Map of Handicapped Accessible Rooms

Choppertester

Earning My Ears
We are going in March, staying 4 nights at Coronado and 4 nights at Carribean Beach.
Does anyone know of a site that shows the location of handicapped accessible rooms (roll in shower) at the WDW resorts?

I have yet to find information like that for you....but that dont mean Wheelsie wont stop looking!!! :)

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif

Choppertester - We stayed at the CSR back in November of '99. My hubby is a paraplegic and we were in Cabana 8B and I believe it was room 8510. Roll-in shower with the pull down bench, one king-size bed. Sliding pocket bathroom door. The one sink is located outside the bathroom.

As a sidenote here - when I was doing my research before our stay, I did not ever run across a map showing specifically where the handi rooms were. I found maps of the resorts, just not the rooms. I would assume that almost every separate building has a handi room or two or three...

The building we were in was quite close to the main pool, close to a bus stop, and only about five minutes away from the main building, restaurants and gift shop. My hubby rolls himself and had no problems with this resort.

If you have any other questions, ask away. Enjoy your trip. I am envious!

I have been told there are accessible rooms in every building, but I don't know of any maps either. You could try looking at the maps that we have here on the DIS, find a building or two that looks good and then call and ask what types od accessible rooms are available in that building.
you also might want to call WDW Resorts Special Reservations. I don't have the phone number on this computer, but if you find other posts about accassible rooms, it will be listed.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Thanks Wheelsie & SueM. I'm sure WDW accomodations have computerized lists or screens of the different handicapped accessible rooms (ie roll in shower vs grab bars vs audible features etc). With the proliferation of internet access, they should remove some of their phone call workload and add features to their website. If enough people ask for it then the cost of all those phone calls vs creating a posting will no longer be an issue.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, Choppertester. Yes, there was most definitely a connecting room. The couple we traveled with were in it!! It had two double beds, regular bathroom (bathtub and toilet) and the sink still outside the bathroom. I'm not sure, but they may have had two sinks as opposed to our one. I can't be positive, but I definitely do remember them having more counter space around their sink than we had.

Just a note --

I ended up in a handicapped accessible room at the ASMu. I didn't request it, but I was given it because I had requested a single king-sized bed (go figure).

The room was on the second level of Calypso, and it was small. From my own observation, I do not see how anyone with a wheelchair could have easily manuevered around in it. Of course, I wasn't in a wheelchair, so I can't say for sure. The shower was flush to the floor and had a bench in it with a railing. And that seemed to be about the only accomodation made for a handicapped person. The furniture was close together and easy to bump into (I'm not the most graceful being on this planet!) I'm sure someone who knows what to look for might have a different perspective.

I have no idea what the rooms are like in the Moderates, but watch out for the Value resorts.

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">

Donna

Handicapped rooms at Disney have roll in showers. No tubs with grab bars, No choice on that unless you can deal with a regular room which is what we did at Dixie Landings this time.
Since I can walk with my sticks it was fine. I don't care for the shower as it is too slick and easy to fall. The benches were easy to slip off of. A towel over the seat helps.
We also had to rearrange the furniture so we had easy access to the outlet to plug in the chair.
We were way out in building 35 so it was a fair piece to the food court and required going over 2 very rough bridges. Jarred the heck out of my back and hips, Also many times I did not have sufficient power to make it to the food courts so we drove off site to a restaurant where I could use my sticks the few feet to the door. Disney's loss. I was very cold so I used a blanket over my legs in the wheelchair.

Pooh

Not all rooms at WDW have roll in showers, some still have the tub with grab bars. If you want the roll in you need to ask for the barrior free room not just handicapped.

We've found the same as pugdog reports, that there are different types of accessible rooms. If you need some specific accomidation, be sure to ask what that room has exactly.
WDW is pretty good about things, but outside of WDW (in uppper MN), we have found rooms that they said were wheelchair accessible that had a step as soon as you got into the room. Accessible only if you can climb a step. So ask and ask again if you are not sure.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Each time I have specified I did not want the roll in shower I have been told that I must take a regular room, that all handicapped accessible rooms have the roll in shower. Which resorts have the grab bars on the tubs. I have gone through SPecial Needs each time and I get this every time I reserve a room. HAve stayed at COntemporary, Ft Wilderness, WIlderness Lodge, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings.

Pooh

All of the CM's that you talk to must be giving out the wrong info then. Alot of the rooms in older resorts,like 5 years or more have tubs. I know that WDW was going to remodel some of the rooms to have roll ins so maybe their ahead of schedule and doing more then they planed. The only roll in that we have ever had was at CS. All the other times have been tubs. PO, DL, CBR are all the ones we've stayed at so far. Going to BWV in 2 days I'll let you know haw the rooms are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!