Magical Express

JANBERRY

Earning My Ears
Hi,
Just planning our 2013 SSR trip and was wondering if anybody had used the 'magical express'. If we used it, it would mean not needing to hire a car for as long. Also does anybody know the procedure for return to the airport. Would it still be better to check in with Virgin at Downtown Disney?
Would be grateful for any advice.

Have never used Magic Express as DVC member...yet ;-).

It is a very easy transfer to and from the resort, don't know about SSR but normally only a couple of drop offs (on-site so no issue really). Return trip, they leave a collection time in your room 24 hours before departure. Usually you get picked up at main building 4 hours or so before departure.

Never had any problems in a dozen or so trips but not to say its always as smooth as we have found it.

Oh yeah, sorry, we still use downtown Disney virgin check in.

If your not going to need a car then Magical express is great, it's pretty straight forward too.
We are pretty rubbish at not having a car, the last twice we had magical express and decided not to have a car for the first week and on both occasions after 3 days we ended up renting a car!

We don't usually use checkin at DTD anymore, we checkin online the night before and then do bag drop at the airport. If you are using Magical express you have to take the cases on the resort bus or taxi to get to DTD, too much hassle if you ask me.

We use ME on arrival as we collect the car the next day from the car car centre as it avoids the long lines at the airport plus we can have a drink on the flight. Always found it really easy process.

On return we prefer to use OLCI rather than pay for DTD and arrival at the airport later to do bag drop. We return the car at the airport too as ME is 4 hours before the flight which is too much wasted time! They always leave a letter on our door the day before with our departure time but never get the coach!

We have travelled without a car (used town car service though not ME for transfers) but issue is the same re DTD check in. We still used this as it gets rid of your cases, ensures you can check your seat assignment early, allows you potentially to upgrade if they have availability (we almost always pay for extra leg room seats in economy for about £80 for 4 - more space than PE if you get no one in front of you), and means you don't have to get to the airport so early. It costs you the price of a taxi. We have had a car the last three trips and still do the DTD check in. This year we are having a car and using ME for the first time. Theory is DH collects small cheap SUV from the airport and me and the kids and luggage use ME. Will save us £250 on the car getting a smaller one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!