Make me feel good about my stateroom please....

My title was stated to make me feel good about my stateroom. Not feel bad about about having concerns as a mom.
As we all know DCL isn’t cheap. I could do Caribbean cheaper if it was just about that.

I believe that you have not understood my point.

All of the staterooms are nice overall. Some have a little more room, some have a verandah, some have a Murphy bed... But, they're all reasonably comfortable and quiet. When you book a cruise, you shouldn't be overly focused on the stateroom for anything beyond sleeping comfort as you will not be spending a lot of time in the room while you're awake.

We purposely booked a lower cost inside stateroom for an upcoming cruise because we were only adding it to the end of an already-planned trip as a bit of "bonus" time. This inside stateroom has no direct view of the ocean (our last one had a verandah) and is much smaller than the one we had previously as well. While we did enjoy sitting on the verandah at night for a little while, sometimes with a glass of wine, we spent 98% of our waking hours somewhere else on the ship. So, while a verandah or a direct view of the ocean (not a magic porthole) is "nice", what ultimately matters is being on the cruise enjoying all that it has to offer.

Many people believe that mid-ship and lower decks are best for reducing the chances of sea sickness. I can't give you a lot of useful feedback here because I haven't yet been on a cruise that has impacted me like this (and my December 2014 trip on the Dream was definitely in rougher seas and I was in 10624). If your concern is directly related to whether or not they're going to get seasick, no one here can truly help you in any way other than to recommend that you talk with their physician about the different medicines that might be available to them (Meclazine, Bonine, Scopolomine) and try them well BEFORE the cruise for each child to understand what side effects they might cause. Have them with you when you cruise "in case".

There is simply no way to know whether they are susceptible to motion sickness or whether a particular room will be any better or any worse for them. You'll have to sail with them to see what happens.

I believe that you have not understood my point.

All of the staterooms are nice overall. Some have a little more room, some have a verandah, some have a Murphy bed... But, they're all reasonably comfortable and quiet. When you book a cruise, you shouldn't be overly focused on the stateroom for anything beyond sleeping comfort as you will not be spending a lot of time in the room while you're awake.

We purposely booked a lower cost inside stateroom for an upcoming cruise because we were only adding it to the end of an already-planned trip as a bit of "bonus" time. This inside stateroom has no direct view of the ocean (our last one had a verandah) and is much smaller than the one we had previously as well. While we did enjoy sitting on the verandah at night for a little while, sometimes with a glass of wine, we spent 98% of our waking hours somewhere else on the ship. So, while a verandah or a direct view of the ocean (not a magic porthole) is "nice", what ultimately matters is being on the cruise enjoying all that it has to offer.

Many people believe that mid-ship and lower decks are best for reducing the chances of sea sickness. I can't give you a lot of useful feedback here because I haven't yet been on a cruise that has impacted me like this (and my December 2014 trip on the Dream was definitely in rougher seas and I was in 10624). If your concern is directly related to whether or not they're going to get seasick, no one here can truly help you in any way other than to recommend that you talk with their physician about the different medicines that might be available to them (Meclazine, Bonine, Scopolomine) and try them well BEFORE the cruise for each child to understand what side effects they might cause. Have them with you when you cruise "in case".

There is simply no way to know whether they are susceptible to motion sickness or whether a particular room will be any better or any worse for them. You'll have to sail with them to see what happens.
Thank you!i I do appreciate the feedback. As a family of 5 we just have less options. I would have been fine with connecting inside cabins and a lower deck had it worked out better financially. i just couldn’t see paying over $7000 for two insides when one oceanview was less than $6000.
Thank you for the suggestions on medicine. My middle child is more prone to queasiness and car sickness. Last time he threw up one mile from Disney world entrance after a few hour ride. ;(
And I am glad it isn’t aft. Your experience there sounds awful

I used to get carsick as a child, but only when sitting in the back seat. I've never had an issue on a plane or a ship, although a deep sea fishing excursion once left me a bit green.

Every person is different, every experience is different. The best you can do is plan for bad situations (like if they get seasick) while hoping that it doesn't happen.

Personally, I wouldn't even talk to them about it - I wouldn't want to create a self-fulfilling prophecy for any of them. Have them try the medicines without getting into any of the details and just watch for side effects. Talk with a physician before you try ANY of them to make sure they would be recommend specific ones or advise against.

OP, for our family's first 7 night cruise on the Fantasy (we did a few shorter cruises prior to that), we were in cabin 7514 which is pretty much in the same location as yours one deck down. We are a family of 5 as well and ended up loving it! So much that we booked that same room or vicinity on other cruises as well. We were fine with the motion in the room. I'm the only one in my family that gets queasy on cruises and take a Bonine each day and I'm fine. For some reason, it seems like younger kids aren't as affected by the motion as adults are. (Always good to be prepared just in case...)
We all sleep so well at night with the gentle motion of the ship!
The cabin is pretty spacious and very well laid out to organize all your family's needs. The split bathroom is great and I ended up showering and getting dressed for dinners at Senses (the spa)~ which is so conveniently located to your cabin if you choose to use that option. The kids will LOVE the porthole. I think it's a great location and I think you would be fine with it! :flower3:

My preferred room on the new ships is only 5 doors down from yours, so as for location, I would say it is fine. Yes, when you go somewhere aft, it seems like a long walk but really, its not so bad. In fact once we stayed aft and I noticed I actually missed the walk from the clubs back to the room at night. There's something about walking above a quite, deserted atrium that I enjoy. :)

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy, Deck 9 forward on the port side. The next door farther forward was crew access only, so we couldn't have been more forward.

The cruise was great! My wife and daughter both have motion sickness issues, but there were no problems. We did take a Bonine every morning.

Ours was an Ocean View with the big port hole, we all loved laying in the window to read or just watch the waves.

Last edited:
I used to get carsick as a child, but only when sitting in the back seat. I've never had an issue on a plane or a ship, although a deep sea fishing excursion once left me a bit green.

Every person is different, every experience is different. The best you can do is plan for bad situations (like if they get seasick) while hoping that it doesn't happen.

Personally, I wouldn't even talk to them about it - I wouldn't want to create a self-fulfilling prophecy for any of them. Have them try the medicines without getting into any of the details and just watch for side effects. Talk with a physician before you try ANY of them to make sure they would be recommend specific ones or advise against.
Will do, thank you.

OP, for our family's first 7 night cruise on the Fantasy (we did a few shorter cruises prior to that), we were in cabin 7514 which is pretty much in the same location as yours one deck down. We are a family of 5 as well and ended up loving it! So much that we booked that same room or vicinity on other cruises as well. We were fine with the motion in the room. I'm the only one in my family that gets queasy on cruises and take a Bonine each day and I'm fine. For some reason, it seems like younger kids aren't as affected by the motion as adults are. (Always good to be prepared just in case...)
We all sleep so well at night with the gentle motion of the ship!
The cabin is pretty spacious and very well laid out to organize all your family's needs. The split bathroom is great and I ended up showering and getting dressed for dinners at Senses (the spa)~ which is so conveniently located to your cabin if you choose to use that option. The kids will LOVE the porthole. I think it's a great location and I think you would be fine with it! :flower3:
Thank you! Didn’t even think about how it may help us sleep!

I have never sailed in a concierge cabin, but I would think since those cabins are all forward on the Dream class ships, then it must be a good location. After all, they cost a lot more than regular cabins, so Disney isn't going to put them in a location that is more likely to make people seasick. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I get seasick, but it's not the location of the ship that causes it for me, it's the condition of the seas. If I feel ill I suck on ginger candy and go outside for fresh air, usually makes me feel a lot better. I can't wear the patch because of other health issues, so I also take Bonine and wear sea bands. Someone else mentioned how little kids don't get seasick as much as adults. I was worried before our dd went on her first cruise. Her dr told us that kid's ears aren't formed all the way yet, so they don't feel movement the same as adults. It's why a little kid can spin around in circles and still feel ok, I just watch my dd on a spinning ride and get sick!

My daughter and I both get very carsick, but we have never gotten sick on any of our cruises. We usually stay deck 2 midship, but our last cruise on the Fantasy we didn't get a room choice and were assigned 9009. I was worried because it was all the way forward and much higher than we'd ever been. We loved it and had no issues at all. We both wear sea bands when we think we might get sick. My daughter even wears them in the car when we are going on a long trip or a winding road.

I have never sailed in a concierge cabin, but I would think since those cabins are all forward on the Dream class ships, then it must be a good location. After all, they cost a lot more than regular cabins, so Disney isn't going to put them in a location that is more likely to make people seasick. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I get seasick, but it's not the location of the ship that causes it for me, it's the condition of the seas. If I feel ill I suck on ginger candy and go outside for fresh air, usually makes me feel a lot better. I can't wear the patch because of other health issues, so I also take Bonine and wear sea bands. Someone else mentioned how little kids don't get seasick as much as adults. I was worried before our dd went on her first cruise. Her dr told us that kid's ears aren't formed all the way yet, so they don't feel movement the same as adults. It's why a little kid can spin around in circles and still feel ok, I just watch my dd on a spinning ride and get sick!
Those are certainly is a very good points - Thanks for sharing that reminder!

OP, we are booked on the same cruise. We are also a family of 5 and I don’t trust my kids who will be 3 and 5 near a balcony. We are in room 8668. After reading this thread I am afraid of the vibration being in the aft.
Oh well. We booked this spur of the moment. I happened to check opening morning and the prices for the ocean view for 5 were better than I expected for a double dip cruise. I am so expected just to be taking the kids on a Disney cruise I’m not going to worry about where my stateroom is.
But if you are concerned and want to change just check frequently. It is far away and many people are probably booked just to hold a spot in case they go. Many people will cancel or change sailings over time.

OP, we are booked on the same cruise. We are also a family of 5 and I don’t trust my kids who will be 3 and 5 near a balcony. We are in room 8668. After reading this thread I am afraid of the vibration being in the aft.
Oh well. We booked this spur of the moment. I happened to check opening morning and the prices for the ocean view for 5 were better than I expected for a double dip cruise. I am so expected just to be taking the kids on a Disney cruise I’m not going to worry about where my stateroom is.
But if you are concerned and want to change just check frequently. It is far away and many people are probably booked just to hold a spot in case they go. Many people will cancel or change sailings over time.
No doubt. I’m very excited! And more excited about our room after people gave me the potential positives of my stateroom.
I too was quite pleased at the price and I’m thankful we were able to get on as a family of five for the price. It certainly went up as the day went on.

For the Fantasy, forward is better than aft due to the Fantasy's vibration issues in the aft. However, if you're set on a verandah, keep looking as people do cancel, especially in the week after booking opens & unpaid holds fall off, and also at the pay-in-full date. You can also ask at check-in at the port, as a few of those in verandahs might have upgraded to concierge, leaving their verandah staterooms open.

Last edited:
There will be literally no way to know if your room has more or less motion than another room at at given moment. So just accept it!

My title was stated to make me feel good about my stateroom. Not feel bad about about having concerns as a mom.

The first post made about it was no doubt an attempt to help you feel better. The view will be the Caribbean, which isn’t what you’re getting from home. Alas you pushed back on it. So further questions were asked.

You have no idea I’d they'll be seasick at all, and you’ll never have proof that any seasickness was because of that location or not, so there’s truly no reason to worry about that stateroom.

My first cruise was Alaska, and we were as far forward as you can get. The morning we left the inside passage for the glacier, I got queasy and threw up once. However, I was also brand newly pregnant. So was it the room? The baby? The placement of the stateroom? I didn’t know then and will never know. I’ve been in a forward room again, but not that forward and not on an Alaskan cruise, and not pregnant. I haven’t replicated the experience, and even if I’d done the same basic thing, the ocean would be different. Truly no way to know. So...no need to worry. What’ll happen will happen.

and I’ve not known a cruise line to carry real ginger ale. It’s all Schweppes with ginger flavoring and HFCS, from what I’ve seen.

There will be literally no way to know if your room has more or less motion than another room at at given moment. So just accept it!

The first post made about it was no doubt an attempt to help you feel better. The view will be the Caribbean, which isn’t what you’re getting from home. Alas you pushed back on it. So further questions were asked.

You have no idea I’d they'll be seasick at all, and you’ll never have proof that any seasickness was because of that location or not, so there’s truly no reason to worry about that stateroom.

My first cruise was Alaska, and we were as far forward as you can get. The morning we left the inside passage for the glacier, I got queasy and threw up once. However, I was also brand newly pregnant. So was it the room? The baby? The placement of the stateroom? I didn’t know then and will never know. I’ve been in a forward room again, but not that forward and not on an Alaskan cruise, and not pregnant. I haven’t replicated the experience, and even if I’d done the same basic thing, the ocean would be different. Truly no way to know. So...no need to worry. What’ll happen will happen.

and I’ve not known a cruise line to carry real ginger ale. It’s all Schweppes with ginger flavoring and HFCS, from what I’ve seen.
Thanks for the positive outlook! I appreciate your response :)

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I did have pretty terrible motion sickness forward in a 5-person oceanview on the Dream (7508) compared to none at all when we stayed in a 5-person verandah midship. That far forward, I felt like I was on a see saw all night and kept waking in the night to throw up (unpleasant as an adult who could get to the bathroom on time, but it would be much worse if it is a kind throwing up all over the sheets.

If you can afford to switch to a balcony, and since you say it is a known issue for your child that he has motion sickness, I would switch.

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy, Deck 9 forward on the port side. The next door farther forward was crew access only, so we couldn't have been more forward.

The cruise was great! My wife and daughter both have motion sickness isues, but there were no problems. We did take a Bonine every morning.

Ours was an Ocean View with the big port hole, we all loved laying in the window to read or just watch the waves.
We'll be in that exact room next Saturday! 9000!

Glad to hear you had such a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter