Marathon Weekend 2018

I very much enjoy the 10k medal because:
A) Minnie Mouse
B) It appears that Mickey may be starting the race in the wrong direction and Minnie is all like "this sucker, man I'mma beat him"
C) glitter stars
D) the neck ribbon may have polka dots on it
E) Minnie Mouse

I'll try to contain my envy while y'all can be jealous that in a month I will be earning a medal that has both Mickey Mouse and a rando Turkey on it (the most coveted of rare disney characters!)

Thank you! After your analysis of last year's Minnie medal I needed to know this year's. I'm not going to lie, It would be better if they gave you a random turkey leg at the finish line instead of seeing a whole turkey on the medal.

But would someone cannibalize their medal for the jewels??

++++++++++++++

I would also like to point out that this EXACT medal is what @Z-Knight mentioned the Dopey medal should look like back for ... 2016? Yeah, I'm going to go with 2016 because that date feels right ...
woah, really...i feel like some Nostradamus - which feels cool, cause usually I'm just an a.ss. :)

Well, I did it - signed up for the full this morning. I will be running the half with my friends and family and running the full alone. I decided to run the full primarily because I have not been happy with my running this year and I needed a goal to force me to step up my game. Training for the half with people that I love is great, but I have used their goals as an excuse not to set my own goals for the year.

Not Dopey this year, but very happy to have joined the marathon club once again.

Roll Tide!!!

I very much enjoy the 10k medal because:
A) Minnie Mouse
B) It appears that Mickey may be starting the race in the wrong direction and Minnie is all like "this sucker, man I'mma beat him"
C) glitter stars
D) the neck ribbon may have polka dots on it
E) Minnie Mouse

I'll try to contain my envy while y'all can be jealous that in a month I will be earning a medal that has both Mickey Mouse and a rando Turkey on it (the most coveted of rare disney characters!)
i noticed all those things too and i was trying to figure out if there was some pattern to the stars. 1 for the 5k, 3 for 10k, 1 for half, but then it fell apart. the biggest issue i had is that mickey apparently loses the 10k and the half since he's running the wrong direction. for the 5k he's behind pluto so will likely lose too. only the full does he break the tape....maybe on the back of the full we see the back of mickey? or a balloon lady image?

goofy medal is odd to me...shape would be ok, but mickey and goofy get washed out because the medal background is just as shiny as they are.

i like the full medal better than the 20th anniversary because i dont have the 20th.

Last edited:

I'm still sad that race is gone and I never got a chance to run it. :(

I ran it in 2013 and 2014,it definitely wasn't a great course basically running towards AK on Osceola pkwy,never going into AK and just turning around.However everything else about it,the medal,it being a night race,being a Halloween themed race and seeing tons of runners in costumes more than made up for the course.I made sure to get there early to see the cool costumes.I still hold out hope for a new Halloween night race,hopefully a half so we can enter 2-3 parks.

I signed up for the marathon! I did the 20th anniversary marathon and really wanted to do this 25th anniversary race too, so... I bit the bullet and signed up. YIKES what am I doing.

My 20th medal is still my favorite but I've ALWAYS wanted a Disney marathon medal with big Mickey ears! This one has the ears, so I'm in. That is literally all I really wanted to see in this anniversary medal.

The yellow is completely not my taste, the "25" is hard to read, and "you can do it" seems like an odd message on a finisher's medal, but whatever. It's big and has Mickey ears and looks very Disney so I would be extremely happy to take this medal home (I hope - knock on wood!!).

:sunny:

Last edited:

Yeah, it was definitely a unique event, and you're not alone in missing it. It was a rare evening race, and the villain theming was also very cool. Also, the 2013 female winner was from my town, which was also neat. On the down side, it was the only Disney event where I've seen massive course-cutting. On the parkway section going out to Animal Kingdom, I witnessed probably 100+ runners cut miles off the course by running across the median. :sad2: Hopefully they didn't affect any of the awards with that behavior.

That's why I like the Philadelphia Broad Street 10 miler course. It's a straight line south on Broad Street, with the only turns being around City Hall. The original course ran through City Hall, but that caused a major logjam as the race got more popular. Technically, the course could be cut, there, but there's very little time savings, and it's quite heavily secured. I guess people could cut through the subway, but people might be staring at you funnily.

Well, I did it - signed up for the full this morning. I will be running the half with my friends and family and running the full alone. I decided to run the full primarily because I have not been happy with my running this year and I needed a goal to force me to step up my game. Training for the half with people that I love is great, but I have used their goals as an excuse not to set my own goals for the year.

Not Dopey this year, but very happy to have joined the marathon club once again.

Roll Tide!!!

Is there a way you could change that to a Goofy reg?

I've been MIA from this thread (and the Dis in general) for a few months, and was even debating not going down for the marathon after all (long story). I even looked into the flight cancellation process yesterday morning, but didn't want to pull the trigger yet. Then, lo-and-behold, the universe gives me a picture of that GORGEOUS marathon medal in the afternoon. :love: Yeah, I'm not cancelling my trip... LOL. Now, I just need to get my training back on track. I did a 10 mile race labor day weekend and then promptly left for vacation immediately following the race. I ran once while on vacation and haven't run since. :crazy2: Gotta get back on the horse because the training plan that stares me in the face every time I leave the house is not looking very friendly for someone who hasn't been running much lately.:guilty:

No Frozen Ever After dessert parties are going on in January until the 8th, the night after the marathon.

I'm wondering if the two are related, i.e. does the marathon weekend preparations affect their ability to hold that party? Or do they realize enough of us will be asleep before the party, so they decided not to bother?

No Frozen Ever After dessert parties are going on in January until the 8th, the night after the marathon.

I'm wondering if the two are related, i.e. does the marathon weekend preparations affect their ability to hold that party? Or do they realize enough of us will be asleep before the party, so they decided not to bother?
Well, the ride on Frozen happens after the fireworks which is technically after park close. All 4 races run through Epcot. They probably want all the time they can for race prep so it makes sense.

I'm running Dopey for the first time this year so I'm quite excited for that! Has RD announced when they'll release the corral placements and the official course maps for 2018? It's been a few years since I've done a MW race, but I was thinking that was all done in October. I was hoping they might change the course a little to include Pandora and some behind the scenes sneak peeks at DHS' new lands especially since it's the 25th.

I'm running Dopey for the first time this year so I'm quite excited for that! Has RD announced when they'll release the corral placements and the official course maps for 2018? It's been a few years since I've done a MW race, but I was thinking that was all done in October. I was hoping they might change the course a little to include Pandora and some behind the scenes sneak peeks at DHS' new lands especially since it's the 25th.
Those things won’t happen until much closer to race date.

As for Pandora, it would be nice but I’d hope we would still run by Everest to be able to ride that.

As for Pandora, it would be nice but I’d hope we would still run by Everest to be able to ride that.
And a lot of runners would hate the hills in Pandora. That whole land is hilly.

Lately they have been releasing that stuff 2-4 weeks before the weekend begins. Sometimes there are super sleuths that find the certified course maps on USATF website before Disney releases them.

I've never been in AK when Everest was open so that's never been an option for me. I usually make it through there just before it opens. I agree the hills would not be optimal, but it would've been cool to see it during the race (and still include Everest) for more park time! Less views of the waste water treatment plant and more park time has to be a plus right? They have to revise this year's course anyway due to the removal of the race track. That was still there last year wasn't it? I didn't run anything in 2017 so I wasn't sure.

I've never been in AK when Everest was open so that's never been an option for me. I usually make it through there just before it opens. I agree the hills would not be optimal, but it would've been cool to see it during the race (and still include Everest) for more park time! Less views of the waste water treatment plant and more park time has to be a plus right? They have to revise this year's course anyway due to the removal of the race track. That was still there last year wasn't it? I didn't run anything in 2017 so I wasn't sure.

Race track was gone and DHS construction had started last year, so there was an added "out and back" between the water treatment plant and DAK.

I've never been in AK when Everest was open so that's never been an option for me. I usually make it through there just before it opens.

Then slow down! :P

I agree the hills would not be optimal, but it would've been cool to see it during the race (and still include Everest) for more park time! Less views of the waste water treatment plant and more park time has to be a plus right? They have to revise this year's course anyway due to the removal of the race track. That was still there last year wasn't it? I didn't run anything in 2017 so I wasn't sure.

I'd like to see the course have that, too. The 2017 marathon course didn't have a lot of HS, mostly due to construction, and it seems like this year's course may have less of it. The '17 marathon did not have the run around the speedway, but it was made up by adding an approximately 1/4 mile leg each way down Western Way, which is right before AK, which, as JeffW said, is the water treatment plant. There's also been more course inside WWOS, which looks fairly dull.

Isn't WWOS where quite a few people got caught cutting the course?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter