Marathon Weekend 2018

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but one thing that really annoyed me during the marathon was the announcer at about mile 19. He just kept going on about how much it sucks right there in the race, and you're not even close, don't you hate when people tell you you're almost there when you're not? Well I'm here to tell you, you're not almost there, and everything hurts, etc. etc. It really took the wind out of my sails emotionally. Who wants that at that point in the race? I get that he was meaning to be funny but come on. A lot of people are really hurting right there and could use some pumped-up music and encouragement. I'm still thinking about it this many days later and have half a mind to send an email.

On the flip side, he was talking about how far the balloons were behind us (three miles) and we only had to keep it up for a few more miles. Not that I needed that knowledge, but I know it’s a HUGE relief for people. He was even looking up the course map and answering questions for runners.

These DJs only do this once a year and they’re out there for a longa$$ time. None of us are ever on top of our game all the time.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but one thing that really annoyed me during the marathon was the announcer at about mile 19. He just kept going on about how much it sucks right there in the race, and you're not even close, don't you hate when people tell you you're almost there when you're not? Well I'm here to tell you, you're not almost there, and everything hurts, etc. etc. It really took the wind out of my sails emotionally. Who wants that at that point in the race? I get that he was meaning to be funny but come on. A lot of people are really hurting right there and could use some pumped-up music and encouragement. I'm still thinking about it this many days later and have half a mind to send an email.

When I ran by he was going off on how crappy the course was that was left... two ramps and Hollywood Studios being under construction. Like, yes that's true but at least MOTIVATE ME to get me there. I just sort of slowed down and lost the momentum during the WWOS section. I put in my earbuds and was much happier after that.

So yes, I completely agree!

We had an announcer at the finish line of a race who was announcing finishers as they approached the final 100 meters or so and he kept saying stuff like, “you’re not going to let a girl beat you, are you?” Mind you, this was a run that benefits area schools and many of the runners were young. Not exactly the sort of sexist garbage you want to hear.

I didn’t email, but I’m guessing others did because his tone was different the next year.

On the flip side, he was talking about how far the balloons were behind us (three miles) and we only had to keep it up for a few more miles. Not that I needed that knowledge, but I know it’s a HUGE relief for people. He was even looking up the course map and answering questions for runners.

These DJs only do this once a year and they’re out there for a longa$$ time. None of us are ever on top of our game all the time.
Yes I remember him mentioning where the balloons were and such. That was nice.

I agree with others though that he did kind of drag on a bit. I kind of tuned him out and ended up finding @MommaoffherRocker at that point on course!

When I passed him he told us the last runner just passed mile 13 so even if you think you're far back,you're not that far back,he was annoying but I liked getting that information at that moment in the race.What's amazing is that even though this was my slowest full ever,I ran it sick,my legs turned to mush and today is the first day my legs feel back to normal I can't wait to sign up for next year,is this a sickness??

Yes I remember him mentioning where the balloons were and such. That was nice.

I agree with others though that he did kind of drag on a bit. I kind of tuned him out and ended up finding @MommaoffherRocker at that point on course!
Heyyyy Ryan :)

I agree he was rambling about not being near the finish, I think he said something like we looked rough but not back of the pack rough. Not really want you wanna hear but it was better than thinking about being tired and in pain. That is also when the corny jokes started. How does Luke Skywalker get through the woods?
EWOKS
I thought that was the funniest joke ever, clearly there was some marathon brain going on.

I also remember this guy. He was rambling about how long the WWOS section was and that you will begin to question why there are so many fields does Disney really need that many and to be honest I did start to question that as I ran on and pondered if they all get used, etc. It actually was kind of a nice mental distraction at that point. But I agree if I had heard the more negative comments it would have been a bit of a downer. I wish I had heard the comments on the ballon ladies as I was a tad bit nervous at that point as to their relation to me but once we were out and I could see all those still going in and no balloon ladies in sight gave me the pick me up to finish, that and sweet Caroline. I was not aware off that section totally put me in my happy place

I may do a report for the marathon, it being my 12th WDW Marathon in a row.
If I do 2019, it will mean I've done HALF OF THEM! :)
What do I get for being 13 perfect? Zip...Zero...Nada! :(

I was at Epcot for DATW but I couldn't find the RunDisney group. Bummer.

I don't really know what everyone looks like and me being new here, "Earning My Ears" they won't let me post an avatar of myself. Sigh*

I did run into and talk to a bunch of different groups of runners on Monday.
I also had my share of Tequila in Mexico and managed to shut down my first ever Disney ride.
That was Test Track around 4:30 PM. I think I was with the last group before it broke down for the day.
Kind of cool when they turned the lights on. Looks like it is past due for the annual cleaning!
I am an automation engineer and I was glad to see that the safety belts allowed removal when the ride was stopped.
Imagine a fire with people LOCKED in a vehicle? YIKES!!!

We are still missing our Oswald pics so I called today and she said they still have thousands to tag. She said call back if not up by next Weds.

I am still missing Mike and Sully from the half, and Oswald as well. Since I have not had anything added in about 36 hours, I sent photopass an e-mail, but it is good to know that they might still be sorting through pics.

First off, I want to thank everyone on this Board for their great advice. :disrocks:
I may not post too much (I am a new runner) but have learned so much from everyone’s experiences.

After last year’s Half that became a Full for me, I was determined to come back to do it again, even if it meant going on my own. Last year’s Full was a blur…I didn’t really enjoy it because I was basically in Survival Mode, I finished but it didn’t feel right. I knew I needed to do it again but which race?? Well, Goofy of course! I needed to run the Half that I was supposed to run and I loved being able to run through all 4 parks so I signed up!

Highlights from the weekend:
  • The HM was awesome despite the cold. I don’t think I stopped smiling the whole time. :)
  • The first half of the Full was great! Stopped for some characters and even rode EE, lost a banana on the way there. Area around WWoS was brutal for me…I was ready to burst into tears… but I got through it with the help of the Character Text Group. I ran Goofy solo so the group was a nice distraction.
  • Stopped in Mexico for a margarita and ran to the finish line with it in hand. I was very careful not to spill any! When I crossed that finish line, I felt such a sense of accomplishment …and exhaustion but so worth it.
  • I was a little nervous about going to DATW the following day as I don’t know anyone but I am glad I did. What a great group of people (even though I like bananas and cilantro). It was a lot of fun and it was too bad that I had to leave early to catch a flight. Next time I will leave the following day! View attachment 293793
Not sure if I will do 2019…depends on other vacation plans but I am definitely in for 2020!

It was so great to meet you, so I am glad you came!! I am out for 2019, but I am already contemplating a 10K/marathon combo for 2020.

When I got to him, he was going on and on about how is wife had talked him into running one year and to never beat your wife to the finish line by even one second. I think I just decided to tune him out.

Heyyyy Ryan :)

I agree he was rambling about not being near the finish, I think he said something like we looked rough but not back of the pack rough. Not really want you wanna hear but it was better than thinking about being tired and in pain. That is also when the corny jokes started. How does Luke Skywalker get through the woods?
EWOKS
I thought that was the funniest joke ever, clearly there was some marathon brain going on.

I must still have marathon brain, cause I just cackeled.

Highs:
Finishing my final Dopey
DATW on Monday

Lows:
The Weather
Ending up in a boot on Wednesday

I’ll elaborate more when I get my laptop fixed.

Oh no! I am glad you were able to take your victory lap around the World Showcase Monday!

I can understand why it may have bothered some but personally i loved it.

I wonder if he was the same guy playing Linkin Park’s “In the End” at mile 12 of the half. Who wants to hear “I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it doesn’t even matter” at the end of a half marathon?! At the time it sounded like a deliberate tongue-in-cheek choice.

I didn't have a problem with him but I think the way he phrased it when I was passing might have been different. He said it more as, he's run the race and he hates it when people tell him he's almost there at mile 4 and he feels like saying "you're almost there" should be banned until you reach Epcot, instead he was going to say "Keep up the good work. You're all going to finish. The balloon ladies are 4 miles behind you. Etc." I could see how depending on what he said/how he said it when you were passing it could definitely be a downer though.

So kind of you! My brother-in-law was looking for one of those dark blue 25th Anniversary Disney Marathon baseball caps. My son got one and my b-i-l liked it when he saw it on Monday. Of course by then the expo was over and none were to be found in Disney Springs. Thanks much!
I was able to get one at the Ear-Port on Monday night.

I didn't have a problem with him but I think the way he phrased it when I was passing might have been different. He said it more as, he's run the race and he hates it when people tell him he's almost there at mile 4 and he feels like saying "you're almost there" should be banned until you reach Epcot, instead he was going to say "Keep up the good work. You're all going to finish. The balloon ladies are 4 miles behind you. Etc." I could see how depending on what he said/how he said it when you were passing it could definitely be a downer though.

Yeah, I actually thought he was pretty good when we went by. We were waaaaaay at the back by that point (multiple stops along the way and taking our time) and lots of people were struggling. As we passed him, he let the crowd know that the last runner had just passed the mile 16 mark. He was telling everyone that if they just kept up their current pace they would be fine and to keep at it. He said in about 30 minutes he was going to have to start having a different conversation with people and he wasn't looking forward to that, but that we were all safe and to just keep at it. I think that encouraged a lot of people.

don't you hate when people tell you you're almost there when you're not?

A thousand times YES! Our local marathon here has a half that runs the same route then peels of at mile 13. Spectators are at mile 11 and mile 12 yelling "you're almost there!". I know they mean well but - daggone - it just makes me surly. :(

I'm still thinking about it this many days later and have half a mind to send an email.

Do it! I didn't hear it myself but that's pretty demoralizing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter