Making More Family Memories at WDW 1/12/20 to 1/19/20

plamp

Mouseketeer
Somewhere in the mid 20’s in Disney vacations trips over the past 45 years. We're former DVC owner when our 3 kids were younger and the family went every year. This trip was with my wife and 2 younger children (now 20 and 23). My older son (29) met us later in the week with his wife (her first time to Disney!) Our park plans were Universal first then Disney with the newbie. We had great weather all week. Low 80’s, no rain.

Day 1 - Sunday
Arrived Sunday about 5pm at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, second time staying there. It is basically surrounded by WDW. Probably our second favorite resort after DVC’s since we got used to the spacious accommodations. This trip we had a 2BR suite. There are park shuttles, but I like to rent a car. In the evening we did what we usually do on day 1 – go to Disney Springs to feel the Magic, shop and eat dinner. We had no reservations that night, but got right in to a new spot (for us) called Art Smith Homecoming. Great southern comfort food including the best fried chicken I’ve ever tasted. Will be returning there on the next trip.

Day 2 - Monday
Breakfast in the room per our usual routine. At Universal for 9am opening. Went to Islands of Adventure and straight to the new Hagrid motorcycle coaster ride. Great ride, somewhat intense. Other standout was the King Kong ride. After lunch, we finished our day with the water rapids and log flume – good planning as we got completely soaked. Back to the hotel mid-afternoon to relax before heading out for dinner. Dinner was at one of our favorite off-site places, Celebration Town Tavern, known for seafood flown in fresh from New England. I instead opted for a meatloaf stacker, layers of meatloaf, bread, mashed potatoes and onion straws (yum). But I did get the New England clam chowder.

Day 3 – Tuesday
Universal Studios. We enjoyed seeing more Harry Potter. Daughter is a big HP fan. After some long waits at IOA the day before, I bought the Express Passes, but US was much less crowded – oh well. We did Escape from Gringotts ride for the first time. Other firsts were Jimmy Kimmel NYC and Minions. After the second day I was feeling that a lot of Universal rides are the same - a motion frenzy through a 3D movie environment. But there are certainly some stand out rides too. We decided not to return a third day. Looking to eat lighter tonight, we went to Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar).

Day 4 – Wednesday
Took a day off from the parks. Went to lunch at Giordanos (Italian/pizza). Relaxed at the resort, sun and floating down a little lazy river . My son and daughter-in-law arrived today and we met them for dinner at another favorite, Raglin Road. Awesome to have the whole family at Disney. My older son’s last trip with us was over 10 years ago. They stayed on site at Caribbean Beach – they really liked the Skyliner.

Day 5 – Thursday
For our daughter-in-law’s first visit we had to start with Magic Kingdom, right? Her first ride was Space Mountain. We saw the Tron coaster going up in that area. I got to go on the Mine Train for the first time (the last two visits the wait was just too long) Park was not too crowded and we got to go an all our favorites. By afternoon, daughter-in-law was wearing Mickey ears! We stayed in the park a little later than usual to see the 3pm parade. The floats are amazing. Dinner that night was at Cape May Buffet. My son and daughter-in-law went back to MK for fireworks.

Day 6 – Friday
Epcot. Lots of construction work going on in Future World. We went first to the Land and Soarin – got right on without Fast Pass. Test Track was closed (boo). It was Festival of the Arts and a lot of nice Disney artwork was on display. Had lunch in China – Lotus Blossom Café and Ice cream in France. Took our midday break and headed back to Epcot for late dinner in Italy. After dinner we all enjoyed the Epcot Forever fireworks.

Day 7 – Saturday
To Hollywood Studios for our first look at the new Toy Story and Star Wars areas (both awesome). My son and wife went to AK for Avatar (best ride ever IMO) and met us after. We elected not to line up at 7am for a chance to ride RoTR. We did get on the Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog Coaster. I have to say, I miss some of the attractions that are gone now, like Great Movie ride and Backlot tour. We took a short break and returned for dinner and Fantasmic! No reservations, so we ended up at the Commissary but it was better than I expected for counter service dinner. Fantasmic! was awesome as usual.

Day 8 – Sunday
4 of us heading home. My son and his wife had another day at AK. We missed AK this trip (see you next time).

Maybe because my kids are young adults now, this trip I was thinking more about past trips with my parents, especially Dad. Our first trip was in 1972 when I was 11. When Epcot opened he loved it, said it reminded him of the Worlds Fair in NYC. So many Disney memories with my parents and kids over the years, and hopefully more to come. My daughter-in-laws first trip and now she loves Disney like us. Already planning to go back in 2 years for my 60th birthday!

Sounds like a nice, relaxing family trip! Thanks for the condensed version of a trip report - so much more enjoyable for me to read ones like this! I'm planning a trip for next Jan, so happy to hear you had nice weather.

So fun! I love reading trip reports that include grown kiddos. My husband I are taking our daughter (25), daughter (24), son-in-law (24), son (16), and son (16) to Disney in a few weeks. My husband and I are passholders but this is the first time we have tried to do a big Disney vacation with all the kids. As I am sure you know...vacationing with grown kids can be tough when coordinating schedules. But we managed to do it this year! We also are staying at WBC (for our first time off site) for 9 glorious days and are excited to check it out! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!