Magical Express luggage delivery - disappointing experience.

Disney does and always has inform(ed) DME users to expect luggage delivered to the room within three hours of arriving at their respective resorts. Now, if that has officially changed, or if later at night they're waiting for more have to arrive, or any other ongoing or permanent procedure change, yes, Disney should disseminate the updated information.

Thank you, this was my initial point altogether. If the average is now 5 (according the the manager we spoke with at the Boardwalk) , then just say that 😊

Are you still there? Can you go talk to the manager again about this?

This somehow became a very long thread, so yes to repeat for new folks… The manager completely agreed that communication should have been better especially from Bell services at the Boardwalk. He was able to give us a small room credit for the inconvenience which we very much appreciated 😊

Thank you, this was my initial point altogether. If the average is now 5 (according the the manager we spoke with at the Boardwalk) , then just say that 😊
The thing is, despite your hearing it from a manager it’s not the new avg. Can it take that long? Sure. Will most find it takes that long? No. Not most guests. Maybe they should take the time off totally. Stress that guests should bring carry on bags with immediate needs instead.

We had the same issue earlier this year. At that time (don't know if it's been changed yet) all of the information said 3 hours, and that's what is always had been. Apparently they load everything into box trucks and make stops at numerous resorts. Personally I think they just have fewer workers/trucks doing this now so it's taking much longer. It's upsetting especially with all of the other cuts that have been going on over the past several years, along with now charging for resort parking. It's hard to believe that Disney is that desperate for money. I guess they need it for all of the expansion.

Bigger isn't always better. When is enough enough. Pretty soon they will be pricing people out and then business will slow. I'm always going to be a Disney fan but I'm much more choosy about my trips now.

We had the same issue earlier this year. At that time (don't know if it's been changed yet) all of the information said 3 hours, and that's what is always had been. Apparently they load everything into box trucks and make stops at numerous resorts. Personally I think they just have fewer workers/trucks doing this now so it's taking much longer. It's upsetting especially with all of the other cuts that have been going on over the past several years, along with now charging for resort parking. It's hard to believe that Disney is that desperate for money. I guess they need it for all of the expansion.

Bigger isn't always better. When is enough enough. Pretty soon they will be pricing people out and then business will slow. I'm always going to be a Disney fan but I'm much more choosy about my trips now.

Disney has no control over how many workers/trucks are used as it's another company that handles the luggage pick up and delivery.

Arrived at resort at 8:30, so still close to 5 hrs (1:15 am).

It’s one thing for them to be delayed. It’s another thing when you are waiting at 1:00 am and there is no one that can give you any idea of where the bags are and when they might arrive, other than “en route” which they began telling us at 11 pm.

It was super frustrating, that’s all.

I would imagine they kept telling you it was en route because it was...

Agreed. Based on my own experiences over the past few trips along with information from the Boardwalk manager I do believe they have significantly cut back on the number of trucks/trips. My guess is that Disney is now paying a lower fee to the third-party company to cut expenses. That is fine with me as long as they are upfront. Unfortunately, all the official communications still say 3 hours.

Agreed. Based on my own experiences over the past few trips along with information from the Boardwalk manager I do believe they have significantly cut back on the number of trucks/trips. My guess is that Disney is now paying a lower fee to the third-party company to cut expenses. That is fine with me as long as they are upfront. Unfortunately, all the official communications still say 3 hours.
You do realize how 3rd party contracts work, right? It's not a lower fee paid by Disney. It's a contract the vendor bids on.
I'm certain Disney has zero control over Bags Inc scheduling of their employees. Bags Inc bids for the work. If they bid low to get it, then reduce their staff because of that, Disney has nothing at all to do with that.
Come on now, Disney does enough wrong without laying blame on them for things they don't have anything to do with. It really gets old. Next I expect folks to blame Disney for the rain. They make enough money, they should be able to control the weather, right? I'm right there holding their feet to the fire when it's deserved. And it's deserved more than it should be. This just isn't one of those cases.

You do realize how 3rd party contracts work, right? It's not a lower fee paid by Disney. It's a contract the vendor bids on.
I'm certain Disney has zero control over Bags Inc scheduling of their employees. Bags Inc bids for the work. If they bid low to get it, then reduce their staff because of that, Disney has nothing at all to do with that.
Come on now, Disney does enough wrong without laying blame on them for things they don't have anything to do with. It really gets old. Next I expect folks to blame Disney for the rain. They make enough money, they should be able to control the weather, right? I'm right there holding their feet to the fire when it's deserved. And it's deserved more than it should be. This just isn't one of those cases.

I agree with much of what you say. However I’m certain that any Disney contract has Service standards built in and if the company doesn’t meet those standards Disney should find another provider.

I agree with much of what you say. However I’m certain that any Disney contract has Service standards built in and if the company doesn’t meet those standards Disney should find another provider.
Yes, without question.
I suspect that they are within the parameters of reasonable service even at a small percentage of guests getting bags at more then 3 hours. Plus, lets face it, no one, ever, is going to be able to say they can deliver every single bag within X amount of time. There are always exceptions. Weather can delay them. Airlines can delay them. There are a whole lot of variables they have to work with.

No different than the Mears contract to provide ME service. They have a wide range of time to deliver guests to the Resort. While no, they don't publish a number there is still going to be something provided in the contract. Some make it in less than 60 min, others more than 120. If you are one of those that makes it in 120, and you are using the bags service then even 5 hours after landing is not excessive.

I do agree with this. I used to manage contracted locations and I can tell you if a client like Disney is not happy with your work they will drop you in a minute. There’s definitely standards that must be met.

With that being said, it would take a lot more than a few slower late night drops to make them rethink an entire contract.

We used luggage delivery on our first family trip back in 2013. It took forever and ever and ever. I wasn't a fan of the process. I did not like waiting for my stuff to arrive and the truth is I couldn't really relax until I knew I had it. So since then, we grab our bags ourselves from the airport and bring them on Magical Express with us. Then we take them right to the room when we get to our resort. No big deal at all for us and we are a family of 5 and we usually have 5+ bags. I'd much rather have my "stuff" with me and that peace of mind is totally worth it, lesson learned 6+ years ago and have never looked back.

We used luggage delivery on our first family trip back in 2013. It took forever and ever and ever.
Could you be more specific, please? The definition of "forever" indicates you still haven't gotten the luggage from that trip.
When I said direct. I meant non stop. Get on plane in Columbus. Get off at MCO. One take off one landing. Only way to fly.
I understand what you meant, but if you told an sirline, travel agent, or other travel professional that you want direct flights, they could legitimately put you on a flight with multiple stops as long as you stayed on the same flight number.

The thing is, consumers don't get to redefine terminology. All non-stop flights are direct*. Not all direct flights are non-stop.

*barring unexpected situations, i.e. on a different Las Vegas trip, the plane had to stop in Denver to refuel (then be de-iced, then be de-iced again just before takeoff...)

So it boils down to, do what makes you happy. Let DME take your bags if you want. Pick them up yourself if you want. But always pack for the first 24 hours in your carry-on. The airline is way more likely to misplace your luggage than DME is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts