manual chair rental:care vs. walker?

GeekChic

Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company...
i have a question! i've only rented a chair off-site once, from Care medical. while it did the job, it was hardly the newest (or lightest weight) model i've seen.

has anyone rented a manual chair from walker and what were they like? i'm wondering if i can request a lighter weight model or if they're all identical...man, wish i could still drive a scooter :(

thanks for any info you can offer!
geek

Hello:

I have never rented off site equipment. I am sure that if you ask them than can give you something lighter than what you had. Theones at disney are not that bad. You dont feel comfortable driving a scooter? It can be pretty scary with all those people I sometimes tell my husband that I rather he push me in the chair because i dont have to pay attention where I am going and i get to enjoy the sights LOL:Pinkbounc How is it today with the family members? Have they changed their minds yet????

betty

I don't have any experience renting wheelchairs since DD has her own, but I know you can rent lower weight models. The ones for rent in the parks are what we medical people call "tanks" - sturdy, big and heavy.
If someone will be pushing you all the time, an alternative is something called a "Transport chair." Instead of having a large set of back tires and smaller tires (casters) on the front, transport chairs have 4 smaller tires. They are lightweight, easy to fold up and plunk into a car than a regular wheelchair. I've talked to some people who have rented both regular wheelchairs and transport chairs and they very much liked the transport chair.
Let us know what you find out.

Hi Sue-

Do you know if transport chairs are available to rent in the Orlando area? When I go to the Care Medical and Walker sites, there is no mention of them. Thanks for the great work you do here.

Regards,
Humphrey53209

I would try calling them. They both are full serive medical supply providers and probably just put the most commonly requested stuff on their websites.
I can't remember where the person I talked to with a transport chair rented theirs, but it was one of the "regular" rental places.

Thank you sue! i'm about to call them now, will be back with whatever Care tells me!

*edited*

Okay back! :) just talked to the gentleman at Care and he said that unfortunately the 38 pound standard wheelchair is the best they can do, they said that anything lighter weight doesn't stand up to rental.

that's okay, we'll deal with it! we worked with it last time.

They're sending me a form to sign and fax back, interesting we didn't do that last year! but i think we booked on too short notice last year, so maybe that's why...

will be interested to see if anyone else has any luck reserving the transport chair!

thanks again for your input guys you're the best!
geek

don't know how the cost plays out, but you might consider buying one of the transport chairs at home (new or resale). then you'd have it for the airport if you needed it, as well as for future trips to wdw! at our local medical supply store, the transport chairs are not as expensive as the "tanks." and if you'll never be pushing yourself, why bother with those big wheels?

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter