Man almost attacked by alligator in Seven Seas Lagoon

Several questions.
How many gators are estimated to be on WDW property? Is that public knowledge, or a "state secret"? My guess is "state secret".
Do the lake signs state "No swimming"? If so, why not a "No Wading" sign? Or use your imagination on proper signage. That's a free-one for all the pettifoggers (look it up) out there.

I haven't seen a figure on how many total are estimated to be on property, but supposedly over 240 nuisance gators have been removed from WDW property (i.e. destroyed) over the last 10 years. This figure does not include the 5 that were removed after this incident. Wildlife officials have also noted that the area around the lagoon is a poor habitat to sustain a population of large alligators, which would suggest the numbers are greater in other spots...especially the undeveloped areas. It was also my understanding that some of the baby and juvenile gators in LWTL are taken from the population. I can only speculate, but I have to wonder if it's ones from nests near parks and resorts so they can reduce the risk of angry mamma gators and also to relocate them into undeveloped areas when they get older so they don't imprint "home" as one of the more populated areas of the land.

As for the signage, I believe it originally said no swimming. I've lived in FL and currently live in a part of TX prone to gators. We have dual signage at the man-made lakes in our neighborhood. Sign 1 on each lake usually has - No Swimming, No Fishing, No Boating. The alligator signs are no-nonsense and as pictured below, stand on their own as they're the greater risk. We have no snake warning signs even though rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, and coral snakes are a concern and I've seen some. Still, we live in an area where we know alligators could be in any body of water and they still warn us. It's unfortunate that WDW's original signage didn't convey the same strong message.

13495072_10210148334892983_5608314882026986487_n.jpg

I was almost attacked by a swan once....but I wasn't. Point being ....I WASN'T attacked by a swan, if I was 'almost' attacked by a swan.

STAY OUT OF THE D*MN LAKES!!! :lmao:

Seriously though - why doesn't the brain eating amoeba attack the gator? Hmmmm - conspiracy theorists debate!
Probably because the skull is too thick and the brain is too small (and they have internal ear canals with the ear drum placed externally which serves as a mechanical barrier due to evolution as an aquatic species). The gator is a reptilian instinctive eating machine.

I haven't seen a figure on how many total are estimated to be on property, but supposedly over 240 nuisance gators have been removed from WDW property (i.e. destroyed) over the last 10 years. This figure does not include the 5 that were removed after this incident. Wildlife officials have also noted that the area around the lagoon is a poor habitat to sustain a population of large alligators, which would suggest the numbers are greater in other spots...especially the undeveloped areas. It was also my understanding that some of the baby and juvenile gators in LWTL are taken from the population. I can only speculate, but I have to wonder if it's ones from nests near parks and resorts so they can reduce the risk of angry mamma gators and also to relocate them into undeveloped areas when they get older so they don't imprint "home" as one of the more populated areas of the land.

As for the signage, I believe it originally said no swimming. I've lived in FL and currently live in a part of TX prone to gators. We have dual signage at the man-made lakes in our neighborhood. Sign 1 on each lake usually has - No Swimming, No Fishing, No Boating. The alligator signs are no-nonsense and as pictured below, stand on their own as they're the greater risk. We have no snake warning signs even though rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, and coral snakes are a concern and I've seen some. Still, we live in an area where we know alligators could be in any body of water and they still warn us. It's unfortunate that WDW's original signage didn't convey the same strong message.

13495072_10210148334892983_5608314882026986487_n.jpg
I like this sign. It's very classy. I think if Disney does anything in the way of posting signage, it ought to be tasteful, like this sign.

Maybe Disney needs to bring back the Wild Kingdom show that was on Sunday evenings on ABC.

I was reminded of people needing more education after talking with a college educated person about the alligator incident. She couldn't understand how an alligator would be in a man-made lake.

Oh boy...

Is being almost attacked by an alligator the same as being almost pregnant?
I was reminded of people needing more education after talking with a college educated person about the alligator incident. She couldn't understand how an alligator would be in a man-made lake.

Oh boy...
As that comedian once said... you can't fix stupid!

Sound more like the OP companion got to close to a nest. Momma, alligators, like bears are very protective.

Really folks, its Florida, in any southern state your going to have lots of gators and snakes and other varmints.

AKK

Here is a screen shot from my local news this morning. I'm in SW FL and we are suffering from the alge bloom from thw Lake I water release. Our City didn't have time to make pretty signs...and this means stay out... not just no swimming. The waters are polluted Screenshot_2016-07-18-08-39-56.png

Here is a screen shot from my local news this morning. I'm in SW FL and we are suffering from the alge bloom from thw Lake I water release. Our City didn't have time to make pretty signs...and this means stay out... not just no swimming. The waters are polluted View attachment 182527
I'm leaving in a week for east coast. Have you heard any warnings for Broward County beaches? Or is it just for west coast beaches? Booked a beach hotel in Deerfield so hope we'll be able to swim!

I'm leaving in a week for east coast. Have you heard any warnings for Broward County beaches? Or is it just for west coast beaches? Booked a beach hotel in Deerfield so hope we'll be able to swim!
It is working it's way down. I am about 10 miles north of Deerfield. I will not swim in our beach since just north of us in Lantana there are no swimming advisories.

It is working it's way down. I am about 10 miles north of Deerfield. I will not swim in our beach since just north of us in Lantana there are no swimming advisories.
Ugh. Well, we arrived yesterday and today went swimming. No advisories up. Hope it's going to be ok. I had totally forgot.

It is surprising to me that more people don't know about the 'gators! I remember going as a child and my parents always telling us that there were alligators in the lake.

All around an unfortunate situation. It's easy to get lost in the Disney Magic and forget about the "real" animals/repitiles that call the WDW and the resorts home. Hopefully, it's the last tragic event of its kind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter