Man tasered and arrested at MK dessert party.

The cops are not always bad and they do not always handle things incorrectly, just because civilians do not like the way it turned out.
Unless you know why the man was arrested, what his charges were, if he was considered dangerous, etc, your comment is an assumption based upon bias.

No one knows what happened...I like the posters criticizing the police when they literally have no idea what happened, at all.

Most of the time the police can handle situations perfectly, as they were trained to handle them. However, the business of enforcing the law is often a messy one and the outcomes are not always pretty. Many peoples only education about law enforcement in America comes from CSI (original and not the awful spinoffs) and other unrealistic cop shows/movies. It really is the American way: criticizing something you know nothing about and sometimes even saying you could have did it better! This country was built on Monday morning quarterbacking.

Most of the time the police can handle situations perfectly, as they were trained to handle them. However, the business of enforcing the law is often a messy one and the outcomes are not always pretty. Many peoples only education about law enforcement in America comes from CSI (original and not the awful spinoffs) and other unrealistic cop shows/movies. It really is the American way: criticizing something you know nothing about and sometimes even saying you could have did it better! This country was built on Monday morning quarterbacking.

Amen. I mean not even knowing the background and criticizing elevates it to something else though.

The bottom line is as horrible of a situation it was for people to see and especially children the guy was taken into custody for whatever he did and no bystander was physically injured. This was definitely not something Disney Security was handling so it was beyond anything that they would come upon on a regular basis. Just glad it was handled and nothing worse came from it.

Unless two people got tazed on consecutive days at the dessert party we actually witnessed this first hand from start to finish and the police officer(s) in question could not have handled it any better.

Here is what we saw:

First, and this is why I say the two consecutive days bit above, the event we witnessed happened on Saturday June 1st. We were walking on the pathway from The Plaza restaraunt to tomorrow land terrace and my older son(16) and I were arguing about which way would be fastest to get to the people mover. I was telling him that I could see they were prepping for the dessert party and I wasn't sure that hey would let us through. I told him we should hang a left back to the hub and the main bridge. Just as we were getting to the intersection and guy was walking from the hub with a couple of large disney bags in each hand and, I'm not kidding, a stuffed Mickey Mouse under his arm. A police officer dressed in dark green came up behind him and grabbed him by the arm and mentioned something about not paying or "are you gonna pay for that". The guy violently yanked away from the officer hard enough that he bumped into a stroller that actually hit my son in the knee(that is how close we were), another person went sprawling on the ground(I think it was a CM not sure), and a drink went flying.

At this point, the suspect taunted the police officer by saying "Betcha can't run faster than me....." and then he took off running toward tomorrowland terrace. The officer ran after him(luckily the path was empty save for them), as he was running the office drew his taser and began warning the man that he would taze(sp?) him if he did not stop. Unfortunately for the suspect he apparently doesn't do a whole lot of trip planning as he made a left into the tomorrowland terrace which I believe is a dead end. The cop rounded the corner and that is when he fired the taser, we were able to see the strings from the taser but not the actual suspect being hit. I honestly couldn't see anyone diving for cover but my view was somewhat obstructed by the building structure.

When I say the officer could not have handled it better I mean that the suspect was clearly going to run over anyone and anything to get out of there. Given the makeup of the typical crowd at Magic Kingdom that was probably too dangerous to let go. The way it was the officer safely subdued the suspect all in less than 30 seconds. Some one mentioned why this didn't make it on social media, My wife and 2 kids had phones as did I but the issue was over so quickly none of us even had a chance to start recording. I was actually too stunned by the incident to do anything but stare.

After the fact and after the cast members blocked the path to the terrace my older son turned to me and said "Well I guess we are going your way". This literally happened the first night of our trip and it was a running joke for the rest of the trip.

Right and TV is nothing like true police work. I am a Sheriff in the Dallas area. ;)

Right and TV is nothing like true police work. I am a Sheriff in the Dallas area. ;)
I’m a detective in nyc, absolutely nothing like television.
Thank you to both of you for your service. I’m not in law enforcement, but at times I’m sure it can be a thankless job. Thanks for your input.

I do wish more folks posting in this thread identified themselves as law enforcement, as I would certainly give more weight to their analysis of the situation.

Thank you to both of you for your service. I’m not in law enforcement, but at times I’m sure it can be a thankless job. Thanks for your input.

I do wish more folks posting in this thread identified themselves as law enforcement, as I would certainly give more weight to their analysis of the situation.

I have a friend on the Dis, another state, who I will not identify, but she is a true CSI. ;)

Wow. I was following this thread just to see if we could get any answers. But based on the two stories being told here, it seems like there were two events that may have happened on consecutive nights?
I was with my family at the MK Fireworks dessert party on Friday night. I was up getting coffee when I heard a woman scream. I immediately thought someone had a heart attack so I went to get my husband ( he is an ER doc ), but as I turned around I heard two large popping sounds and people went absolutely hysterical, running, crying, getting under tables. At first I thought it was a shooting. Then I saw 4 sheriff officers in full uniform take down a man that was eating at the party with his family. Evidentially they came to arrest him and he tried to run so they tased him in front of everyone at the party. I found this to be so out of character for Walt Disney World. I thought they did everything to keep these kinds of things out if the public eye. I was very shook up by this event. Has anyone seen anything like this happen before ?
Unless two people got tazed on consecutive days at the dessert party we actually witnessed this first hand from start to finish and the police officer(s) in question could not have handled it any better.

Here is what we saw:

First, and this is why I say the two consecutive days bit above, the event we witnessed happened on Saturday June 1st. We were walking on the pathway from The Plaza restaraunt to tomorrow land terrace and my older son(16) and I were arguing about which way would be fastest to get to the people mover. I was telling him that I could see they were prepping for the dessert party and I wasn't sure that hey would let us through. I told him we should hang a left back to the hub and the main bridge. Just as we were getting to the intersection and guy was walking from the hub with a couple of large disney bags in each hand and, I'm not kidding, a stuffed Mickey Mouse under his arm. A police officer dressed in dark green came up behind him and grabbed him by the arm and mentioned something about not paying or "are you gonna pay for that". The guy violently yanked away from the officer hard enough that he bumped into a stroller that actually hit my son in the knee(that is how close we were), another person went sprawling on the ground(I think it was a CM not sure), and a drink went flying.

At this point, the suspect taunted the police officer by saying "Betcha can't run faster than me....." and then he took off running toward tomorrowland terrace. The officer ran after him(luckily the path was empty save for them), as he was running the office drew his taser and began warning the man that he would taze(sp?) him if he did not stop. Unfortunately for the suspect he apparently doesn't do a whole lot of trip planning as he made a left into the tomorrowland terrace which I believe is a dead end. The cop rounded the corner and that is when he fired the taser, we were able to see the strings from the taser but not the actual suspect being hit. I honestly couldn't see anyone diving for cover but my view was somewhat obstructed by the building structure.

When I say the officer could not have handled it better I mean that the suspect was clearly going to run over anyone and anything to get out of there. Given the makeup of the typical crowd at Magic Kingdom that was probably too dangerous to let go. The way it was the officer safely subdued the suspect all in less than 30 seconds. Some one mentioned why this didn't make it on social media, My wife and 2 kids had phones as did I but the issue was over so quickly none of us even had a chance to start recording. I was actually too stunned by the incident to do anything but stare.

After the fact and after the cast members blocked the path to the terrace my older son turned to me and said "Well I guess we are going your way". This literally happened the first night of our trip and it was a running joke for the rest of the trip.
The OP was in the middle of the dessert party when the tasing incident occurred. The second story happened before a dessert party. Just a crazy coincidence on back-to-back nights?

Well, without any evidence to the contrary, I'll give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt that if they tazed someone, it needed to be done for everyone's safety. I like to believe that law and order are enforced in the parks to keep them safe for everyone. If someone is dangerous and needs to be removed immediately, I'd rather that person be taken right from my dessert party in dramatic fashion than remain a threat to others around them.

I’ve seen someone tased on the monorail platform before during a fight that broke out so it does happen.

I wonder if the use of tasers is increasing, as their usefulness in preventing more lethal forms of force are demonstrated so clearly? That law enforcement of any type find that the taser provides a measure of safety for all involved? Have we evolved from "STOP! Police!" to the point where the saying is "STOP! <taser> Police!" - just mindless musing here. I am all for bringing dangerous situations to a swift and safe end for all involved, including suspect and officers.

I wonder if the use of tasers is increasing, as their usefulness in preventing more lethal forms of force are demonstrated so clearly? That law enforcement of any type find that the taser provides a measure of safety for all involved? Have we evolved from "STOP! Police!" to the point where the saying is "STOP! <taser> Police!" - just mindless musing here. I am all for bringing dangerous situations to a swift and safe end for all involved, including suspect and officers.

“Just mindless musing”

Absolutely correct.

If your asking do tasers reduce the incidents of deadly force, the answer is yes. I don't care what exact warning the police give. If you're confronted by the cops and your first response isn't "yes sir" then you have whatever your about to get coming to you. Even if you think your right just do what you're told and address it later. I would be more inclined to comply if the cops did yell "stop taser."

I was staying at ASM back in 2002. It was just after midnight when a fight broke out at the pool just outside our room. There were about 3 or 4 teens naked and beating each other up. Chairs were thrown, blood was everywhere. I called the front desk and told them what was happening. A CM came out and tried to diffuse the situation but relaized quickly it was way out of control. In a very short period of time police arrived in full riot gear and they had rifles drawn. Officers surrounded the teens and were even on the balconies of the building.( i could see them from my ground level room) The teens were quickly taken in handcuffs and I was out the door with my DD right after they were out of site. The CM was asking us to go back to the room but we were done. When we returned a representative called us and refunded a part of our stay. It never made the news or papers that I know of. Bad things happen at Disney but they have a way of keeping things out of the news.

I’m also wondering if anyone knows why he got arrested ? I cannot believe they would send in 4 police officers for something like shoplifting ?

How do you know it was shoplifting? With millions attending Disney parks don't think for a minute you aren't walking among hardened criminals every day or that major crimes don't occur in the happiest place on earth ......... yes murderers, rapists, drug dealers, gang members attend WDW too ... just sayin.

Disney can't control how the sheriff's department acts with things like this. I do find it weird that they had 4 officers though.

So you would prefer a one on one cage match UFC type fight to the death among this criminal and the police? That's not how it works. Sounds like everyone went "home" safe despite the criminal getting a little jolt which is exactly how they draw it up. HINT: Do what the police tell you to do, the time to fight is in a court of law not Main Street USA ....jus sayin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter