Man vs Gatwick....

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
So, to all my ‘Northern’ friends. Manchester is our closest airport but flights, other than with Thomas Cook are working out much more expensive for our trip next May. Even virgin Atlantic is about £500 less from Gatwick! 🤔 I’m considering flying from Gatwick with BA which looks to save us around £800 (3 adults) Any recommendations for BA? Flying out economy and home premium economy. BA flights from Manchester involve changing airports in London so not really considering that - unless someone suggests any amazing tips 😃Forgot to say ..... DH has offered to drive us down and then collect us 💕

Last edited:
We’ve done the swapping airports in London and we really did not like it. Just added stress and cost which isn’t covered by your flight cost. We paid £25 each for the bus.
Have you considered Aer Lingus via Dublin from Manchester? We have flown loads with them and the pre clearance in Dublin for immigration saves loads of time on arrival in Orlando.

We’ve done the swapping airports in London and we really did not like it. Just added stress and cost which isn’t covered by your flight cost. We paid £25 each for the bus.
Have you considered Aer Lingus via Dublin from Manchester? We have flown loads with them and the pre clearance in Dublin for immigration saves loads of time on arrival in Orlando.
I've often looked at Aer Lingus from Dublin, as it would be convenient for me being based in Aberdeen. However, I have never found the flights particularly cheap from Dublin. Certainly no cheaper than London.

I've often looked at Aer Lingus from Dublin, as it would be convenient for me being based in Aberdeen. However, I have never found the flights particularly cheap from Dublin. Certainly no cheaper than
I’ve looked at this option but hadn’t had feedback from anyone who’d actually done it. Will take a better look now 😀

I've often looked at Aer Lingus from Dublin, as it would be convenient for me being based in Aberdeen. However, I have never found the flights particularly cheap from Dublin. Certainly no cheaper than London.
We are also in Aberdeen 🙋🏼‍♀️We book them right away when they are released for our dates. Tbh by the time we factor in the cost and stress for changing airports in London it makes more sense for us to fly the Aer Lingus route. Plus the pre clearance just saves so much time on arrival.

Honestly the pre clearance makes it so worth it. They have a dedicated area that you go through which takes you through TSA and then you do all the same checks you would do on arrival in the US, passport, finger prints etc. When you arrive in the US you are classed as a domestic flight so it’s straight off, onto the monorail, get your bags (no need to get them and lug them all the way through it’s just the one collection point) and right to whatever mode of transport to your resort. We have been landed and checking in usually 90mins after arrival.
Dublin has a lounge after pre clearance you can book but it’s also a nice airport in general Not as massive terminals as Heathrow or Gatwick.

Honestly the pre clearance makes it so worth it. They have a dedicated area that you go through which takes you through TSA and then you do all the same checks you would do on arrival in the US, passport, finger prints etc. When you arrive in the US you are classed as a domestic flight so it’s straight off, onto the monorail, get your bags (no need to get them and lug them all the way through it’s just the one collection point) and right to whatever mode of transport to your resort. We have been landed and checking in usually 90mins after arrival.
Dublin has a lounge after pre clearance you can book but it’s also a nice airport in general Not as massive terminals as Heathrow or Gatwick.

I think this is such a great idea and have spoken to people before who have used this service, there is a lot of upgrade working taking place at Orlando Airport at present and it certainly would be a quick way to go through when you arrive, just wish they did the same at Gatwick and Heathrow, not sure why it is only Dublin that offer this.

That being said if you do not live in Ireland the extra time to do a flight to Dublin and wait for your next flight may make the time longer then flying direct to Orlando and waiting to pass TSA in america.

I think this is such a great idea and have spoken to people before who have used this service, there is a lot of upgrade working taking place at Orlando Airport at present and it certainly would be a quick way to go through when you arrive, just wish they did the same at Gatwick and Heathrow, not sure why it is only Dublin that offer this.

That being said if you do not live in Ireland the extra time to do a flight to Dublin and wait for your next flight may make the time longer then flying direct to Orlando and waiting to pass TSA in america.
I just wish BA didn’t make it so hard for us north of the boarder by only offering flights via the Heathrow/Gatwick faff.
But I don’t disagree if you are lucky to be close to and airport that offer direct flights or can afford the direct flights 100% it would be silly to add on the extra travel time. For us by the time we add in travel to Glasgow, for example parking and overnight stay and return travel. The extra travel time to go via Dublin for us cost wise it’s a no brainer.

I just wish BA didn’t make it so hard for us north of the boarder by only offering flights via the Heathrow/Gatwick faff.
But I don’t disagree if you are lucky to be close to and airport that offer direct flights or can afford the direct flights 100% it would be silly to add on the extra travel time. For us by the time we add in travel to Glasgow, for example parking and overnight stay and return travel. The extra travel time to go via Dublin for us cost wise it’s a no brainer.

Sounds like a holiday in itself to get there and back, I feel for you.

Going through Dublin is easy

You arrive , if travelling with Aer Lingus , at Terminal 2 .... then a 10 min walk to go through

Transfer line & into Duty Free area ... yes for USA..... take an empty backpack with you to carry / fill it with Duty Free ..

Then on for something to eat , then go downstairs to pre clearance ............security & then Immigration

........ you will be asked to point out your luggage when displayed on Screen .. then you are on your way

Going through Dublin is easy

You arrive , if travelling with Aer Lingus , at Terminal 2 .... then a 10 min walk to go through

Transfer line & into Duty Free area ... yes for USA..... take an empty backpack with you to carry / fill it with Duty Free ..

Then on for something to eat , then go downstairs to pre clearance ............security & then Immigration

........ you will be asked to point out your luggage when displayed on Screen .. then you are on your way

How long is the stop over at Dublin?

Sounds like a holiday in itself to get there and back, I feel for you.
It is - sometimes we plan a little UK mini-break before jetting off on holiday! We have done that the last 2 years where we spent a few nights in both Manchester and Newcastle before flying off on our summer holidays abroad. Feels like just another leg of your holiday then, and almost justifies the expense of getting there from Aberdeen. You just can't get anywhere quickly or cheaply from Aberdeen!

We may well do the same next year for Florida - couple of nights in either Manchester or London before flying out.

Wow, quicker to wait at Orlando.
Not if you have to travel a day before from Aberdeen to London or Manchester to catch flights from there. You can potentially fly from Aberdeen to Orlando via Manchester same day, but would need to rely on Fly(may)Be, and no way would I rely on that bunch of muppets for part of my Disney holiday!

Not if you have to travel a day before from Aberdeen to London or Manchester to catch flights from there. You can potentially fly from Aberdeen to Orlando via Manchester same day, but would need to rely on Fly(may)Be, and no way would I rely on that bunch of muppets for part of my Disney holiday!
Muppets is right I’ve lost count of the number of times they have cancelled the flights from here. Yes we get a rubbish deal up here on flights. I don’t mind the wee break in Dublin, DH loves to get a proper pint of Guinness and I like to have a look in the VIctorias secret and the duty free as they have some different stuff to (updated but still tiny) the one here.

Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question :flower1:
I've decided to book BA from LGW - economy out and PE back home.
Thought it was time to have a change so that we can, maybe, offer a comparison if someone else asks a similar question in the future :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!