• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Ambitions

RugbyTigger

Earning My Ears
Hi All......just joined.

I am hoping to do the Dopey in 2019 with my daughter to celebrate her 21st and my 25th Wedding Anniversary. Complete novice runner [ old rugby prop - says everything] so any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. Also anything that might help in the organisation side - registration, accomodation, trip planning, etc.
Looking forward to the journey.

You have plenty of time, so I recommend that you take a step approach. Use a couch to 5k program to prepare yourself for a 5k race, then race a few 5ks. Then step up to a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon. Since you have 2.5 years to get there, take it slow and increase mileage very gradually.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey. The races last only a few hours, but the training can be life changing.

Hi All......just joined.

I am hoping to do the Dopey in 2019 with my daughter to celebrate her 21st and my 25th Wedding Anniversary. Complete novice runner [ old rugby prop - says everything] so any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. Also anything that might help in the organisation side - registration, accomodation, trip planning, etc.
Looking forward to the journey.

Even in the realm of Dopey planning you are a pretty good distance away from your first somewhat mandatory deadline. Nothing is guaranteed, but I would imagine if everything sticks to form that Dopey 2019 registration will occur in April 2018. If this year is any indication (registration is still open after ~3 months), you may not need to register the first day of registration; but in the past registrations have sold out in days or hours so it's anyone's guess how registrations will be trending in a couple years.

Nonetheless, this still leaves a good amount of time to peruse these boards and other resources to figure out what may work best for you as far as trip planning and accommodations are concerned. I've found that people on these boards have stayed at virtually every resort (or offsite), eaten at virtually every dining option, and scheduled their time away from the races in basically every way imaginable during WDW Marathon Weekend. The one common thread seems to be that most people have had a great time and finished their goal race(s). So I would say that it's pretty wide open for you to find a trip plan that you are excited about because there isn't really a one size fits all for the weekend.

As far as running goes, you have plenty of time to find a plan and build mileage. I'll leave specific recommendations up to others, but I think The Running Thread on this board can be a pretty good resource for runners regardless of pace or experience level.

Just get out there and start running. Start small and build gradually. I too am an ex prop/hooker and started running about 18 months ago. Since then I have completed 3 halfs and countless 10'ks including the star wars rebel challenge at the start of this year.

I will be doing the dopey challenge this coming January. So I will have been on a similar time as you.

Congratulations on the decision to start running. The advice you are already hearing I agree with. It is very important to start out slow. I have known a lot of people who try to do too much too fast and get injured or discouraged and then quit. Given your time frame you can really work your way up slowly and strategically. Start with a C25K program and then slowly build up your base from there. The cool thing about running is that we can all do it, we can all set goals and go after it. @Barca33Runner suggested The Running Thread; I totally agree. You will find great resources there and really cool people of all levels. Everyone is welcome!

Good luck on this journey and I hope to see you at the 2019 Dopey!

I too am planning on Dopey in 2019 to celebrate/"deal with" a big birthday milestone. I have been Running Disney off and on since 2011- but this year WAY MORE than before. I will have completed 3 challenge weekends and an additional half this year- all RD races. My plan is to continue to build up my speed in the next year while focusing on strength training. When I stopped racing (not running) for a year to focus on strength training- it really improved my running when I came back to actual races.

I plan to do a few halfs late 2017 and early 2018 for a good proof of time. Proof of time (POT) will be important for corral placement and being able to enjoy some of the character stops without worrying about being swept. I run photo op to photo op at Disney races!!!

You might think of trying a RD challenge weekend - it would give you race weekend experience and be a fun way to build you confidence up! I thought Dopey was crazy- until I did 22.4 during Princess and then Dopey it didn't seem unreachable with the right training.

Have fun!

Welcome!

Great of you to have a long term goal in mind! As several have already said, you have plenty of time. I would suggest that over the next couple of years, work your way up to at least a half while building a solid running base. Start off slow and steady and grow from there.

Several friends of mine have had a marathon or several before running dopey and a few didn't. The few that didn't, wished they had run at least one full by itself. Experiencing each distance alone will give you a sense of recovery, expected pace, fuel needs, etc.

Watch next year's registration to find out how quickly or slowly each races sells out. Surprisingly, Dopey not only didn't sell out the first hour, but is still open 3+ months later! Now the 2018 edition is a big anniversary year so that might sell out quickly.

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited:

I'd suggest checking out/lurking around the current 2017 WDW Marathon weekend thread as well. Especially right after the race weekend in January to see everyone's Pro's and Con's for their trips. Or go back to the 2016 WDW Marathon weekend/Dopey threads for similar reasons (those threads might still be living on the WISH board.) I'm a big fan of old thread lurking :)

Thanks to all who replied with good solid advice and tips :). I started this week with a mile run/walk and came in at 13:02 just to see my starting point - which I thought was not too bad for an unfit older chunky lad like myself - I was like " I can do this". I have read other posts and decided not to get ahead of myself or too overexcited and think that I can run now......I can't. As of today I start the basics of the Couch to 5k for 9 weeks. The hardest part for me will be being patient. Now for some lurking for more inspiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter