Magical Express FIRST TIME!

And if this your first time flying, limit the number of carry-ons to only things your really need while flying. Most planes have limited space in the overhead bins and too many bring their luggage on the plane to save the cost of checked baggage, which can be a real pain to those around you. Check your airline website as to how many pieces of luggage they let you carry-on (varies by airline and ticket class).

Recommended you arrive at the airport 2 hrs prior to departure time since TSA lines can be long and you never know that ahead of time. Planes will leave without you if are aren't there to board on time. Make sure you know what airline you are traveling on as large airports have MANY terminals.

You need to have (or print) your boarding pass before you go to the counter to check your bags. All airlines have touch screen kiosks near the counter and airline employes can assist you if necessary. You need to show your boarding pass and photo ID (except for young children) at both the baggage check-in counter and during the TSA process. Remove everything from your pockets before you get to the TSA area and place them in one of your carry-ons (keys/wallet/cell phones....etc.) to save time. Hold onto your boarding pass & ID to show to the TSA person. Read the airline and TSA websites about things you are not allowed to carry on a plane. You can't take large water bottles, large bottles of shampoo or hand creme, sharp objects, etc. on airplanes anymore due to security concerns. Knowing the requirements will help speed you through the TSA area. Make sure to claim ALL of your items from the conveyor before leaving the area.

Once you check your bags with the airline, they are responsible to get them to your destination. You do not reclaim baggage at any layover city. Do not exit the security area during your layover or you will have to again go through the TSA screening and you might miss your next flight.

You board your flight based on how that airline does things, so listen to the gate announcement for specific instructions. Seats are numbered starting at the front of the plane (1.2.3.4......etc.) Window on right side is typically A and then it continues to B/C/D....depending on the configuration of that plane. Know your seat assignment when walking down the aisle. Seat numbers are also posted on the ceiling above the seats. Southwest handles boarding a bit differently but you didn't say which airline.

Is using Disney magical express you do NOT claim you luggage at MCO, but proceed to the disney bus. The disney website has a very good map with directions.

Last edited:
Also note that the magical express is only available with certain airlines. Make sure the one you book your flight with is one of those if you plan to use that service.
Are you sure about that? I thought ME was available for anyone flying into MCO

I can say for certain that Frontier takes bags with the Yellow DME tags and they arrive at the resort just fine.

While Frontier isn't on that specific map neither is Virgin or Alaska and they both participate. Nor does that map list any international carriers and they all participate.

Good to know. Maybe they should update the map (or make a statement on the disney site that all airlines are included), since I noticed several airlines are not on that map.

Last edited:
The map in the link is likely just simplified/abbreviated, listing every participating airline would cover the entire map... While Air Canada is shown, Westjet, Air Transat, and Sunwing (who are all on the same airside as Air Canada) are not shown - but I’ve flown with all of them & have received and used the yellow luggage tags, and ridden the ME to our resort & back to the airport at the end of the trip :)

The map on the Disney website only shows certain airlines. For example, Frontier is not shown on their map. If using an airline NOT on the disney map, I would call to be sure.

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...st-services-magical-express-all-gates-map.pdf
Good to know. Maybe they should update the map since I noticed several airlines are not on that map.
You misunderstand the purpose of that map.
That map is not meant to be all inclusive of the participating airlines.
That map is a directional map. It's meant to show you where the different sides are in relation to the ME pick up point. So it listed a few airlines to give points of reference. Nothing more.
Anyone arriving to MCO can use ME. It's when you arrive to another airport that you can't use ME. And of course, when you don't stay at a Disney owned and operated resort.

I did find that it makes a difference which airline you chose when departing at the end of your vacation. If you want to do the 'resort airline check-in' you have to be traveling on one of the airlines listed below. We plan to use the Magical Express for the first time and enjoy the total round-trip experience, so something to take into consideration.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/resort-airline-check-in/

Participating Airlines and Resort Hotels
Resort Airline Check-In is available to Guests staying at select Disney Resort hotels and flying on participating airlines.

Participating Airlines
All flights must be departing from Orlando International Airport on one of the following airlines:
  • Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines (U.S. Domestic Flights Only)
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Southwest Airlines
  • United Airlines

I did find that it makes a difference which airline you chose when departing at the end of your vacation. If you want to do the 'resort airline check-in' you have to be traveling on one of the airlines listed below. We plan to use the Magical Express for the first time and enjoy the total round-trip experience, so something to take into consideration.

Resort Airline Check-In is available to Guests staying at select Disney Resort hotels and flying on participating airlines.

Participating Airlines
All flights must be departing from Orlando International Airport on one of the following airlines:
  • Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Southwest Airlines
  • United Airlines

Resort Airline Check-In is completely separate and apart from Magical Express. Anyone, regardless of the airline, can use Magical Express both coming to WDW and leaving WDW. They do not even have to be flying to use it.

Resort Airline Check-In simply handles your bags for you, and only for the participating airlines listed. You drop them off at the desk and don't see them again until you get to your home airport - they facilitate the baggage check-in on your behalf. If someone is flying Frontier (for example), they cannot use Resort Airline Check-In on their departure day but they can still use Magical Express to get to the airport. Those flying on an airline that doesn't participate in Resort Airline Check-In would just need to store their bags under the Magical Express bus and check them in themselves at the airport.

that was extremely helpful. hubby has flown before but it's been 15 years so he's not much help. I think ME is definitely for us even if we have just the 1 checked back. another question I thought of, how long does it take to get OFF of ME? I assume most buses are full, and each person has baggage of some sort, so once the bus stops, do we just wait inside until our bags are pulled? then head to check in?

Typically there isn’t a mass of people getting off at every stop. A few families will get off at each location (usually). It takes just minutes to exit the bus and get any luggage stowed underneath. Quick and painless.

I’ve been on full-ish buses but never packed to the gills.

Thank you all so much. I'm excited to "start" the magic as soon as we dump our baggage off at MSP! I think my daughter will really love the VIP type ride from the airport to the resort to. We have no plans to rent a vehicle because we love Disney transportation (I know I know) so for us ME seems to be a great choice! Thanks for the help!

Participating Airlines
  • Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Southwest Airlines
  • United Airlines
Yep, completely different service though. RAC is not Magical Express.

Thank you all so much. I'm excited to "start" the magic as soon as we dump our baggage off at MSP! I think my daughter will really love the VIP type ride from the airport to the resort to. We have no plans to rent a vehicle because we love Disney transportation (I know I know) so for us ME seems to be a great choice! Thanks for the help!
And they show cartoons on the bus. Interspersed with the trivia games and Disney park promo and informational videos.

We take ME every trip regardless of the length of stay, etc. You can choose to have the airport send your bags to your resort or take them with you on the bus. We've always brought our luggage on the bus. I'm always afraid the bags will get lost. Anyway the magic begins right at the airport which is awesome.

One thing to note is that the ME stops at a group of resorts depending on their geographic location. If you call Disney you might be able to get a sense of how many stops the ME makes before reaching your resort. We stayed at All Star Sports last fall and i believe it was the first or second stop.

If you call Disney you might be able to get a sense of how many stops the ME makes before reaching your resort.

There's no way for anyone, especially not a phone CM, to know how many resorts will be serviced by one bus in advance. These routes and groupings are dynamic based on where people are going.

If you call Disney you might be able to get a sense of how many stops the ME makes before reaching your resort.

Agree with PP that the phone CMs have no way to know this. Magical Express is operated by a third party vendor, Mears, so Disney wouldn't even be privy to this information. Mears likely wouldn't know or share this information, and it would be subject to change anyhow.

We've always brought our luggage on the bus. I'm always afraid the bags will get lost. Anyway the magic begins right at the airport which is awesome.
The bags stand much more of a chance of being lost by the airline. To me, it's a waste of time standing at baggage claim.

All Magical Express features work the same way for all airlines. This includes bringing your bags to the DME bus when returning home and, when beginning your vacation, the choice, during applicable hours, of having DME deliver your bags to your resort room.

If you are not flying, the features are still the same except that DME will not deliver bags to your room while you go to the parks, etc.

It all works seamlessly with your Disney vacation so you don't need to know whether it is Mears or BAGS Inc. (I, too, forget which) who delivers the bags to WDW under separate cover.

Going home, Resort Airline Check-in works the same way as curbside check in at the airport although RAC does not handle as many airlines.

Are you sure about that? I thought ME was available for anyone flying into MCO
You are 100% correct. If you are staying on property, it doesn't matter what airlines you fly. The only factor is-staying on disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter