Main Street Theater project cancelled?

Well, then RIP Tom Sawyer's Island.
Yeah, that is my fear. Martin at WDWMagic.com has stated one option for expansion in Frontier land was roller coaster on TSI. One of many options...

In rumor thread one insider "leak" says its a open air theater for Moana show.

If MagicFeather is right, and the budget is getting some added $$ I have to believe its for a ride. Especially if its to eat up crowd.

I also don't think Jungle Cruise is at risk, as they are moving forward with the movie with the Rock.

I suppose the swiss family Robinson tree house, could be sacrificed for something else. Jungle cruise while a classic, takes up quite a bit of space for the number of people it serves.
They could pull a DL and put a really long but narrow queue between Pirates and Jungle Cruise to a new ride building south of the parade floats.

It makes no practical sense, but I'd love the identical Indy ride. I know it was rumored at AK.....but a narrow corridor to an indoor attraction could work....heck you could turn the tree house into the queue.

I think Tom Sawyer's real estate makes the most sense. I don't think a coaster makes sense. Though a "Westward expansion" ride like what was envisioned might be just the ticket for that spot. That being said, I don't think that area will be the cheapest place to build anything.

The rumor just posted in the other thread indicated the new attraction "on the West side of MK" so perhaps doesn't have to be Adventureland
Oh boy. The ole "volcano roller coaster" rumor is about reappear...

ETA: @TheMaxRebo After I wrote this, I saw you posted something similar in the News thread. :rotfl2:

A part of the Utilidoor is under that area, or very, very close. I wonder if they just couldn't find a way to make the existing Utilidoor area and the infrastructure required for the theater to work once they got in there and started prepping the site.

Usually Friday is the day for a news dump. I wouldn't expect Disney to come out and say "Oh we cancelled this". I would expect if they announce something it will be covered up by some new offering.
I know. Friday is usually blu-ray news day and I swear they’re dragging their feet on the last Jedi’s announcement
Yeah, that is my fear. Martin at WDWMagic.com has stated one option for expansion in Frontier land was roller coaster on TSI. One of many options...

If MagicFeather is right, and the budget is getting some added $$ I have to believe its for a ride. Especially if its to eat up crowd.

I also don't think Jungle Cruise is at risk, as they are moving forward with the movie with the Rock.
I don’t know I kind of like the idea of a coaster on Tom Sawyer island. But part of me is like Martin should just stick to tributes because his schedule is way too short

Magic Kingdom needs shows and I'm all for an outdoor theatre one. There's enough rides in magic kingdom

If it’s outdoor it’ll have to be completely covered with shade structures or it’ll be too hot for the performers and audience, unless it’s a very short show. I think an indoor theatre would be better- then you can have a broadway style show, and give guests an escape from the brutal summer heat that lasts more than half the year. I’m surprised they even run the castle show and parade in the middle of the day during the summer. Can you imagine wearing one of those fur costumes in feels like 90+ with 100% humidity? I don’t like even walking to my car after work in the summer weather.

I was wondering if the rumored cancelation had to do with the availability of talent in Orlando. The Aladdin and Frozen cast at the Hyperion are very good and of course there is a very large talent pool in LA available to fill these roles. Perhaps the availability and cost of staffing this large of a production in Orlando on a continual basis is an issue.

I was wondering if the rumored cancelation had to do with the availability of talent in Orlando. The Aladdin and Frozen cast at the Hyperion are very good and of course there is a very large talent pool in LA available to fill these roles. Perhaps the availability and cost of staffing this large of a production in Orlando on a continual basis is an issue.

Uh oh, there isn’t talent in Orlando? This post is ripe for responses.....

Uh oh, there isn’t talent in Orlando? This post is ripe for responses.....
Oh, there's definitely talent in Orlando, but not the same massive pool that you have in LA. I'm sure with the level of talent you need, these large casts can be very expensive.

An open air theater sounds like a terrible idea. It is too hot and rain becomes a concern too.

I believe they canceled the Main Street Theater due to an emergency overhaul of the monorails. After the recent incident on the monorails with the doors opening up, I believe Disney Parks finally decided this is a major issue and needed to be addressed. They came up with a plan and an estimated budget, then they were forced to decide which of the not yet started projects would be least exciting to scrap or put on hold for now. The most logical answer would be the Main Street Theater. (and possibly the rumored Stitch replacement?) If this is true I would be very excited and I believe a majority of the Disney Park fans would be pleased to hear of a monorail update.

I believe they canceled the Main Street Theater due to an emergency overhaul of the monorails. After the recent incident on the monorails with the doors opening up, I believe Disney Parks finally decided this is a major issue and needed to be addressed. They came up with a plan and an estimated budget, then they were forced to decide which of the not yet started projects would be least exciting to scrap or put on hold for now. The most logical answer would be the Main Street Theater. (and possibly the rumored Stitch replacement?) If this is true I would be very excited and I believe a majority of the Disney Park fans would be pleased to hear of a monorail update.
I don't believe the two correlate.

An open air theater sounds like a terrible idea. It is too hot and rain becomes a concern too.

Indy, B&tB, the UP bird show, and formerly LMA were all open air. I don't think the first 2 cancel unless there is lightening. Either way, Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with them.

Indy, B&tB, the UP bird show, and formerly LMA were all open air. I don't think the first 2 cancel unless there is lightening. Either way, Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with them.

I agree, there are plenty of outdoor shows, and people don';t seem to mind the heat and humidity (even when I'm there in August) but that isn't the the kind of environment they can do a Broadway-style show on with all the lighting, effects, and rigging that they used for Aladdin and Frozen at the Hyperion at DCA (or even the cruise ships).

Oh, I realize that they do them, but they haven’t built a new one is a while and have been moving toward keeping everything in show buildings.

I also never doubted that they could be doing this, I mean, who knows? But, as I said, it just seems like a bad idea, to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter