Main Street Cinema Now A Store

Just like the rest of you, I don't like this change -- but I agree that the "homeless" guest behavior in the Cinema, both teenagers and adults, was becoming a problem. Disney probably thought changing the Cinema into a shop was the easiest solution that didn't involve any enforcement or security chasing the sleepers/campers out of there. We've also seen out of control kids in there, e.g. kids running, yelling, and hitting, like the parents thought the Cinema was a sort of playground. Again, a shop makes that sort of thing more difficult and DL makes a profit. Win, win from management's view.
That looks.....awkward.
I agree that something needed to be done, but I wonder if they couldn't have a CM monitoring it and not have it be another retail space. Or maybe they tried that?

That looks.....awkward.
I agree that something needed to be done, but I wonder if they couldn't have a CM monitoring it and not have it be another retail space. Or maybe they tried that?
I'm not defending the change, in fact I'm not in favor of it.

That said, just putting a CM in there to monitor the place would cost money. As long as they have to pay someone to be there, they may as well use that CM to generate some money.

I'm not defending the change, in fact I'm not in favor of it.

That said, just putting a CM in there to monitor the place would cost money. As long as they have to pay someone to be there, they may as well use that CM to generate some money.

It looks like they have 2 CMs standing outside though

That is sad. I remember when we lost the one at WDW. I still miss it. A cool place to hang out watch out cartoons and escape the heat.

So after seeing what they did with it - throwing up some merch tables, it just looks cheap and tacky - I am changing my position. I also heard another DL vlogger make the point that DL needs quiet spaces as much as it needs bustling shops in order for guests to catch their breath, and I completely agree. So count me as disappointed that they made this change, and I hope they go back to the original format for the cinema. The video screens are stll there - it wouldn't take much to return it to the original format. (I also wasn't aware that it was an original attraction...)

Last edited:
I think Disney should rotate different cartoons, animated films etc in this spot. Have a ticket for it, but not turn it into what they are now doing.

Just like the rest of you, I don't like this change -- but I agree that the "homeless" guest behavior in the Cinema, both teenagers and adults, was becoming a problem. Disney probably thought changing the Cinema into a shop was the easiest solution that didn't involve any enforcement or security chasing the sleepers/campers out of there. We've also seen out of control kids in there, e.g. kids running, yelling, and hitting, like the parents thought the Cinema was a sort of playground. Again, a shop makes that sort of thing more difficult and DL makes a profit. Win, win from management's view.

Oh wow, you're probably right. I didn't even think of that.

I have often wondered why they did not provide some sort of seating in there. I visit the Cinema when I want to get out of the heat. It is a treat to watch the old toons while taking a break inside a nice air conditioned space. The only drawback is you have to stand up the whole time. I am very disappointed they are now selling merch in the Cinema, and evidently it is the exact same merch you can get in any other store on MS. Big bummer.

I have often wondered why they did not provide some sort of seating in there. I visit the Cinema when I want to get out of the heat. It is a treat to watch the old toons while taking a break inside a nice air conditioned space. The only drawback is you have to stand up the whole time. I am very disappointed they are now selling merch in the Cinema, and evidently it is the exact same merch you can get in any other store on MS. Big bummer.

I think they didn't provide seating for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned by other posters - not wanting people to camp out in there forever. Especially on really hot days, I could see a bench in a dark, air-conditioned room being occupied for hours. Not that I think having a haven like this would be bad, but I don't think that was Disney's intended purpose for the cinema. Requiring people to stand encourages them to stay for shorter periods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter