Magic vs Wonder

The Dream is difficult to judge since the cruises are so short, but my experience is the crew aren't as personable due to not being around each set of guests for too long

Personally I agree with this. To me, there is a different "feel" and vibe to a short cruise compared to a 7 night or longer. That is NOT a knock against the shorter cruises in any way, form or fashion folks. I've taken plenty of 4 nights and a couple of 3 nights. LOVE cruising, no matter how short or long the cruise! :love:

The concierge lounge is bigger on the Wonder and also has a large private sun deck above it.

This is true, but sadly, most of this is now reserved for the Concierge folks on the Wonder. I LOVED, loved the 2 story Cove/Outlook Cafe! It was fabulous on the Hawaii sailings too! :goodvibes

I will add as a mariner (engineer), the crew's demeanor could depend on how long they are on the vessel and how management is handling morale. The spa crew are on for 6 month contracts. They have to pay for internet just like the rest of us. They go to these destinations but don't really get to actually see them a lot of the time. From what I've heard, the kids' club CM are on the same rotation. Licensed Engineering crew are only on for 2 months, I'd guess the licensed Deck crew (Captain, chief mate, etc.) would be similar. The unlicensed guys could be on for a while (6-9 months, these are the deckhands, motormen). I know a welder who was on a ship for 9 months but not a Disney crew member.

I'm sure some of you are going to say, "that shouldn't matter!" Unfortunately, depending on crew moral it does!

OP, I think it's more luck of the draw. Our first Wonder cruise (Alaska) blew us out of the water. My food allergies are complicated but I had a chef who's daughter has the same allergies, made the trip magical. Even in Palo, the chef totally catered to my allergies. Our first Magic cruise (Southern Caribbean), was subpar in comparison. (I worry about this for our next cruise on the Magic, WBTA19 because my son has the same allergies I have) I had the same dessert for almost all 7 days. It was like they didn't even try. The excuse they used was they didn't get better food products because they were in Puerto Rico and limited. Our 2nd cruise on the Wonder (Hawaii) was even subpar compared to our first one. Same issue, the food they could pick up at the ports. It did get better when we complained but we had to complain.

The Magic has a Midship Detective game similar to the Fantasy/Dream. The Wonder did not have that as of last October when we were on her.

Are you sure? I sailed on the Magic in May and saw nothing of the sort, and it hasn't been promoted at all as an addition since the last drydock. Also, the Magic doesn't have any of the 'magic artworks' that the Dream class uses for Midship Detective Agency.

I definitely noticed an uptick in quality of MDR food on the Magic vs Fantasy. It wasn’t huge but 20% better.

I love Remy and will miss that on my next Wonder Cruise.

We’ve had great service on both. We did get to spend more time chatting with and getting to know our serving team on the Magic. They seemed less hurries, but our team on the Fantasy took time to do magic tricks for the kids and were also outstanding.

Our Magic team did so many magic tricks each night that my son complained that his food kept getting cold.

The other difference between them is that the Wonder is the only DCL ship that doesn't have on-demand Disney programming on the stateroom TVs.
That is very good to know. My kids actually enjoy laying in bed at night and watching the on demand shows.

Thank you everyone for your input! Sounds like I won’t worry too much about which ship. Just need to now choose between 7 nights with no Castaway Cay or 5 nights with Castaway (my daughter’s last cruise before turning 18 and she loves “The Wild Side Tern Excursion” on Castaway)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter