Marathon Weekend 2016 Registration Question.

kstorms27

Mouseketeer
So it looks like we are a little late to the party. My wife and I have never ran a race at Disney. We wanted to do it next year during Marathon week. Unfortunately, the 2 races we are interested in are sold out already. The 5k and the 10k. What are the chances Disney will open the registration back up for more runners? TIA!

So it looks like we are a little late to the party. My wife and I have never ran a race at Disney. We wanted to do it next year during Marathon week. Unfortunately, the 2 races we are interested in are sold out already. The 5k and the 10k. What are the chances Disney will open the registration back up for more runners? TIA!
For those two races highly highly unlikely. Those two are really the most popular and have a limited number of spots.

I would guess there is very little chance that registration will re-open. Also, the 5K and 10K sold out in approximately 1-2 hours so if it does open back up for some reason it would likely be a very unpredictable and short window. Your best chance to find entries to the 2016 races would probably be to look through travel providers and charities, but those may also be pretty sparse at this point. I have never registered through a travel provider or charity, so I'm sorry to say I can't really provide any insight into how the process works, which ones are the most reputable, etc. but there are some listed on the registration tab on the rundisney website.

Registration usually opens to the public in late April (there is a limited early registration period for passholders and DVC, I believe). Registration usually sells out very quickly for the 10K, 5K, Half Marathon, and Dopey Challenge (usually in that order), so if you are unable to register for 2016 but still have interest in 2017 it would probably be wise to keep it in the back of your mind to check when registration opens and be ready. I believe there has been a sign-up on the rundisney webpage the last few years allowing you to get e-mail notifications on when race registrations open.

The first race I signed up for was the Half during Marathon Weekend 2012 and I did so in mid-September 2011 after registration had been open for a few months. This wasn't intentional, I never even knew of the existence of Marathon Weekend (or entertained the idea of running even ten steps) until that August. This year if someone waited a few hours after registration had opened it would have been sold out. So the popularity and rapid sellout of these events has really escalated quickly; to the point it has basically become a bit of a mantra that the hardest thing about running at Disney is getting registered.

@kstorms27 go here: http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

Click on Registration, and then Charity Groups or Travel Providers. If neither of those work out, look for another race weekend or be ready to sign up for next year. The 5Ks and 10Ks are very popular and have limited spots available (smaller races in general and a decent number of spots are taken up by challenge runners in some cases) and will sell out about an hour after registration opens.

There is hope, though.

If you go to the registration page and click on "Charity Groups" you can find charitable organizations that have openings for these races.

In addition, if you click "Travel Providers" there are partner travel companies that have openings available for these events. Keep in mind that the travel partners will possibly charge a premium and/or require you bundle vacation planning through them. I've never gone the charity or travel partner route so I can't speak intelligently on them....I'm just saying that there are still openings beyond those directly from runDisney.

I hope it works out for you!

Thanks everyone! Looks like Charity groups may be our only option because as DVC members, we don't plan to book thru a Travel agency. I guess we will just have to be more prepared the next time. This whole thing is so new to us.

We are DVC members as well, but that doesn't keep us from booking cash stays sometimes. If you guys really want to get into the 5 and 10K for the January event, and it requires a short hotel stay, then don't be afraid to do it.

For instance, Acclaim Travel (http://patstonetravel.com/walt-disney-world-marathon.php) has a 2 night minimum stay at hotels to be determined. The rates will likely be decent. Runners can share a room (good for family LOL). Lets you save your points for another stay, or a longer stay for this trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter