Main Street Theater project cancelled?

Another thing we lose with this project is how it would have added more square footage of walkways to the park. I know they can still open the shortcut for big crowds, but this would have made that path a permanent part of the park.

I'm not one that loves going to see those plays, but this would have been a great overall addition to the park. Of all the D23 announcements, this probably wasn't even in my Top 5 things I was looking forward to, but I'm pretty bummed.

ETA: Since this post, it has been explained that the path connection I describe was not really part of this project.

Last edited:
How can it be money?? I'm not doubting you but HOW!? They're basically printing money and have about 100 things planned for the next four years... if they're scaling back on these small projects what's in store for the big ones? It just doesn't make sense.

While they are obviously making money you still have to have a budget, even if very high you can't go into building without a budget and you need to estimate the return on that investment - maybe they felt the building would be more problematic and thus more expensive than they thought ... maybe they did some polling and found that interest wasn't as high for this as others - meaning it wouldn't draw crowds (and thus increase revenue) to pay for the building and all of the performers it would take.

Assuming this is true and that it is not being built in that location or anywhere I will be very disappointed - but at the same time you can't just say "they make a lot of money so it shouldn't matter how much they spend on building things!"

Another thing we lose with this project is how it would have added more square footage of walkways to the park. I know they can still open the shortcut for big crowds, but this would have made that path a permanent part of the park.

I'm not one that loves going to see those plays, but this would have been a great overall addition to the park. Of all the D23 announcements, this probably wasn't even in my Top 5 things I was looking forward to, but I'm pretty bummed.

Though it wasn't clear from the concept art how that would have worked - it didn't show a path going all the way up near the Tomorrowland Terrace ... so maybe they realized it would have made things worse, not better at least with the current plan

I agree a separate pathway (like the Edison Square project) would be great - but wasn't clear exactly how that would have worked with this

Though it wasn't clear from the concept art how that would have worked - it didn't show a path going all the way up near the Tomorrowland Terrace ... so maybe they realized it would have made things worse, not better at least with the current plan

I agree a separate pathway (like the Edison Square project) would be great - but wasn't clear exactly how that would have worked with this
I thought one of the permit drawings showed the path going up to Tomorrow Land, but that's going to be hard for me to prove because I don't remember where I saw it.

I thought one of the permit drawings showed the path going up to Tomorrow Land, but that's going to be hard for me to prove because I don't remember where I saw it.

it may have, but it seemed like more of a "this is an area with a big theater and the area outside is for those waiting to get in" more than a "this is a 2nd avenue designed to alleviate crowds that happens to have a theater" - at least to me

it may have, but it seemed like more of a "this is an area with a big theater and the area outside is for those waiting to get in" more than a "this is a 2nd avenue designed to alleviate crowds that happens to have a theater" - at least to me
I found the permit pics and they don't show what I remembered, so I must have imagined it. Then it's not as big of a loss as I thought, I guess.

I found the permit pics and they don't show what I remembered, so I must have imagined it. Then it's not as big of a loss as I thought, I guess.
Looking at the permit drawing it looks like it serves both purposes. You can see the TomorrowLand passage and at the lower end a gate to the bottom end of Main Street exactly where the current bypass does.

If the rumor of reallocating money is true, then it could be good....or not quite as good.

It's a bummer if it's a budget cut to compensate for overages elsewhere.
If it leads to another yet to be announced project, and they had to choose timing or ROI, then I think life is still good.

I think the concept of the theater in Magic Kingdom is good. To be honest, I would be just as happy if the money was transferred to EPCOT to renew a pavilion, and turn one into a theater of similar scope.

I want new content in the parks, but A loathe having dormant attraction buildings. Moving the concept to Epcot could kill two birds with one stone.

Bottom line, a priority has shifted. Either it was for operation concerns, or financial concerns. I'll be curious to see if we have any announcements for something new, as I doubt they'll announce they've tabled this project.

It was a good idea to have a nice theater with quality productions in MK but perhaps now isn't the right time. They can definitely use that money elsewhere.

Meanwhile, in the future, shows like that might fit better in DHS. I know they already have a lot of shows there but perhaps they could cut or consolidate a few, focusing on or two high quality shows as the park builds out more. A nice new theater would really help with that I'm sure. But of course the theming would have to be more LA and less middle America.

IF the rumor of move to a new attraction in MK in Adventure land is true, then it makes sense. They need some more pull once Tron goes in next to Space Mountain, and if they redo speedway as well. Something to pull and give some relief to Splash and BTMRR as well. I just hope it is not the idea that was rumored to be put on Tom Sawyer island....

IF the rumor of move to a new attraction in MK in Adventure land is true, then it makes sense. They need some more pull once Tron goes in next to Space Mountain, and if they redo speedway as well. Something to pull and give some relief to Splash and BTMRR as well. I just hope it is not the idea that was rumored to be put on Tom Sawyer island....
That's not really adventureland though.

I suppose the swiss family Robinson tree house, could be sacrificed for something else. Jungle cruise while a classic, takes up quite a bit of space for the number of people it serves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter