject to different restaurants and the slide. Cove Café was also larger on the Magic when we sailed, but I think it's been downsized to be the same as the adults only café on the Wonder.

In terms of the cast members, we personally found the cast on the Wonder to be a lot friendlier (e.g. when waiting in line for meet and greets, they would chat to all the guests, etc) and more competent (e.g. they were pretty awesome at dinner, especially with "regular" drinks). But, I'm not sure whether that is simply dumb luck as opposed to having anything to do with the actual ships themselves.

We will have sailed 34 days on the Wonder by the end of this year. Last year we did 21 days on the Magic and 7 on the Fantasy. The underlying footprint of the Magic and Wonder are nearly identical. An outlook area was added to the Wonder for Alaskan cruising, but that is mostly, if not entirely, dedicated to concierge guests at this point. The programmatic differences are in dining rooms (Rapunzel's vs Tiana's Place), and then shows (Tangled vs Frozen). Tiana's Place is one of the best dining room experiences in the fleet, at least IMHO.

The crew on the Wonder is very experienced, across the board. I would have no concern about dining room servers - we have had some of the best on the Wonder. We have done 23 Disney Cruises and the Wonder is one of the best crews. It is a "secret" amongst crew that once you get a contract on the Wonder, you really don't want to leave. The Wonder does some great itineraries, and that is part of the reason crew love the Wonder.

Personally, we prefer the classic ships to the newer ships. Part of it is these ships allow for just a little better chance to get to know your crew because they are just smaller ships compared to Dream and Fantasy. They also don't feel as crowded. And, finally, the itineraries are just much more interesting. As you continue in your DCL journey, itinerary may become more important to you and the Classic ships have Alaska, Canada, Pacific Coast, and Europe in their itineraries, along with Panama Canal and Transatlantic.

We will have sailed 34 days on the Wonder by the end of this year. Last year we did 21 days on the Magic and 7 on the Fantasy. The underlying footprint of the Magic and Wonder are nearly identical. An outlook area was added to the Wonder for Alaskan cruising, but that is mostly, if not entirely, dedicated to concierge guests at this point. The programmatic differences are in dining rooms (Rapunzel's vs Tiana's Place), and then shows (Tangled vs Frozen). Tiana's Place is one of the best dining room experiences in the fleet, at least IMHO.

The crew on the Wonder is very experienced, across the board. I would have no concern about dining room servers - we have had some of the best on the Wonder. We have done 23 Disney Cruises and the Wonder is one of the best crews. It is a "secret" amongst crew that once you get a contract on the Wonder, you really don't want to leave. The Wonder does some great itineraries, and that is part of the reason crew love the Wonder.

Personally, we prefer the classic ships to the newer ships. Part of it is these ships allow for just a little better chance to get to know your crew because they are just smaller ships compared to Dream and Fantasy. They also don't feel as crowded. And, finally, the itineraries are just much more interesting. As you continue in your DCL journey, itinerary may become more important to you and the Classic ships have Alaska, Canada, Pacific Coast, and Europe in their itineraries, along with Panama Canal and Transatlantic.

This expresses my view also. And, yes the whole upstairs outlook area is now concierge.

In my experience, time was the Wonder crew was "less experienced". Back in the day that the Wonder did the 3 & 4 night cruises, they got the bulk of the newbies. Now that she's pretty much running longer cruises, I find not much difference between the crew on any of the ships.

Having sailed both the Magic and the Wonder numerous times, I absolutely agree with the above! I've been on the Dream twice, and am getting ready to sail the Fantasy in a matter of days. I will be shocked if the Fantasy changes my current opinion that for me, the CLASSICS are the best! :love:

Agree with most here that the ship experience isn't that different, other than what's already been mentioned. I think the Edge (tween) and Vibe (teen) clubs are pretty similar on both ships, but not what they are used to on the Fantasy and Dream - check out some Youtube videos.

The Magic has the Aqua Dunk, while the Wonder is the only DCL ship without a major waterslide. It does have Twist & Spout, but that's a relatively small & tame slide.

We were on the Wonder in Alaska this June, and loved it, but my son would have really missed having a big waterslide if it had been a warm-weather cruise. I had been looking forward to the Frozen show, but wasn't wowed by it at all. Beauty & the Beast on the Dream is much better. Didn't see Tangled when we were on the Magic a few years back, but I'd rather see that than the Frozen show again.

Either ship will be great, but I recommend the Magic.

Last edited:
Cove Café was also larger on the Magic when we sailed, but I think it's been downsized to be the same as the adults only café on the Wonder.

In the recent past, the Wonder had the larger Cove Cafe, and was split over two decks. The upstairs portion, known as Outlook Cafe, was converted into more Concierge Lounge space around a year ago.

I can't agree that service is better on the classics, as that has not been our experience. We've sailed on every ship, and had our best service experience on the Fantasy, followed by the Dream. The service on the Wonder & Magic was basically good, but there were more issues with it in our experience.

On the Wonder, our MDR servers didn't get my son's picture into the animation show. No, we weren't late- they just kept overlooking our table as they catered to another. I watched the show carefully (as he'd drawn carefully & was looking forward to it), but his art wasn't there. They admitted afterwards that they didn't get his picture in. So that was very disappointing to us.

Our cabin steward on the Wonder forgot to give us toilet paper one day (he left the empty spool out, too), so I had to track him down for that. For the several thousands you pay for a verandah cabin in Alaska, you'd expect to always have toilet paper.

So they were all very nice servers, but didn't do a great job overall. Crew performance was much more competant and consistent on the Dream class ships, in our experience.

So they were all very nice servers, but didn't do a great job overall. Crew performance was much more competant and consistent on the Dream class ships, in our experience.

It's interesting how much it can vary, since all 3 of my cruises on the Magic also rank as my top 3 service-wise (out of 7). The Wonder comes in at #4, my main server was amazing, even moreso than most on the Magic, but the assistant server came across as a bit rude and disinterested. The Dream is difficult to judge since the cruises are so short, but my experience is the crew aren't as personable due to not being around each set of guests for too long. The Fantasy ranks at the very bottom, they were just not nice servers in general. Constantly trying to push the nickel-and-dime stuff (eg alcohol and souvenir cups) on us, but then not offering us bread, or the danishes on disembarkation morning. There was very clear hostility between the server and assistant, to the point they were arguing and subsequently ignoring one another. Was frustrating since it was the one and only cruise that my ex-partner and I had convinced friends to join us on, and raved about how good the service is, to end up with that.

So sorry to read that your son's art didn't make the animation show... when it only runs once per cruise that would even make me sad :(

The concierge lounge is bigger on the Wonder and also has a large private sun deck above it.

We love Tiana's also but I dont think you can't go wrong with either ship. If you dine in Palo on the Magic, I would recommend requesting Sylvester to be your server.

Good luck.

We have sailed the Magic three times and Wonder once, last year in Alaska. I really enjoyed the Wonder, there were some cast members we had come across previously on the Magic that had switched ships and personally found there to be some very experienced and excellent cast members. We had perfect service on both, maybe it was the itinerary in Alaska but I felt the Wonder was a really relaxed environment and very 'adult' ship.

I doubt you can tell the comparative quality of an entire ship's service based on limited anecdotal evidence. No cruise on any ship will have 100% of the crew members performing to the Disney standard 100% of the time. Through 13 cruises, including all four ships, the only time we've experienced blatantly sub-par service was in the MDR on our 2010 Holiday Cruise on the Magic. The "excuse" we heard at that time was two-fold: 1) that much of the top performing staff had been offered contracts on the Dream which was just about to sail for the first time, and 2) that for the remaining staff, many of the top performers were given first opportunity at Holiday leave. That said, on the second night when we complained to our head server about the poor service, he switched us to a new server. To this day, we have yet to have a server as good as she was.

I doubt you can tell the comparative quality of an entire ship's service based on limited anecdotal evidence. No cruise on any ship will have 100% of the crew members performing to the Disney standard 100% of the time. Through 13 cruises, including all four ships, the only time we've experienced blatantly sub-par service was in the MDR on our 2010 Holiday Cruise on the Magic. The "excuse" we heard at that time was two-fold: 1) that much of the top performing staff had been offered contracts on the Dream which was just about to sail for the first time, and 2) that for the remaining staff, many of the top performers were given first opportunity at Holiday leave. That said, on the second night when we complained to our head server about the poor service, he switched us to a new server. To this day, we have yet to have a server as good as she was.
Interesting story.

The one time we had bad service and discussed it with our head server, he basically took over serving us the rest of our cruise and everything from that point forward was perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter