maintenance fees

smurphym

Earning My Ears
been crunching the numbers for quite awhile. probably gonna purchase resale. the only question I have is regarding maintenance fee increases. I believe there's a cap on how much they can increase each year. can someone please tell me how much that cap is? and in your opinion, what is the average increase each year. THANK YOU

been crunching the numbers for quite awhile. probably gonna purchase resale. the only question I have is regarding maintenance fee increases. I believe there's a cap on how much they can increase each year. can someone please tell me how much that cap is? and in your opinion, what is the average increase each year. THANK YOU
So the cap is 15% a year and doesn’t include taxes. Also this cap can be overruled by a certain set of actions (believe some votes and DVCMC controls the votes). Also here is a post that shows the average increases the last couple years along with the average increase for each resort since inception.

So here are the dues history:

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...content/2494-historical-annual-dues-by-resort

And here is an idea for the average annual YOY due increase for each resort for 2017 to 2019 (only the copper creek timeline):

View attachment 401225

For fun here is the average yearly increase in dues since inception for each resort

View attachment 401236

So the cap is 15% a year and doesn’t include taxes. Also this cap can be overruled by a certain set of actions (believe some votes and DVCMC controls the votes). Also here is a post that shows the average increases the last couple years along with the average increase for each resort since inception.
perfect, thank you very much

In 22 years our annual fees have gone from right about (or a little under) $3 a point. Now they are closing in on $7 a point.

Yeah I love using the inflation calculator with regard to Disney pricing. During my High School trip the GF cost $205 per night, that would be $424 today. o_O

MFs are rising faster than inflation because the costs of things that impact MFs are rising faster than inflation - for example, health insurance for employees, salaries for executives, etc. Hopefully people wake up soon and realize we are all being screwed by the system.

MFs are rising faster than inflation because the costs of things that impact MFs are rising faster than inflation - for example, health insurance for employees, salaries for executives, etc.

I think this is the thing that generally gets left out of these threads. US inflation is just an average. Not everything increases by inflation every year. It's a general average made up of many different goods and services. Somethings increase by more than inflation. Other's increase by less than inflation. Some even increase by exactly the same amount as inflation.

In the case of maintenance fees, these do not go back into Disney's pockets. They are used to cover the expenses of running the property we own. MF outpacing inflation is not about Disney greed. It's more about the goods and services related to running the resort are outpacing inflation. Now, it could be fair to challenge management on their spending habits. Are they finding the cheapest/best contractors around. Is there spending in line with the owner's expectations....

MFs are rising faster than inflation because the costs of things that impact MFs are rising faster than inflation - for example, health insurance for employees, salaries for executives, etc. Hopefully people wake up soon and realize we are all being screwed by the system.
The growth in health care cost has really decelerated over the last decade. They are rising at their slowest pace overall since at least the 1960's. In four of the last five years healthcare inflation has been lower than the overall inflation rate. For some reason 95% of the public doesn't realize this.

The growth in health care cost has really decelerated over the last decade. They are rising at their slowest pace overall since at least the 1960's. In four of the last five years healthcare inflation has been lower than the overall inflation rate. For some reason 95% of the public doesn't realize this.

Probably because the costs remain ridiculous.

They may be growing more slowly, but it's a little like saying your giant tumor has slowed down in growth.

I've owned at BWV since 1999. Typical has been 3%-4%. 2019 was 8% because of the increase in housekeeper salaries.

I just look at the current rack rates for rooms and say thank goodness I have DVC.

If you truly feel this way, the logical thing to do would be to sell your membership and get out while you can

We've owned since 1999 and do not feel that we are "getting screwed". Don't like all the changes, but we still enjoy visiting WDW and like DebbieB are happy we have DVC,

Every year it seems like something "pops" in the DVC dues. One year the county decides to goose the property values, sending taxes higher. Then it's transportation (fuel) costs. Then a hurricane hits and insurance rates go up. (I guess it's not all that different than owning a house...there's always something...)

Right now Disney is in the midst of a multi-year commitment to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour. 2020 and 2021 dues are likely to again see rather high percentage rate increases as a result.

These same cost increases apply to all of the hotels Disney operates, so their rates keep going higher too. Disney can use discounting to give the impression that the blow is being softened--during periods when business is slow. But I think few people are flexible enough to tailor their travel schedules to dates and locations which are discounted.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...-approve-contract-for-15-minimum-wage-by-2021

If you truly feel this way, the logical thing to do would be to sell your membership and get out while you can

We've owned since 1999 and do not feel that we are "getting screwed". Don't like all the changes, but we still enjoy visiting WDW and like DebbieB are happy we have DVC,

By "the system," I do not mean DVC. I am perfectly happy with DVC. What I am not happy with are other things that are not topics for this message board.

OKWBWVVBHHIWL-BRVBCVSSRAKVBLTVGCAulVGFPolyWL-CCV
3.9%​
2.9%​
4.5%​
4.5%​
3.8%​
3.7%​
3.8%​
4.1%​
5.7%​
5.1%​
4.0%​
3.4%​
3.0%​
2.2%​

So the table above shows the average dues increase for each resort across the life of the contract. This is average % year over year - not % across entire life. (I say this because a 5% increase on $4 dues is very different from 5% increase on $8 dues.) Obviously a resort like OKW there is 25 years worth of dues increases, versus WL-CCV which is only 1 year of increases. Last year the average increase was 7.6% which was the highest in history thanks to the new wage contract for employees (which the dues have to cover) with some resorts as high as 10% which was rough I would expect 2020 increases to be more in line with the averages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!