Main Street Theater project cancelled?

As I mentioned in the new thread,.....the reason for cancelling will be telling. I'm hoping it's because they are going to put in another attraction there, not because of budget considerations.
I am not sure what else they would put there. This is likely budget related.

If not budget....

possible causes:
Location of the theater might cause a bigger bottleneck than they thought....which would make it counterproductive.
Location geography might not be suitable....famous florida sinkholes
Something else is wanted in that spot. Perhaps a tomorrowland expansion? Long shot
Theater going some other location.

My thought is when you let out a showing at that theater, it could overwhelm an already busy main street area. Theater is a good idea, but maybe move it.

whoe things seems very interesting to me as this was one of the things that wasn't rumored at all before D23 but was a highlight mentioned, etc. and then for them to about face so quickly seems a bit odd

Wonder if it was something less certain but they wanted to include some surprises that hadn't gotten out at D23?

Though probably is just budget as they saw the total investments across the entire complex and maybe didn't see the return on this vs other projects (I mean, whole new area of MK, infrastructure, etc., large building and then all the performing CMs - not a cheap undertaking and I would think not going to attract as many people (and thus won't have the return on investment) of, say the Tron coaster

This would have been very far down the design road, too. They already had the permits, didn't they?

If not budget....

possible causes:
Location of the theater might cause a bigger bottleneck than they thought....which would make it counterproductive.
Location geography might not be suitable....famous florida sinkholes
Something else is wanted in that spot. Perhaps a tomorrowland expansion? Long shot
Theater going some other location.

My thought is when you let out a showing at that theater, it could overwhelm an already busy main street area. Theater is a good idea, but maybe move it.

I believe they were doing site prep - so maybe once they started they just realized it wouldn't work out in real life in the location - as you had other structures there and then the back of the building on main st to deal with and who knows about infrastructure, etc.

I mean, anything can be overcome but maybe they realized it wouldn't be as easy as they thought (and thus the budget would need to be increased)

I really hope this is just a rumor with no basis or is just a matter of the location didn't end up working out for some reason and plan to move it elsewhere. I agree that if it was cancelled due to budget that it is a very bad sign as I'd imagine a theatre would be one of the cheapest projects in the timeline. Though I suppose they could be viewing it as well that they needed to trim budget for the 50th anniversary projects down and the theatre was the one that would draw in the least amount of guests compared to bigger projects like Tron and GotG. I just hope that if this is the case they are just going to postpone it a bit instead of flat out cancelling it.

To be fair, they are doing a LOT of building. It wouldn't take much for all the projects to be a little over budget, resulting in cutting something that hasn't started yet.

To be fair, they are doing a LOT of building. It wouldn't take much for all the projects to be a little over budget, resulting in cutting something that hasn't started yet.

That's true if everything is even 5% over budget, that is a lot of $ in total (and projects can get a LOT more than 5% over pretty quickly)

Per reports they have cleared the construction walls down, which is why this is being supposed.

this is a huge loss, and I have to believe one of two issues - Budget and the decision to put the money elsewhere or something was found in the site prep, that made it either too difficult or too expensive to continue. IF this is actually cancelled that is. Still not confirmed.

Per reports they have cleared the construction walls down, which is why this is being supposed.

this is a huge loss, and I have to believe one of two issues - Budget and the decision to put the money elsewhere or something was found in the site prep, that made it either too difficult or too expensive to continue. IF this is actually cancelled that is. Still not confirmed.
Disney doesn’t always come out and say if something is cancelled tho.

I think they will have a hard time making this one go away quietly since it was a big announcement. And I think site prep is the problem here. I think they found something unexpected in that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter