Make your own Window Clings Tutorial

thewesterberg

DIS Veteran
I made some window clings for our room at Pop and figured out a way to make the white parts of the cling white instead of clear (since printers don't print white)

Here's a little tutorial on how I did it:

1. Had lots of fun making my designs!

2. Reversed the images (or, if your program allows have it print in reverse)

3. Printed them out on window decals made by Royal Brites that I found at Michaels (around $15 for a package of 5 sheets - don't forget to use your 40% off coupon!). I used the "highest quality" printing setting and had it printing on "High Quality/Premium Paper" according to package directions.

6066_28943_WindowDecal.jpg

3. Then to get the white parts white instead of clear, I bought this Rust-Oleum spray paint for Vinyl (in white) at Menards (around $4). I chose this particular spray paint because it said on the label that it "Restores color on vinyl and fabric" and it's a "flexible coating... provides excellent adhesion that won't rub off, crack, or peel... " I thought that it sounded perfect for the job at hand.

SPVnlBlkSpL.jpg

4. Lay your printed images printed side up and spray a coat of this spray paint. You will be spraying over what was just printed. It's okay! Because when you peel off the protective coating on the other side to reveal the "cling" side, you'll see your image the correct way and it will have a white background. Then it can be hung on the inside of your window for all the other resort guests to see!

The spray paint worked great - left the decals flexible and it stuck great. The images look awesome!! I'm excited to hang them up at Pop in 41 days!

Any questions, let me know and I'll try to help others out!

Thanks for the tip!!! Would love to see some of your clings. I would also love to see you decorated window.

Here are some of the clings I designed, plus I found some fun Disney images that I'm printing off to fill up the sheet:

CantBelievemyeye-1.jpg

GoofyBirthdayWIsh-1.jpg

Incredibles9thAnniversary-1.jpg

Any of the images on the DISign board will work just great with this too.

I will definitely take pictures to share with everyone of the completed window.

That is a great idea about the white spray paint. I wish I would have done that it would have made my decals show up better. I will try it next year. Here is a picture of our decals at Pop this May

IMG_0632.jpg

These signs and ideas are great! Thanks sooo much for sharing!
:thumbsup2

Hi! I don't have the greatest printer...will it still work with a regular run of the mill printer? I want to print out Happily Ever After and a large 5.

Thanks for the info, I just bought a package of the clings, using my coupon...

I printed out your info for our Dec trip.

Hi! I don't have the greatest printer...will it still work with a regular run of the mill printer? I want to print out Happily Ever After and a large 5.

I would think it would still work but just like if you're printing pictures the quality isn't going to be the same, KWIM? I'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt! ;)

Thanks for the info, I just bought a package of the clings, using my coupon...

I printed out your info for our Dec trip.
Have fun making them!

One more bit of advice... make sure you let the spray paint dry, completely dry, before stacking them. It was humid here when I made mine and I thought they were dry so I stacked them up. The next day they were stuck together and some of the spray paint peeled off. :headache:

These are great. I have thought about making some window clings for our next trip but wasn't for sure how to make them.

You say to "turn" your image around so that you can hang in on the inside on your window......how exactly do you do that?:confused3

You say to "turn" your image around so that you can hang in on the inside on your window......how exactly do you do that?:confused3

If I'm understanding your question correct, it means printing your cling in reverse. I'm not sure what program you're using, but I've found I can do it a couple different ways, either by choosing "Print in Reverse" or I'm able to "flip" my image in the program that I use so that it will print out the mirror image.

Does this help at all? Ask more questions if I didn't explain what you were wondering.

I have a MAC and I am using HP photosmart studio. I can't firgure out how to "flip" the pic or can't find a print in reverse setting!!!!!!!

When you go to print, click on the preferences tab for your printer, there should be different options for you to select (ie: paper, print quality, etc. For my HP printer I have a tab that says "Basics". Then on that page it says Orientation, where I can select Mirror Image. Also for my printer I had to select transparency film for the type of paper.

HTH

Any suggestions on WHY my Stinking Printer wont load this cling paper....keeps saying paper not fed. I have tried it with and without regular paper under it....I have tried giving it a slight "push" with my hand as I hear it struggling to find paper.....

Someone please help with suggestions because I have spent SOOOOO much time looking for this cling paper and finding what I want on it and editing the pictures and figuring out how to "mirror" images.....

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter