Main Street Cinema Now A Store

I doubt that you were part of the "homeless problem"! The Cinema was a good meeting spot because it was so easy to find, even for first timers.

No problem for anyone enjoying the cartoons and resting for a bit -- that was one of the joys of the Cinema! (And hopefully is again now that the merchandise has been removed!) But when all the benches were taken up by snoring guests and their baggage (think Fred Flintstone surrounded by loads of Disney bags) and rambunctious kids with oblivious parents yakking on their phones, there was just no peace in there! We went in there on a Grand Circle Tour and the guide almost had to yell to be heard over the phone yakkers and rowdy kids.

Yes, the problem was not with people sitting on a bench to watch Steamboat Willie or Plane Crazy, it was with the kids and teens laying on the floor or on that center platform, clothes draped over the railing, camping out in there. It was really weird to see that.

I'm glad this batch of merchandise was taken out. It looked so out of place. Now, if they set up merch tastefully (maybe make it look like a theater concession stand) and sold items themed to that era of films, I would feel fine with that.

I agree. I'm not opposed to merchandise in there, but that set up (with the tables) didn't mesh with the space. It came across as a quick fix....

Any fixtures there should organically fix with the space & the merchandise should be items you can't get in the other Mean Street stores. If it were tied specifically to Steamboat or Plane Crazy, I would be fine with it.

Sounds like the merch is being removed, at least for now, but they might still be exploring ways to get more people into the space.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201906/6843/

I love this idea given in the article you linked:
"Want a better quickie "fix?" How about installing a popcorn machine, selling an exclusive flavor that rotates every few days and is sold only in the Main Street Cinema? And annual pass holders would get a free "popcorn button" for that flavor with a purchase. Fans could come in to get the special popcorn flavor (quick, someone call Tokyo Disney for some recipes!) and munch away while watching the shorts."

I also agree with the final sentiment in this article- if Disney is really interested in increasing foot traffic but also concerned with keeping the cinema intact (as I hope they are!) they will need to invest more thought and money into the project. And that doesn't seem to be in keeping with the current trends at the park.

Disney says it didn't cave to outrage from fans on social media. Yeah, OK.

Well, most likely they weren't selling much in there. If they had been, I doubt any amount of griping on the Internet would have gotten the store removed. It was likely a combination of poor sales and public reaction.

I do like the idea of a popcorn stand in there. It would make the place smell amazing, and there would be a CM or two around to clear out the campground.

Well, most likely they weren't selling much in there. If they had been, I doubt any amount of griping on the Internet would have gotten the store removed. It was likely a combination of poor sales and public reaction.

I do like the idea of a popcorn stand in there. It would make the place smell amazing, and there would be a CM or two around to clear out the campground.

The popcorn stand idea totally makes sense, I mean... it's a cinema and Disney sells popcorn.

Why not?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter