Marathon 2023 finish line logistics

eey777

Earning My Ears
Hoping to get some input from more experienced folks as this will only be our 2nd trip to WDW (last time for Princess 2019). Sorry this is long!

TLDR / Summary: Is it possible (and how) to get faster runner to hotel & back when there's 1-2 hour gap to slower runner's finish?

Husband and I are signed up for the full, we likely will be at least an hour apart in finish time, and possibly more like 2 hours. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to want to stand around waiting in the finish area (especially if it is hot or rainy). I also hope he'll be there when I finish.

* Can he go back to our hotel and return to the finish line area for my finish time? How much time should we allow for travel?

We are currently booked for POFQ without a car, but could change hotel or get a car if helpful. The other hotels we were considering / in our price range were POP, CBR, Swan/Dolphin, and off-property at Flamingo Crossings (<- with a car).

We can't afford a monorail resort :-( and if I understand correctly, being on a Skyliner resort or at Swan/Dolphin would only help if we had park tickets for EPCOT on Marathon day, and he would have to walk through the park (?).

*Can Lyft/Uber take you to / from the finish line area while the race is on, and /or do race buses bring spectators from resorts to the finish line throughout? If not, where do rideshares drop/pick up, & would spectators just take park buses from the resort and walk to the finish line?

Also, if we were to drive, would he be able to exit runner parking and return, or is it exit only, and then park in a regular EPCOT parking lot on return (and would he be able to get back to the finish line?). We've only ever taken the race buses on race day.

I am really hoping they bring back Race Retreat (climate controlled), because this would be ideal for our circumstances!

Any other suggestions for "basically newbies" would be welcome. Because we've only been once, neither of us has a firm idea of where anything in the resort is, and our last stay (POP) feels so long ago now. We are arriving on Friday for Sunday race only, so will go to Expo Friday night or Saturday.

Thanks for reading!

What is your husband's estimated finish time and what is yours?
Probably 4:15 - 4:45 (him) and 5:15 - 6:30 (me)? Although we are a little far out to have an accurate idea, and we are both first time full marathoners coming from colder climate (west coast Canada).

I'm sure he'll text me when he finishes, and I will turn on my location tracker so he knows where I am either then or at about the 30 km mark, whichever comes first (but we haven't really sorted race day logistics at all!). Thanks!

Hoping to get some input from more experienced folks as this will only be our 2nd trip to WDW (last time for Princess 2019). Sorry this is long!

TLDR / Summary: Is it possible (and how) to get faster runner to hotel & back when there's 1-2 hour gap to slower runner's finish?

Husband and I are signed up for the full, we likely will be at least an hour apart in finish time, and possibly more like 2 hours. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to want to stand around waiting in the finish area (especially if it is hot or rainy). I also hope he'll be there when I finish.

* Can he go back to our hotel and return to the finish line area for my finish time? How much time should we allow for travel?

We are currently booked for POFQ without a car, but could change hotel or get a car if helpful. The other hotels we were considering / in our price range were POP, CBR, Swan/Dolphin, and off-property at Flamingo Crossings (<- with a car).

We can't afford a monorail resort :-( and if I understand correctly, being on a Skyliner resort or at Swan/Dolphin would only help if we had park tickets for EPCOT on Marathon day, and he would have to walk through the park (?).

*Can Lyft/Uber take you to / from the finish line area while the race is on, and /or do race buses bring spectators from resorts to the finish line throughout? If not, where do rideshares drop/pick up, & would spectators just take park buses from the resort and walk to the finish line?

Also, if we were to drive, would he be able to exit runner parking and return, or is it exit only, and then park in a regular EPCOT parking lot on return (and would he be able to get back to the finish line?). We've only ever taken the race buses on race day.

I am really hoping they bring back Race Retreat (climate controlled), because this would be ideal for our circumstances!

Any other suggestions for "basically newbies" would be welcome. Because we've only been once, neither of us has a firm idea of where anything in the resort is, and our last stay (POP) feels so long ago now. We are arriving on Friday for Sunday race only, so will go to Expo Friday night or Saturday.

Thanks for reading!
1. Yes. bus or car or rideshare - all subject to traffic on roads and road closures.
2. Yes - because the course closes roads, traffic times are very unpredictable. amount of time depends on how early he finishes and how far back you will be plus traffic.
3. No - rideshares only pickup/drop off at Epcot's designated spot. Buses are the only transportation by the finish area which is one way to resorts. All spectators that come in via resort buses are dropped off in a location to take them through EPCOT security before walking to race finish area.
4. there is not really dedicated runner parking - they park in the EPCOT parking area. Yes he could walk to his car and drive back to the resort to clean up, and then come back to EPCOT and park again. He would still have to walk through EPCOT security to access finish area. He will be at the mercy of traffic though both leaving to go back to resort and coming back to see you finish. EPCOT parking toll plaza is typically busy on marathon Sunday.
If he has park access, he can see you in the park prior to finish - spectators are allowed along the course in the park. Bottom line - yes its doable, but timing is very unpredictable.

<snip>
Bottom line - yes its doable, but timing is very unpredictable.
Thank you so much for the full answer! After his first "miss" at my finish, I feel like this is all a bit of a recipe for another "miss" so am leaning to telling him to bring a fresh shirt/hat and some wipes, and go into EPCOT to wait for me.

I have done a lot of Disney Marathon weekends. No way he can take a bus, get to hotel, shower, and be back to finish line in an hour and i doubt an hour and a half.

If you really want him to be able to get back to the hotel and still be able to get back and see you finish would be an Epcot Resort and a park ticket to walk through Epcot. Even then he may not be walking that fast to get back by the time you finish.

I have no idea if they will have Race Retreat, i doubt it, but that would be your best bet.

My general suggestion is do gear check and in his bag have fresh clothes, shoes/sandals, and baby wipes. Then he can stay and wait for you.

Thanks so much, Bree & Garneska! And especially thanks for the shoe reminder.

Question: you both mention "change of clothes" - in the finish area, is there anywhere other than a porta potty to change shorts? I have been to other races with changing tents, but they were much smaller races, so I'm assuming no here (I don't see any on the 2022 finish area maps).

Thank you!

Thanks so much, Bree & Garneska! And especially thanks for the shoe reminder.

Question: you both mention "change of clothes" - in the finish area, is there anywhere other than a porta potty to change shorts? I have been to other races with changing tents, but they were much smaller races, so I'm assuming no here (I don't see any on the 2022 finish area maps).

Thank you!
You can walk to the bathrooms outside Epcot near the monorail. That is where i would go. Plus you would have a sink to wash off.

Just one more vote to say I don't think there is anyway he would have time to get to your hotel and back in the time frame you mention (shoot, just getting through the finishers chute and out to the reunion area can take quite a bit of time). If it's important for him to see you finish then the best option is to bring a change of clothes and wait.

I agree with those who say to wait, but something nobody has suggested yet is to also rent a car and drive. The parking area (if it doesn't move) is very close to the finish line area, and he would have a place to change, hang out, nap, get in the A/C or heat if needed, etc, then come back over to the spectator stands when you're coming through.

Even if he could get back, I would still encourage him to wait. Number one, as it is a first marathon, you don't know what the body's response will be. Maybe he wants/needs some self-treatment at Medical. Then, enjoying the walk through the powerade/water/food box area. Then pictures after that. Walk around and enjoy the vibe of the finish area. Grab the checked bag and sit down and stretch for ten minutes. Walk to the Epcot bathrooms and change into fresh clothes. Have a drink/snack. Then, find a spot on the course to cheer for all that come in. We usually don't leave the finish line area for an hour after the marathon. It is a celebration-enjoy as much of it as possible.

Then, find a spot on the course to cheer for all that come in. We usually don't leave the finish line area for an hour after the marathon. It is a celebration-enjoy as much of it as possible.
This is such a good point. I have never done gear check before as I usually just eat, stretch, couple of pictures then back to the hotel. But the longest rundisney event I have done is a HM. Post marathon and Dopey, this seems like a great finish line to cheer at for a while and soak in the experience a while longer. Might at least be nice to get out of my sweaty socks and tennis shoes.

I did RR for my first January Half, and it was by NO means climate controlled. It was in a tent. That's it.

Thank you so much for the full answer! After his first "miss" at my finish, I feel like this is all a bit of a recipe for another "miss" so am leaning to telling him to bring a fresh shirt/hat and some wipes, and go into EPCOT to wait for me.

If he goes into epcot to see you he won't be able to see you finish.

Have him check a gearbag with fresh everything. He can get the bag and head over to the bathrooms outside of epcot to change. Then head on back, soak in some atmosphere, and get comfy to watch you finish. Then the both of you can soak in the post-race atmosphere before heading back to the hotel.

If you rent a car and he goes there to nap, make sure he has set an alarm. And be sure he thinks through sitting down for an hour or two after a marathon...

I have actually done this twice during marathon weekend. In 2022, I finished with a clock time of 3:25, took some photos, and hopped on a bus back to Boardwalk where I showered and ate breakfast. I then took a bus back to cheer on someone cross the finish line with a clock time of 6:29. Coming back traffic was crazy, and I had to go through regular Epcot security, but I still had about a thirty minute wait. I’d say the minimum time you’d need is two and a half hours to leave and come back.

Thanks, everyone! Very strong consensus that there isn't time and I really appreciate the knowledge / experience for things like the bathrooms near Epcot's monorail. The idea of a car is also something I was wondering about, but I appreciate the ideas about setting an alarm and not just sitting for an hour or so post race.
Re: race retreat: I used it for my 1 Florida race, and I would have sworn it was cooled in there... maybe it was just a placebo effect LOL. I only really spent time there before my race, and afterwards I just went in briefly for a snack and my gear bag and we left for the hotel (I did take a finisher photo, but we were both feeling so hot, we just wanted to get back to the room, so I didn't really take in the atmosphere too much).
The real solution here is for him to slow down, and me to speed up, I think (haha). He wasn't thrilled when I suggested that he could run ahead and stand in character lines for me the whole way ;-).

Honestly, he should just wait. Getting in/out of there can be difficult with long walks and traffic and mercy on race bus timing. Have him bag check some body wipes and a change of clothes & shoes. There are food and beverages to purchase or have him pack something.

I second this. I finished about 2.5 hours before my traveling party this past weekend and I just hung around. I drove so I went back to the car and toweled off but then I went into Epcot, did a few things, saw them run past in Epcot, went out to meet them at the finish area, and then spent the rest of the day at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter