Marathon Weekend 2016

I know my deferal only goes to original race signed up for, what keels said was what I was trying to remember.... Brain fog!

Ok this is what I had seen mentioned before. It was going through a TA that I hadn't remembered.

Still trying to decide if I am ready to take on Dopey...
I'm taking your advice Keels, and signing up for a marathon ahead of January. Always appreciate the experience you share :)

I would make Keels' advice plan B. I would actually email runDisney now and ask them if you can just upgrade your deferral. It is the same "event" just a different challenge and it is more money. If you sign up for a 1/2 marathon you can always upgrade to a marathon now problem, provided there are openings. Well, get to them before registration even opens. Worst thing they can say is no.

I just watched Lee's videos. That was really good. I have seen his videos before and this one seemed like it was done different. Not that his other one's were bad, this just seemed to have different angles and stuff. Really nice.

I just watched Lee's videos. That was really good. I have seen his videos before and this one seemed like it was done different. Not that his other one's were bad, this just seemed to have different angles and stuff. Really nice.
Yeah I agree I think this video was better than his ones before.

I'm working on my "recaps" of the rest of the weekend, and I just remembered one of my most FAVORITE moments (mostly because I just watched the video my Dad sent me).

So, I find Rudy (RunDisney Emcee) to be a little bit of a beating - I get that his job is NOT easy, and making that kinda of large crowd "small talk" is hard, both before and certainly after a race.

But as we were approaching the finish line, I saw my parents directly to the left (my Mom may have yelled "I love you!" to me and started crying - now y'all know where I get it!), but I was focused on running through the finish line ... when I hear Rudy say "Hey! There's Keels! Get to the finish line, Keels! Everybody cheer for Keels - she's about to finish the Dopey Challenge!"

And yes, he said Keels because I had it in big letters on the front of my running shirt. But that was so amazing.

But as we were approaching the finish line, I saw my parents directly to the left (my Mom may have yelled "I love you!" to me and started crying - now y'all know where I get it!), but I was focused on running through the finish line ... when I hear Rudy say "Hey! There's Keels! Get to the finish line, Keels! Everybody cheer for Keels - she's about to finish the Dopey Challenge!"

And yes, he said Keels because I had it in big letters on the front of my running shirt. But that was so amazing.

I heard that! I watched the marathon at the finish line until it was over, and I heard that awesome shoutout. It was neat because I recognized your name from the boards.

I'm working on my "recaps" of the rest of the weekend, and I just remembered one of my most FAVORITE moments (mostly because I just watched the video my Dad sent me).

So, I find Rudy (RunDisney Emcee) to be a little bit of a beating - I get that his job is NOT easy, and making that kinda of large crowd "small talk" is hard, both before and certainly after a race.

I've listened to plenty of interviews with Rudy mainly on the Mickey miles podcast and he's said the best way to get a shout out is to put your name in big letters on your shirt. You did exactly that and got your shout out!

If you can handle Goofy mileage, you can handle Dopey mileage. The only real difference is the sleep deprivation since the other two races can be run at a relaxed pace - warm-ups for the more trying events.
Agreed. I've used the exact same training plan for the WDW Marathon, Goofy and Dopey.

If you can handle Goofy mileage, you can handle Dopey mileage. The only real difference is the sleep deprivation since the other two races can be run at a relaxed pace - warm-ups for the more trying events.
Agreed. I've used the exact same training plan for the WDW Marathon, Goofy and Dopey.

It's a little bit tricky, because everyone is not the same, but I would say that if you have confidence you can complete the marathon then you can probably complete the Dopey. Depending on your training plan and where you feel your level of fitness is the first three races can be completed at virtually whatever effort level you choose. I know that there are many plans for completing the Dopey ranging anywhere from attempting PR's in all four races to walking all 48.6 miles, so if you are prepared to run 26.2 miles I am pretty sure you can figure out a way to navigate the first 22.4 and still have most of your tank full for the Marathon.

Hi Buckeye!! Thanks for the encouragement.... I will consider this. But have to confess... I put myself in the lottery for NYC(!). I know the odds are highly against me......but someone has to get in!
I won't even think of dopey if I do that. But, might consider it if I do a Marathon earlier in the fall..... Or might not push it by doing a pre Disney marathon at all ... Nothing like decisiveness! things are still a bit tentative for me- thanks again for your input last fall btw- so I'm throwing it all in the air and seeing where it falls, letting the running spirits guide me :)
So excited at the least to be doing Goofy next January and finally maybe meet some of the great folks from here!

Thanks for all of your posts from this year everyone... I have enjoyed them :)

Hi Buckeye!! Thanks for the encouragement.... I will consider this. But have to confess... I put myself in the lottery for NYC(!). I know the odds are highly against me......but someone has to get in!
I am also in the NYC Marathon lottery, as are a few other Disers. Good luck!

I don't know why but NYC Marathon just doesn't appeal to me. I would die to do Boston, I would love to do Chicago, MCM, Big Sur and a few others. Maybe eventually NYC but at this point I just don't see it.

I am still trying to find a way to get back to marathon weekend and try to do either Goofy or Dopey. Hope to see some of you there next year.

I am also in the NYC Marathon lottery, as are a few other Disers. Good luck!

Good luck to us all!!

Added: I recently finished " A Race Like No Other" about the 2007 NY marathon. Well written, interesting book.
Really enjoyed it, not like the dud I read "first marathons" not particularly inspiring !!
And until next weeks book review......!!

Last edited:
@SarahDisney

You make a good amount of Kimberly Markeys 10K video! I was watching and then I was like OMG that's Sarah!

That's awesome! We saw them at a few character stops. I kinda knew who she was but didn't want to be really weird and say anything, but I was wondering if we would end up in a video or blog post of hers (especially since she took a picture of us ... and of course my eyes are closed). Thanks for posting this!

I also didn't realize how wet my hair looked from the back...

I don't know why but NYC Marathon just doesn't appeal to me. I would die to do Boston, I would love to do Chicago, MCM, Big Sur and a few others. Maybe eventually NYC but at this point I just don't see it.

NY holds no appeal to me either, mostly because I cannot support their practice of charging people a fee just to enter the lottery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter